Gleeson League 2013-2014

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gleeson League 2013-2014

A thread for the enigma that is 3rd's rugby, also known as the Gleeson league.

Anyone have any results from the weekend?

Richmond won 20-0 against Kilfeacle.

Comment

Boh's and Fethard drew 13 all. Garryowen beat Clanwilliam 34-15. Crescent beat Galbally 18-0. Thomond beat NCW 34-0. That's all the results I'm aware of.
      On the internet, you can be anything you want. It always amazes me why so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

O sweet suffering jebus can't we for once leave the gleeson league be
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
          O sweet suffering jebus can't we for once leave the gleeson league be
          Whats the issue? I think the new format of home and away is good.
          On the internet, you can be anything you want. It always amazes me why so many people choose to be stupid.

Comment

Agreed.
            No issues, Woggas, just disillusionment with emigration, the price of fuel, decimated teams and clubs. So there.
            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by Woggas View Post
              Whats the issue? I think the new format of home and away is good.
              Yeah I think the home and away format is good. Are the A & B sections randomly drawn out?

Woogas I see Old Crescent have started very strongly. They must have a strong squad do you know?

Comment

Originally posted by stringerbell View Post
                Yeah I think the home and away format is good. Are the A & B sections randomly drawn out?

Woogas I see Old Crescent have started very strongly. They must have a strong squad do you know?
                I've no clue as to how they divided up the teams. I presume they took the traveling to county teams into account, but that's just guess work. The home and away format works really well, mainly because your season can be over if you lose two games in the old format, so it keeps lads interested. The format over the last few years has been almost like two seasons. You have the McInerney cup first up and then the league, then there was a break after Christmas to the Webb cup, which didn't start until end of February or early March.

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                Agreed.
                No issues, Woggas, just disillusionment with emigration, the price of fuel, decimated teams and clubs. So there.
                Its really tough these days isn't it. Going through lists of players and so many of them playing in NZ, Aus, the US and Canada, it's kinda disheartening. However, rugby is booming in Dublin, they are fielding down to J4/J5. Speaking to the Bruff lads a few weeks ago, they targetted getting lads from GAA clubs and soccer teams.

Comment

Its really tough these days isn't it. Going through lists of players and so many of them playing in NZ, Aus, the US and Canada, it's kinda disheartening. However, rugby is booming in Dublin, they are fielding down to J4/J5. Speaking to the Bruff lads a few weeks ago, they targetted getting lads from GAA clubs and soccer teams.
                  Yeah thats probably it, seems like the logical thing to do and divide the county teams evenly. True, with 14 games in the league, it means that you can afford to lose a few games, and it also gives lads plenty of chances of gametime.

I reckon one of the big success factors in Dublin is the opportunity to play as many games as possible under lights, leaving lads have their weekend free and still are getting a match in whether it be Friday night or a midweek match (depending on teams availability). I for one would much rather play more games under lights. Looking across the 2 groups, and which teams have lights to play matches under (Correct me If I am wrong)

Newcastle West- Lights
                  Thomond- Lights
                  St Marys- Lights
                  Old Crescent- Lights
                  Bruff- Lights (I think)
                  Galbally- Not sure
                  Presentation- Not sure
                  Shannon-Lights

Division B
                  UL Bohemian- Lights
                  Ennis- Lights (I think)
                  Kilfeacle and District - Lights
                  Fethard & District- Not sure
                  Garryowen
                  - Lights
                  Clanwilliam- Not sure
                  Young Munster- Lights
                  Richmond- Will have them in the next month I believe

I'm sure I got some wrong, but it would be great to see more and more weekday matches, or at least a good mixture of midweek/weekend games

Comment

I've no clue as to how they divided up the teams. I presume they took the traveling to county teams into account, but that's just guess work. The home and away format works really well, mainly because your season can be over if you lose two games in the old format, so it keeps lads interested. The format over the last few years has been almost like two seasons. You have the McInerney cup first up and then the league, then there was a break after Christmas to the Webb cup, which didn't start until end of February or early March.

I feel better after that and my morning coffee.
                    Life goes on and the capital continues to accumulate.
                    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Asked this on the Junior league thread, but didn't get a reply. Did Senans drop out of the Gleeson League?

Comment

I think 14 fixtures are a bit much in the league. Friday night rugby is the way forward though.

Comment

Originally posted by Milester View Post
                          I think 14 fixtures are a bit much in the league. Friday night rugby is the way forward though.
                          We'll only really know whether it works or not later on in the league. Hopefully it works, because it can be a great way to get newer players playing rugby.

Comment

Originally posted by stringerbell View Post
                            Yeah thats probably it, seems like the logical thing to do and divide the county teams evenly. True, with 14 games in the league, it means that you can afford to lose a few games, and it also gives lads plenty of chances of gametime.

I reckon one of the big success factors in Dublin is the opportunity to play as many games as possible under lights, leaving lads have their weekend free and still are getting a match in whether it be Friday night or a midweek match (depending on teams availability). I for one would much rather play more games under lights. Looking across the 2 groups, and which teams have lights to play matches under (Correct me If I am wrong)

Newcastle West- Lights
                            Thomond- Lights
                            St Marys- Lights
                            Old Crescent- Lights
                            Bruff- Lights (I think)
                            Galbally- Not sure
                            Presentation- Not sure
                            Shannon-Lights

Division B
                            UL Bohemian- Lights
                            Ennis- Lights (I think)
                            Kilfeacle and District - Lights
                            Fethard & District- Not sure
                            Garryowen
                            - Lights
                            Clanwilliam- Not sure
                            Young Munster- Lights
                            Richmond- Will have them in the next month I believe

I'm sure I got some wrong, but it would be great to see more and more weekday matches, or at least a good mixture of midweek/weekend games

Bruff have lights. Clan have lights at Collegelands but not in main ground. Fethard have lights but cant remember standard of lights and they mightnt be good enough to play games under
                            More games under lights would be good. Difficult for a lot of clubs to play mid week but where possible it should be looked at.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                              Bruff have lights. Clan have lights at Collegelands but not in main ground. Fethard have lights but cant remember standard of lights and they mightnt be good enough to play games under
                              More games under lights would be good. Difficult for a lot of clubs to play mid week but where possible it should be looked at.
                              Yeah, it would be ideal to have more and more games played under lights where it is feasable, ie Local matches where the home team has proper lights for it. Look at the success of those kind of matches in Dublin. I know its not the only reason for the improvements in Dublin, but it is definately a part of it...

It is hard to tell if 14 games is too many, but its definitely a good way of giving guys who havent played before a chance to get gametime

Comment

Working...
                              X