No announcement yet.

All Ireland League 2019-2020 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why the focus on refs each time piquet.....

We lost in barnhall. 22-12. Try at death denied bonus and we were down to 14 for last half hour.

Comment

I don't "focus on refs"as you put it.

The three relevant pieces of data for any match before it starts, are, in my opinion, who's playing and who's reffing.

I give equal prominence to all three.

As it happens, Con won 21(3T) to 17(2T) 4-1. They led 21-3 early in the second half but seemed to run out of puff.

Lansdowne rallied and with ten minutes or so left scored an excellent try.

One of their supporters shouted "c'mon lads, they're knackered" and he wasn't wrong, but they couldn't capitalise on their superior fitness and Con held out.

(Ms Neville had her usual excellent game. I have seen her five or six times in the last two or three years at AIL level and she has always reffed well.

She keeps up with play, makes it clear what she wants and is prepared to explain, sometimes at length, what a player is doing wrong.

At one stage, a Con winger was tackled and held onto the ball. The LFC 9 pointed this out quite loudly and she gave the pen, called the 9 over and had a quiet chat.

I obviously couldn't hear it but I imagine it was along the lines of "I'm the Ref here you're not." )

She is bound for loftier heights, I'd say.

Comment

OL, I notice, going back to a previous discussion, that Galwegians and Corinths are at home on alternative weekends this season!!

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
          I don't "focus on refs"as you put it.

The three relevant pieces of data for any match before it starts, are, in my opinion, who's playing and who's reffing.

I give equal prominence to all three.

As it happens, Con won 21(3T) to 17(2T) 4-1. They led 21-3 early in the second half but seemed to run out of puff.

Lansdowne rallied and with ten minutes or so left scored an excellent try.

One of their supporters shouted "c'mon lads, they're knackered" and he wasn't wrong, but they couldn't capitalise on their superior fitness and Con held out.

(Ms Neville had her usual excellent game. I have seen her five or six times in the last two or three years at AIL level and she has always reffed well.

She keeps up with play, makes it clear what she wants and is prepared to explain, sometimes at length, what a player is doing wrong.

At one stage, a Con winger was tackled and held onto the ball. The LFC 9 pointed this out quite loudly and she gave the pen, called the 9 over and had a quiet chat.

I obviously couldn't hear it but I imagine it was along the lines of "I'm the Ref here you're not." )

She is bound for loftier heights, I'd say.
          its just what you say at times it's just ridiculous especially when you talk about refs in an amateur game and when overwhelming majority of refs are completely amateur as well.

Comment

Examples, please.

Comment

OL, I notice, going back to a previous discussion, that Galwegians and Corinths are at home on alternative weekends this season!!
              and it makes zero difference to attendances. You are vastly overestimating who might attend games.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                and it makes zero difference to attendances. You are vastly overestimating who might attend games.
                You have detailed attendance figures for both venues with which to back up your assertion, I suppose.

If so, I would be very interested if you chose to share them, although three weeks in is a bit early to be making a final judgement.

Comment

You have detailed attendance figures for both venues with which to back up your assertion, I suppose.

If so, I would be very interested if you chose to share them, although three weeks in is a bit early to be making a final judgement.
                  regularly have attended AIL games in both when living in galway and as attendance figures is on my word you can only trust me.
                  club members will attend their own game. If say an underage team from wegians was playing Saturday of a Corinthians ail they might stay but very few would make way out to cloonauncean otherwise and same for Corinthians going to glenina even with the ground being in town.
                  People aren't that interested overall in club rugby. ..

Comment

For the nth time, OL, I am interested in the casual rugby fan not a Club Member, who would go to a match if there were one on to go to, not the die-hard Club member as I said in Post 29, this thread.
                    Last edited by Piquet; 20th-October-2019, 20:24.

Comment

For the nth time, OL, I am interested in the casual rugby fan not a Club Member, who would go to a match if there were one on to go to, not the die-hard Club member as I said in Post 29, this thread.
                      huge amount of people who are club members are far from die hards. They may have membership but go to few games. They are the people to be aiming for to get to go to more games not the tiny number of people who might just might go to 2 or more games and just wont ever leave cork for a 1a game.
                      Compare clubs membership numbers and attendance figures at senior club games they are not close at all.

The ail isnt in a place where it should be looking at the casual rugby fan when it doesnt have anywhere near enough appeal based on clubs own efforts to get their own club members to attend games.

Comment

OL you appear to be obsessing with people who "won't ever leave leave Cork for a 1a game." as you put it.

As I have said on numerous occasions (which you either have forgotten or are pretending to have forgotten), my suggestion is not location specific nor is it Division 1a specific.

It is merely a suggestion to make it easy for people who have an interest in rugby and are living in or visiting a City with two or more AIL teams to have a match to go to every week that AIL games are being played.

It's a suggestion that will cost precisely nothing and, therefore, if it doesn't work, then nowt will have been lost.

If it does work, it will make a few clubs a few bob.

So why not try it AS WELL AS not instead of other initiatives.

Comment

OL you appear to be obsessing with people who "won't ever leave leave Cork for a 1a game." as you put it.

As I have said on numerous occasions (which you either have forgotten or are pretending to have forgotten), my suggestion is not location specific nor is it Division 1a specific.

It is merely a suggestion to make it easy for people who have an interest in rugby and are living in or visiting a City with two or more AIL teams to have a match to go to every week that AIL games are being played.

It's a suggestion that will cost precisely nothing and, therefore, if it doesn't work, then nowt will have been lost.

If it does work, it will make a few clubs a few bob.

So why not try it AS WELL AS not instead of other initiatives.
                          get over yourself when you've been complaining for quite some time about this posting over several seasons about this supposed issue.
                          it isnt an issue as the league can do a lot more than hoping that the 2 1a sides in cork/2 galway clubs play at home on alternate weekends. There isnt enough interest for this to change from current situation numbers attending games are not affected so much by clashes here
                          there will always be a game on in cork, limerick, Dublin, Belfast and not much needs to change here from how fixtures are set. Any changes that can and should happen on the clubs in what they offer people who attend like food, drink, getting minis to play t half time which means parents attend etc.

Comment

They can do what you have suggested as well as what I am suggesting.

It's not an either or situation.

Doing one does not rule out doing the other.

They would appear to be doing it this season in Galway and in Div 1A for the last few seasons in Cork and Limerick.

What, really, is your problem with it?

None of your counter arguments make any sense, to be honest.

For example
                            "It isn't an issue" "people aren't that interested"

"It doesn't have anywhere near enough appeal"

What a defeatist attitude you have.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                              its an example but if you went to many hotels, b&bs they wouldnt be able to tell you if games were on.
                              that happens. Games cant simply be split evenly between all areas that have multiple clubs as you're talking about as you have to look at individual club needs interest in playing certain weekends at home or whatever and league as a whole.

Anyway belvedere have honoured ollie Campbell by renaming their anglesea road ground after him
                              OC Field?
                              Campbell Park?
                              Last edited by ustix; 27th-October-2019, 18:56.
                              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Trinity are the visitors to Templehill today where Boomer and Brian Scott are propping for Con.

Trinity are in their change (black) jerseys which peculiarly have "Ulster Bank League" logos on the arms.
                                Last edited by Piquet; 9th-November-2019, 14:38.

Comment

Working...
                                X