No announcement yet.

Future of club rugby in the province

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The shambles that is the Munster Branches handling of club rugby continues. Having been told numerous times by Thomond over the summer that they would not be entering the Senior Cup, the branch in their wisdom tried to bounce Thomond into it by including them in the draw done yesterday at the sponsors HQ. Following what was obviuosly a share of 'back channel' talks over night which concluded that Thomond would not be forced into playing it, an announcement is made today that Thomond were included 'in error' and that a redraw would have to be done. Word has that this is being done behind closed doors and the clubs branch reps have been shut out so that the clubs (or at least the clubs that don't have people on the branch committees) have no say on how to deal with this latest show of arrogant incompetence.

Comment

Originally posted by PEATB0G View Post
      The shambles that is the Munster Branches handling of club rugby continues. Having been told numerous times by Thomond over the summer that they would not be entering the Senior Cup, the branch in their wisdom tried to bounce Thomond into it by including them in the draw done yesterday at the sponsors HQ. Following what was obviuosly a share of 'back channel' talks over night which concluded that Thomond would not be forced into playing it, an announcement is made today that Thomond were included 'in error' and that a redraw would have to be done. Word has that this is being done behind closed doors and the clubs branch reps have been shut out so that the clubs (or at least the clubs that don't have people on the branch committees) have no say on how to deal with this latest show of arrogant incompetence.
      Probably better discussed in AIL thread but why did Thomond not want to enter the senior cup?
      When you say club reps are being shut out then that wouldn't necessarily be an issue as a redraw would be an issue relating to the competitions committee/a sub committee and all senior clubs have a representative on the full branch so they all have a person on the committee
      Would this not better be discussed in AIL/senior thread?

Comment

word is they tried to just give Munsters a bye into the second round and leave the rest of the draw as is, but that the Con mafia got wind of it and demanded a re draw as their side of the draw more difficult ( probably Garryown at home to Con in quarters with winners at home to Munsters in Semi )

Comment

Hard to believe that they'd re-draw just to keep Con happy? Surely once it's done, it's done.

Comment

Wouldn't be the first time a decision was made to keep Con happy.
            Its deja vu all over again!!!

Comment

Re-draw has been made. See AIL thread.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                Should look at changing more games to Saturdays but referees then are an issue as you need 3 officials for any AIL game and hard to get officials to go to another venue to do a game same day
                Reading through this thread for the first time. Interesting discussion. In relation to the above I actually think its easier at junior level (and maybe some senior clubs) to get lads out on a Sunday. Saturday is still a working day in rural areas for farmers, tradesmen and many students will work on saturdays as well

Also get far better crowds on sundays as most underage games are on Saturday mornings so anyone involved in those games could struggle to make a 2nd game in one day due to travel or simply not being in a positon to be gone for the entire day.

I think the ongoing creep of GAA club fixtures into Sept/oct and nov also a huge issue in that it all but stops anyone playing both bar the few committed enough to join in the rugby season 3 months into it

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Comment

Just Bumping this thread from the discussion as start of season to now where we're mid season. Junior leagues divisions 1-3 has seen only a small number of conceded games with those mainly in division 3 but senior seconds leagues are a joke with number of conceded games while the junior 2 leagues arent that bad.

Originally posted by bobbin View Post
                  Reading through this thread for the first time. Interesting discussion. In relation to the above I actually think its easier at junior level (and maybe some senior clubs) to get lads out on a Sunday. Saturday is still a working day in rural areas for farmers, tradesmen and many students will work on saturdays as well

Also get far better crowds on sundays as most underage games are on Saturday mornings so anyone involved in those games could struggle to make a 2nd game in one day due to travel or simply not being in a positon to be gone for the entire day.

I think the ongoing creep of GAA club fixtures into Sept/oct and nov also a huge issue in that it all but stops anyone playing both bar the few committed enough to join in the rugby season 3 months into it
                  I dont see Sundays as easier from my experience of refereeing adult junior games on Sunday. And Most underage games are still Sundays in Munster especially East/North and some west games.

Comment

My understanding is the the IRFU are planning a review of the Ulster Bank League structure at the end of the season. Based on conversations I have had with the clubs that OC have played this season there are mixed views on it. What are the views of those on this board??

Comment

Originally posted by Crescent boy 2 View Post
                      My understanding is the the IRFU are planning a review of the Ulster Bank League structure at the end of the season. Based on conversations I have had with the clubs that OC have played this season there are mixed views on it. What are the views of those on this board??
                      It depends on what changes. What is proposed to change? I assume there is talk of some regionalised divisions for the bottom divisions ie 2B/C?

Comment

That's one proposal I have heard. If you look at the current number of clubs in Division 2 one could split them most equally into 3 divisions of 10 based on provence. Only issue would be where the Galway teams and Sligo would end up. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Comment

That's one proposal I have heard. If you look at the current number of clubs in Division 2 one could split them most equally into 3 divisions of 10 based on provence. Only issue would be where the Galway teams and Sligo would end up. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.
                          Province would be one thing but even regionalised to an extent i dont see the point like why put likes of Highfield/Nenagh teams pushing for promotion from 2A in same league as Midleton/Bruff sides middle/bottom of 2C.

I dont think the AIL needs to go regionalised and think provincial leagues in some provinces need more work as well as seconds/thirds leagues.

Comment

A number of clubs have issues around the cost of travel which would average out currently around €15/€18k per season. By moving to 3 provincial based divisions one could have a playoff with the 2nd last team in 1B and the winners of the 3 divisions (bottom team automatically relegated). Academy and A players would be spread out across the teams in 1a & b, thus giving those players more game time (particularly important given the demise of the B&I cup). Wouldn't be in favour of regionalisation of Div 2 but could understand why it would be attractive.

Comment

A number of clubs have issues around the cost of travel which would average out currently around €15/€18k per season. By moving to 3 provincial based divisions one could have a playoff with the 2nd last team in 1B and the winners of the 3 divisions (bottom team automatically relegated). Academy and A players would be spread out across the teams in 1a & b, thus giving those players more game time (particularly important given the demise of the B&I cup). Wouldn't be in favour of regionalisation of Div 2 but could understand why it would be attractive.
                              I dont see it working though. Costs may go down but does it help clubs in any way other than that. Its not going to help people go in the gate to games. Academy players by and large are already in division 1 except for Ulster/Connacht who dont have the clubs in higher divisions to play them there.

Comment

Is there a possibility of regionalising the lower divisions north and south? I can't see provincial system working for the reasons OL gave.
                                He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X