The Ted Stack Memorial Highfield thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ted Stack Memorial Highfield thread

There should have been a Highfield thread long ago, and in memory of the great man, I'm naming it after Teddy, the first person I met walking in the gates of Highfield as a callow 11 year old. He was the soul of Highfield.

Anyway, I was listening to Eoin "The Bomber" Liston being interviewed on radio and he mentioned he played Under 17 rugby for Highfield, alongside Tim Kennelly in the second row, back around 1974/5. I knew Moss Keane had played his first game of rugby for Highfield, before being snapped up by UCC, but Liston and Kennelly were new ones on me.

Diarmuid 'The Rock' O Sullivan was a winger with their 2nds about 3/4 years ago!

Comment

And Shea Fahy should have been capped for Ireland out of Highfield. Top class No. 8.

Comment

Massive win up in Derry yesterday in atrocious conditions.A win for Derry would have put them second in the table and they took a 14 point lead after 20 minutes so it was a great comeback for Highfield to score 17 unanswered points.
        3 wins out of 3 since Christmas and an arguably easier run-in than the other teams in the bottom half of the table should see us safe from relegation.

Comment

Highfield and Banbridge have superb run ins in comparison to Bruff, Naas, Seapoint, OC, Bective, would could all be in the mix depend on Bruffs results. Highfield should stay up with their run in.

Comment

Originally posted by Bromance View Post
            Diarmuid 'The Rock' O Sullivan was a winger with their 2nds about 3/4 years ago!
            He even had a senior game! Was a train when moving but just lacked the instinct to pass etc that comes from growing up playing! Doing a job for Midleton at the moment tho...in all honestly it was a bit more of a publicity stunt than anything else!!

On a related note we are getting match quality floodlights in the next few weeks so should hopefully get a few Friday night fixtures next year...

Comment

Originally posted by Point View Post
              There should have been a Highfield thread long ago, and in memory of the great man, I'm naming it after Teddy, the first person I met walking in the gates of Highfield as a callow 11 year old. He was the soul of Highfield.

Anyway, I was listening to Eoin "The Bomber" Liston being interviewed on radio and he mentioned he played Under 17 rugby for Highfield, alongside Tim Kennelly in the second row, back around 1974/5. I knew Moss Keane had played his first game of rugby for Highfield, before being snapped up by UCC, but Liston and Kennelly were new ones on me.

Think Ogie Moran played FB for Garryowen U20 around the time Tony Ward joined.

Comment

Fair play Point for naming the Thread after Stackie. A great Highfield man and character.
                Good to see the seniors making their way out of trouble. It would be a shame to drop down after the hard work of getting promoted a couple of seasons ago.

Current Cork Football coach Brian Cuthbert also lined out for the Field as a backrower.

Comment

Originally posted by wrangy View Post
                  Fair play Point for naming the Thread after Stackie. A great Highfield man and character.
                  Good to see the seniors making their way out of trouble. It would be a shame to drop down after the hard work of getting promoted a couple of seasons ago.

Current Cork Football coach Brian Cuthbert also lined out for the Field as a backrower.
                  Yes indeed he did, how could I have forgotten, and an excellent tough player he was too. He played until he had to make a choice. Pity he didn't stick with the rugby. I should also have mentioned the Cogan brothers and All Ireland winner Barry Coffey who played in the centre for the U20s.

Comment

[QUOTE=wrangy;1334103]Fair play Point for naming the Thread after Stackie. A great Highfield man and character.

Second That - Stackie was a great "Field Man" and made everyone welcome ! He excelled in taking care of the oposition and was always larger that life. Remember one day I was up early for a game and he was explaining to a few of us why he didn't wear any socks....not sure was he taking the P**s but I always remember it. I Wonder are all those great club men gone for good !!
                    Last edited by gerwebb; 6th-February-2014, 00:06.

Comment

Originally posted by gerwebb View Post
                      Second That - Stackie was a great "Field Man" and made everyone welcome ! He excelled in taking care of the oposition and was always larger that life. Remember one day I was up early for a game and he was explaining to a few of us why he didn't wear any socks....not sure was he taking the P**s but I always remember it. I Wonder are all those great club men gone for good !!
                      No, he was a committed Vegan, back when it was almost unheard of and VERY difficult to live by. He didn't wear shoe leather either, but in fairness he was always known for making Stackie's Touchflag Beef Stew in the club kitchen ! Ted was also big into yoga, and was extremely agile for a man of his years (he even tried to get me doing yoga, but unfortunately without success !!!). It said a lot to me that when Cork Con had invited all the club presidents for their (IIRC) centenary dinner, they made a point of inviting Stackie as well. That was ironic because along with Ned O'Connor on the Con side, the two of them instilled the spirit of the Cons/Highfield rivalry into the Under Unders !

Comment

Great win in the Junior Cup away to Kanturk,winning 29-3 with 4 tries in poor conditions.Lots of guys putting their hand up for a 1st team place.

Comment

I didn't realise that we are still in danger of being relegated. I hear that 3rd last go into a playoff against 3rd in Div 2B. Big one so next weekend and even if we win we are depending on others above losing. It would be a shame to go down so quickly after only going up the season before last.

Comment

I didn't realise that we are still in danger of being relegated. I hear that 3rd last go into a playoff against 3rd in Div 2B. Big one so next weekend and even if we win we are depending on others above losing. It would be a shame to go down so quickly after only going up the season before last.
                            Yeah that's the case. Were ye not in similar situation in 11/12 when ye finished 3rd in 2B and beat Thomond to go up to 2A

Comment

Originally posted by minor b View Post
                              Great win in the Junior Cup away to Kanturk,winning 29-3 with 4 tries in poor conditions.Lots of guys putting their hand up for a 1st team place.
                              Cool my nephew on the team ! - Later Edit - thought this was the game in Clonmel yesterday .....doh.... anyone know result ?
                              Last edited by SkullinPints; 24th-March-2014, 15:56. Reason: Stupidity on my part!
                              "I've got lots of potatos that need peeling and manure that needs shovelling" -M. Burns

Comment

Working...
                              X