Club Rugby Limerick V Cork

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Club Rugby Limerick V Cork

With UL being chosen as the home base for munster rugby regarding training I would imagine this would have a knock on effect with the quality of players that will play club rugby in cork. Any good player that is from Cork that thinks he has a chance of making it at Munster would be filling out the Limerick Colleges (Lit, ul, mary i) as his first chose on his cao form if he wishes to pursue a third level education. This would increase the quality of young players playing club rugby in Limerick and would have serious consequences for the clubs in cork.

I know that the munster branch stated that if a player is from cork, he will play his club rugby in cork (stand to be corrected on that) but it would be a bit much for a playing to be studying in Limerick and be in the munster academey/senior squad and training in Limerick full time and expect him to travel to cork twice a week for training and matches while studying a full time college course.

What way do you think this situation will pan out ?????. Just seeking other people's views !!!

This thread has potential
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Robert1984 View Post
      With UL being chosen as the home base for munster rugby regarding training I would imagine this would have a knock on effect with the quality of players that will play club rugby in cork. Any good player that is from Cork that thinks he has a chance of making it at Munster would be filling out the Limerick Colleges (Lit, ul, mary i) as his first chose on his cao form if he wishes to pursue a third level education. This would increase the quality of young players playing club rugby in Limerick and would have serious consequences for the clubs in cork.

I know that the munster branch stated that if a player is from cork, he will play his club rugby in cork (stand to be corrected on that) but it would be a bit much for a playing to be studying in Limerick and be in the munster academey/senior squad and training in Limerick full time and expect him to travel to cork twice a week for training and matches while studying a full time college course.

What way do you think this situation will pan out ?????. Just seeking other people's views !!!
      Part 2 of the limerick vs cork ****e
      munster all the way
      employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings,so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for. "socrates"
      beware the barrenness of a busy life, "socrates "
      who are you to judge the life i live? I know i'm not perfect-and i don't live to be-but before you start pointing fingers...make sure you hands are clean." BOB MARLEY
      we are what we repeatedly do.excellance,then,is not an act,but a habit ''aristotle''

Comment

Survival of club rugby in its entirety is a massive concern. As others have said though the gap is widening between pro players and amateur players.
        I am the million man.

Comment

The fire is now L.I.T. and U.L. soon see that this thread will soon descend into a crowd of half-W.I.T.'s C.I.T.ing around taking the M.I.C. out of U.C.C.'s.
          "Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too ?" - Douglas Adams

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy View Post
            The fire is now L.I.T. and U.L. soon see that this thread will soon descend into a crowd of half-W.I.T.'s C.I.T.ing around taking the M.I.C. out of U.C.C.'s.
            Steady!
            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by jmccoy View Post
              You forget a few - c.i.a , n.s.a where's the conspiracy
              employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings,so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for. "socrates"
              beware the barrenness of a busy life, "socrates "
              who are you to judge the life i live? I know i'm not perfect-and i don't live to be-but before you start pointing fingers...make sure you hands are clean." BOB MARLEY
              we are what we repeatedly do.excellance,then,is not an act,but a habit ''aristotle''

Comment

Les responsables de l’enseignement ont évoqué des économies atteignant « un montant gigantesque qui affectera le fonctionnement des écoles ».

L’ensemble des secteurs visés par les coupes claires annoncées mercredi au Parlement par le gouvernement flamand dans le cadre des économies budgétaires ont réagi tantôt catastrophés, tantôt avec l’espoir d’encore pouvoir corriger le tir.

Les secteurs socio-culturels qui font face à un effort dépassant les 5 % avaient déjà réagi. Mercredi, les départements communautaires les plus importants, l’enseignement et l’audiovisuel ont donné de la voix.

L’Union des villes et des communes flamandes, sous tutelle régionale, a demandé à voir rapidement le gouvernement afin d’éclaircir la situation. Alors que l’enseignement (catholique, communautaire, communal) a évoqué des mesures d’économies visant 2,3 et 4,5 % des moyens de fonctionnement, respectivement pour l’enseignement fondamental et secondaire, les villes et communes ont appris mercredi qu’on toucherait également à l’encadrement, ce qui aura des répercussions pour les écoles et le personnel enseignant à tous les niveaux. Dans le secondaire, l’enseignement technique et professionnel devrait être le plus touché. Des augmentations des droits d’inscription pour l’enseignement non obligatoire (culturel, adultes…) sont également annoncées.
                We'll engrave your name in gold, as we did in days of old.
                Roll along lovely Axel, roll along.

Comment

So this is where we argue about player availability in Limerick vs Cork, rather than recognising that in reality everyone has ****ed off to Dublin or gone abroad?

The availability of the odd Academy player is slightly academic, I suspect.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Don't see how the branch can legislate where someone actually plays, it's an individual choice, what next, you can only live in Dooradoyle to play with Garryowen.
                    How many club players is this going to affect, three or four maybe, what about lads who study in Waterford, Kerry etc are they to be left out of the equation, it's Munster rugby, not the limerick/ Cork combined team.
                    psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

The home of rugby

Comment

Originally posted by treatycity1 View Post
                        How many club players is this going to affect, three or four maybe, what about lads who study in Waterford, Kerry etc are they to be left out of the equation, it's Munster rugby, not the limerick/ Cork combined team.
                        Lads who study in Waterford or Tralee are not playing senior rugby of any kind. Tralee and Waterpark have junior sides and the IT's have crap development sides.

To answer your question there are 9 players in the main academy currently based in Cork, 5 for Dolphin and 4 for Con. Some of these guys are going to be big players for Munster in the next few years and are crucial to these clubs.

As Balla has mentioned we are also losing a sh*t load of players to Dublin, watching Cork and limerick lads being key to Dublin clubs beating our sides in galling stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by wellboy View Post
                          Lads who study in Waterford or Tralee are not playing senior rugby of any kind. Tralee and Waterpark have junior sides and the IT's have crap development sides.

To answer your question there are 9 players in the main academy currently based in Cork, 5 for Dolphin and 4 for Con. Some of these guys are going to be big players for Munster in the next few years and are crucial to these clubs.

As Balla has mentioned we are also losing a sh*t load of players to Dublin, watching Cork and limerick lads being key to Dublin clubs beating our sides in galling stuff.
                          thanks for the info, didn't know how many were in the academy, but is it not the case that a lot of the academy guys are 17/ 18 years old and might only be playing under 20s with their club. Club rugby is not just senior sides and glory days.
                          psychoanalysis is wasted on the Irish; Sigmund Freud

Comment

thanks for the info, didn't know how many were in the academy, but is it not the case that a lot of the academy guys are 17/ 18 years old and might only be playing under 20s with their club. Club rugby is not just senior sides and glory days.
                            All these lads are out of school and the vast majority are overage for u20 rugby also, some up to 23 years old. These lads are leading the way at the clubs they are playing with, guys like Madigan, Scannaill, Sweetnam and Rory Burke are all very good players who stand out massively at AIL level. Taking these guys out of clubs like Con and Dolphin would essentially take a third of their starting 15 out of the equation (all hypothetical) and ruin them. They wouldnt survive in division 1A without the support of academy players.

Its easy for Limerick guys to dismiss this as a non event and laugh off the concerns but how would a shannon clubman like it if all their academy lads (4-5?) were all relocated down to Cork? As a cork club and munster supported I wouldnt be happy with that either. This doesnt have to be a Limerick V Cork standoff for everyone to appreciate the scale and implications of this.

Comment

Don't see how the branch can legislate where someone actually plays, it's an individual choice, what next, you can only live in Dooradoyle to play with Garryowen.
                              I thought Shannon and Young Munster picked exclusively from the Parish and the Yellow Road respectively.

The club game should remain amateur and be separate from the pro side. Players deemed good enough for Munster should say farewell to club rugby. Injuries to amateur players are waiting to happen from playing against pros, amateur boxers do not box against pros.
                              Amateur players need to rediscover the enjoyment and fun involved in rugby, leave gym monkeys to the pro sides, start touring again.

The majority of club players are not good enough for the pro game. This is not to discourage anyone with ambition or dreams of a pro career but a dose of reality needs to take hold.
                              A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Working...
                              X