Un landais au Munster

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Un landais au Munster

Did anybody here hear about a man named Régis Sonnes ?..
    Régis Sonnes was born in Mont-de-Marsan 44 years ago. I could have said he is a pure enemy of my clan… Between the « Culs Rouges » (« Red Asses ») from Dax and the « Abeilles (« Bees ») from Mont-de-Marsan, that’s a long and traditional history of rivalry. Most of all since our « Crunchou », the famous final that was played on Sunday , june 4th 1963 (I was only 15 days old…) in Bordeaux, and as Stade Montois won the title 9-6 in a special game, taking us once more away from winning the championship, and contributing to make US Dax the worse final contender in the french rugby History (We played 5 finals, lost all, and as the wind of History blows, we won’t ever have any chance to be Champions). But for my part, as an outsider who loves his region of adoption, I won’t ever consider the Black and Yellows from the prefecture as my enemies. Quite the opposite. This part of France is in me, and when my days will come to the end, I will join my family for the eternity in this sandy region I love so much.
    Pure product of the « formation montoise » (Mont-de-Marsan schooling ?), he left the Landes for Toulouse where he won three Championships, and after having played in Brive (European finalist 1998, beaten by Bath in the 82nd minute)) and Agen, he came back to his roots (ProD2 winner with Stade Montois). And after he left the professional rugby, with a bunch of true friends he created a rugby club in Campet-et-Lamolère, a 332 residents village (8th division Champion in 2005, 2 years after the birth of the club).
    Then, he chose to become a coach. He belonged to different staffs in Agen, Narbonne, Madrid, and most of all he coached the Union Bordeaux-Bègles forwards 4 seasons long.
    So, why do I introduce you this man ? Simply because as he decided to leave the professional world at the end of the last season, and headed to… Bandon, County Cork, where he became the Rugby Director in the Grammar School and coach of the venerable and History rich club there. So, if you meet a guy with a strange exotic cap on his head, our traditional « béret », don’t be surprised. My brother rubbed shoulders with him years ago and told me he is a super guy, and as I refer to all I read about him, as player, as coach, as man, I fully agree. I wish him the best and the biggest pleasure among you.
    Suerte, Régis ! Gwan Bandon ! Gwan Munster !

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/one-of-french-rugbys-best-coaches-is-moving-to-ireland-to-take-over-a-small-club-in-west-cork-34685342.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	regis-sonnes-hier-sur-les-quais-de-la-garonne-a-bordeaux-il-sera-a-la-rentree-le-directeur-rugby.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.9 KB
ID:	2497701

Click image for larger version

Name:	dimanche-de-match-pour-regis-sonnes-et-ses-hommes-sur-le-terrain-bucolique-de-newcastle-west-au-.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	2497702
    "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Fantastic! You have yet another reason to visit, mon ami ...
    Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Merci. That's wonderful.
      "We are going to hope to keep improving the environment in Munster. It’s about improving and setting standards where players and coaches can improve. Hopefully we can offer that more than just money.” Johann Van Graan 20/12/2017

Comment

Thanks for sharing J-N
        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

School Regis is coaching - Bandon Grammar - u18s got the to final of the Bowen Shield in December (lost v Rockwell) and are in the Schools Cup semis for the first time in the history of the competition - since 1909. Also at least five lads with Munster Schools or Clubs caps in last couple of years, James French (u19), Sean Hudson (u19), Colin Deane (u18), Ethan Greene (u18) and Travis Coomey (u18).

Comment

Originally posted by JN.Allezdax.com View Post
            Did anybody here hear about a man named Régis Sonnes ?..
            Régis Sonnes was born in Mont-de-Marsan 44 years ago. I could have said he is a pure enemy of my clan… Between the « Culs Rouges » (« Red Asses ») from Dax and the « Abeilles (« Bees ») from Mont-de-Marsan, that’s a long and traditional history of rivalry. Most of all since our « Crunchou », the famous final that was played on Sunday , june 4th 1963 (I was only 15 days old…) in Bordeaux, and as Stade Montois won the title 9-6 in a special game, taking us once more away from winning the championship, and contributing to make US Dax the worse final contender in the french rugby History (We played 5 finals, lost all, and as the wind of History blows, we won’t ever have any chance to be Champions). But for my part, as an outsider who loves his region of adoption, I won’t ever consider the Black and Yellows from the prefecture as my enemies. Quite the opposite. This part of France is in me, and when my days will come to the end, I will join my family for the eternity in this sandy region I love so much.
            Pure product of the « formation montoise » (Mont-de-Marsan schooling ?), he left the Landes for Toulouse where he won three Championships, and after having played in Brive (European finalist 1998, beaten by Bath in the 82nd minute)) and Agen, he came back to his roots (ProD2 winner with Stade Montois). And after he left the professional rugby, with a bunch of true friends he created a rugby club in Campet-et-Lamolère, a 332 residents village (8th division Champion in 2005, 2 years after the birth of the club).
            Then, he chose to become a coach. He belonged to different staffs in Agen, Narbonne, Madrid, and most of all he coached the Union Bordeaux-Bègles forwards 4 seasons long.
            So, why do I introduce you this man ? Simply because as he decided to leave the professional world at the end of the last season, and headed to… Bandon, County Cork, where he became the Rugby Director in the Grammar School and coach of the venerable and History rich club there. So, if you meet a guy with a strange exotic cap on his head, our traditional « béret », don’t be surprised. My brother rubbed shoulders with him years ago and told me he is a super guy, and as I refer to all I read about him, as player, as coach, as man, I fully agree. I wish him the best and the biggest pleasure among you.
            Suerte, Régis ! Gwan Bandon ! Gwan Munster !

http://www.independent.ie/sport/rugby/one-of-french-rugbys-best-coaches-is-moving-to-ireland-to-take-over-a-small-club-in-west-cork-34685342.html

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15151[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]15152[/ATTACH]
            My son is playing with Bandon RFC - I have met Regis in the club ! Nice guy even if he is an enemy of your clan :-)
            "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns

Comment

Maybe because I am neither from Dax or from Mont-de-Marsan I never felt involved in such a local rivalry, despite I felt in the red-and-white USD pot as I was a child. But tradition dies hard, and some traces from it remain, some among both club supporters stay tough. This is a part of the folklore.
              Best wishes to him anyway, and good luck to your so History and traditions rich club.
              "To be energetic and self-sufficing is to be happy; but while one desire remains in the heart happiness may not come there. For to desire is to be incomplete: it is the badge of dependence, the signal of unhappiness, and to be freed from that is to be freed from every fetter that can possibly be forged." (James Stephens, Deirdre)

Comment

Rumours this morning that Munster are negotiating a new coaching appointment in Regis Sonnes as forwards coach, while Ulster also linked with Jono Gibbes for the head coach role.
                and my home, my home is there.

Comment

Gibbes would be a massive acquisition for Ulster.
                  Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by mr chips View Post
                    Gibbes would be a massive acquisition for Ulster.
                    Agreed. Would prefer to see him appointed as Connacht head coach though. Shame he dismissed links to the role.
                    and my home, my home is there.

Comment

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/rugby/munst...coaches/112960

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
                      The only difference between me and a madman is that I'm not mad.
                      - Salvador Dali (1904-1989)

Comment

Interesting on Sonnes, sounds like a good move
                        "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Will he agree to move from Bandon, though? ��Gateway to West Cork

Comment

A little birdie told me he would accept if the training center and half the Munster games come to Cork...

Well there, if I do not add fuel on some rivalry embers...
                            Last edited by JN.Allezdax.com; 13th-February-2017, 16:33.

Comment

http://www.the42.ie/munster-regis-so...41769-Feb2017/

Only heard about this today, spoke to a friend who mentioned a figure that he is rumoured to be on, nice money but nowhere near the money in France. Must be nice for him to be in a beautiful part of the country, in a more relaxed set-up training young lads who are full of potential, not being recognised day in day out and left to get on with his work.

Kudos to whoever broker the deal, a bit of joined up thinking between the Club and the School, other places could easily follow suit Midleton, Tralee, Kinsale spring to mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X