Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Future of club rugby in the province

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #46
    Word on the internet now is , a German billionaire is trying to get a club in to the pro 12
    usa and Canada too - 2 division event
    employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings,so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for. "socrates"
    beware the barrenness of a busy life, "socrates "
    who are you to judge the life i live? I know i'm not perfect-and i don't live to be-but before you start pointing fingers...make sure you hands are clean." BOB MARLEY
    we are what we repeatedly do.excellance,then,is not an act,but a habit ''aristotle''

    Comment


      #47
      A major problem getting teams in lower levels all over the province is relatively low population figures and a large number of other sports competing for the players. More needs to be done by those at the top of our sport to encourage participation from age grade up through the adult game, but they are focused totally on providing players for the professional game.
      The development of players for the professional game is very important but the amateur side of the sport is the heart and soul of rugby in Munster and if we lose that the future is bleak

      Comment


        #48
        Originally posted by locomotion View Post
        A major problem getting teams in lower levels all over the province is relatively low population figures and a large number of other sports competing for the players. More needs to be done by those at the top of our sport to encourage participation from age grade up through the adult game, but they are focused totally on providing players for the professional game.
        The development of players for the professional game is very important but the amateur side of the sport is the heart and soul of rugby in Munster and if we lose that the future is bleak
        It is but the competitions need to be changed to help teams field more. Gleeson league is great but has too many groups and probably too many teams.
        Those at the top are not so focused on just the top level and the pro game and if you and others feel they are why not then look for clubs to have more responsibility in making changes to competition.

        Comment


          #49
          The idea is to have as many teams as possible, the formats could and should be altered to encourage clubs to field more teams and fulfill fixtures. The clubs have looked for more of a say in changing how competitions are run but there is so much red tape in trying to get decisions passed and ratified it just isn't funny

          Comment


            #50
            Originally posted by locomotion View Post
            The idea is to have as many teams as possible, the formats could and should be altered to encourage clubs to field more teams and fulfill fixtures. The clubs have looked for more of a say in changing how competitions are run but there is so much red tape in trying to get decisions passed and ratified it just isn't funny
            You keep saying red tape but the clubs have the power to cut the red tape. They are "the branch". Leinster changed the j1-j6 leagues to linked divisions of 1-11 and this has helped the competitions and cups be much better than the older system. Munster cant do that as there isnt the teams for it but perhaps the j2 leagues/gleeson league anyway could be shortened and have fewer teams compete and make it more competitive and add a j3 league or have a lot of groups instead of 2 leagues which are too big and too uncompetitive

            Comment


              #51
              Why don't you get your own club to bring these proposals to the regional committee and get it passed up along the system so the changes can be made. All competitions have to be sanctioned by the Branch so this is the only way to do it

              Comment


                #52
                The idea is to have as many teams as possible, the formats could and should be altered to encourage clubs to field more teams and fulfill fixtures.
                Those at the top are not so focused on just the top level and the pro game and if you and others feel they are why not then look for clubs to have more responsibility in making changes to competition.

                Comment


                  #53
                  Originally posted by locomotion View Post
                  Why don't you get your own club to bring these proposals to the regional committee and get it passed up along the system so the changes can be made. All competitions have to be sanctioned by the Branch so this is the only way to do it
                  don't live or work in Munster so can't do much if not here...



                  Originally posted by lely1103 View Post
                  The idea is to have as many teams as possible, the formats could and should be altered to encourage clubs to field more teams and fulfill fixtures.
                  Those at the top are not so focused on just the top level and the pro game and if you and others feel they are why not then look for clubs to have more responsibility in making changes to competition.
                  the competitions should be altered but how is the issue? I would alter the j1 leagues as well as j2 and senior seconds but don't see clubs wanting that to happen

                  Comment


                    #54
                    Some years now since I helped run a rural Junior club, but the elephant in the room in any discussion of club rugby is the sheer difficulty in keeping any club going, at all, at whatever grade. There are exceptions but it is tough getting a team out every Sunday, especially away from home. With small squads, a few injuries or retirements can push a club from top half of table respectability to a relegation dog fight inside the same season. This is especially so IMO in the smaller Munster towns, absent anomalies like Kilfeacle and Galbally.

                    Comment


                      #55
                      Originally posted by isola ciarrai View Post
                      Some years now since I helped run a rural Junior club, but the elephant in the room in any discussion of club rugby is the sheer difficulty in keeping any club going, at all, at whatever grade. There are exceptions but it is tough getting a team out every Sunday, especially away from home. With small squads, a few injuries or retirements can push a club from top half of table respectability to a relegation dog fight inside the same season. This is especially so IMO in the smaller Munster towns, absent anomalies like Kilfeacle and Galbally.
                      Should look at changing more games to Saturdays but referees then are an issue as you need 3 officials for any AIL game and hard to get officials to go to another venue to do a game same day

                      Comment


                        #56
                        Changing more games to Saturdays creates more of a problem that the provision of referees, the availability of pitches specially in the wet winter months would be a major issue with clubs holding the pitch for the most senior game leading to more cancellations.

                        Living and working outside Munster should not be an excuse for putting proposals to the branch, since you speak with such authority on the domestic game in Munster surely you have contacts within some club that you could sound out about making proposals to the branch

                        Comment


                          #57
                          Originally posted by locomotion View Post
                          Changing more games to Saturdays creates more of a problem that the provision of referees, the availability of pitches specially in the wet winter months would be a major issue with clubs holding the pitch for the most senior game leading to more cancellations.

                          Living and working outside Munster should not be an excuse for putting proposals to the branch, since you speak with such authority on the domestic game in Munster surely you have contacts within some club that you could sound out about making proposals to the branch
                          Moving more games to Saturday does bring up other issues and availability of pitches isnt an excuse. There is options and it can be done.
                          And drop the attitude. I have little to no option to use my voice in official capacity if not involved in the game directly within the province and surely you would be able to see that

                          Comment


                            #58
                            It's not an attitude but I do get sick at times fighting what seems to be always a losing battle for the club game to have people not involved running down all the work by volunteers all over the province. I have no problem whatsoever with constructive comments or suggestions but to just try and pick holes the what the clubs are trying at all levels annoys me a lot

                            Comment


                              #59
                              Availability of pitches is not being used as an excuse for not switching more games to Saturday , it is the biggest stumbling block because the most important things you need for a game is two teams and a pitch, despite how important the MAR think they are lack of an appointed referee can be surmounted.

                              Comment


                                #60
                                Originally posted by locomotion View Post
                                Availability of pitches is not being used as an excuse for not switching more games to Saturday , it is the biggest stumbling block because the most important things you need for a game is two teams and a pitch, despite how important the MAR think they are lack of an appointed referee can be surmounted.
                                pitches isnt as much an issue as getting suitably qualified refs to do games. Playing more games back to back would work fine if clubs did it and how would you deal with the referee issue if you think it could be overcome bearing in mind if junior 1 games were moved to Saturdays it would mean big changes as you need level 3 referees to ref too levels of junior adult rugby and they quite often will be doing ail touch on Saturdays...

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X