No announcement yet.

All Ireland League 2019-2020 Talk/Gossip/Rumours

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm not talking about attending more than one game on a particular Matchday.

I'm on about having one team at home on a particular Matchday and having their neighbouring team at home on the next Matchday.

A number of people would attend both. Their contribution of a tenner on the gate plus possibly another tenner in the bar multiplied by, say five games per season is €100 per season per person. Say you have ten people who do this. That's a Grand. For no expenditure.

Comment

Originally posted by Piquet View Post
      I'm not talking about attending more than one game on a particular Matchday.

I'm on about having one team at home on a particular Matchday and having their neighbouring team at home on the next Matchday.

A number of people would attend both. Their contribution of a tenner on the gate plus possibly another tenner in the bar multiplied by, say five games per season is €100 per season per person. Say you have ten people who do this. That's a Grand. For no expenditure.
      you are greatly overestimating how many people would. You have pointed this out before yet if it was such an issue then clubs would have said/requested changes and yet nothing changes. That shows the clubs clearly dont see this as an issue
      there is a lot more that should be looked at like variance in kick off times, playing other club games before straight after and better options in terms of food, drink to get more to attend games. For pre match meals doing more like having more reunions of different teams from clubs past or having events like inviting direct neiggvouts of the club grounds to games to get more people to attend. Invite minis and their parents and have committee/regulars chat to then and see how much more they may like to get involved
      this will do far more than trying to move a few to attract a tiny number who may like to attend 2 clubs games

Comment

The evidence is there.

Con and College have had this arrangement for two seasons now.

None of the measures you have suggested would prevent what I am suggesting from being done.

I think we have flogged this topic to death at this stage.

You have strongly held opinions on the matter as do I.

Neither of us will persuade the other at this stage.

(You are wrong, by the way)

Comment

The evidence is there.

Con and College have had this arrangement for two seasons now.

None of the measures you have suggested would prevent what I am suggesting from being done.

I think we have flogged this topic to death at this stage.

You have strongly held opinions on the matter as do I.

Neither of us will persuade the other at this stage.

(You are wrong, by the way)
          I'm not though. If you do this to this in isolation
          you are suggesting it as simply want to watch games without leaving cork but there's far more than just a small number of people who may have an interest in games beyond these 2 clubs. There is knock on effects beyond this. If you say con and college should be in alternate weekends at home do you say the same about clubs in 9ther cities as well. It simply isnt feasible or wanted enough

Comment

As I have said on numerous occasions including on this thread, (have you not been paying attention?) the principle is universal.

I'll say it again, in any city with X teams in it, where X is 2 or greater then on any given Matchday, X/2 of the teams, rounded up or down as necessary to give a whole number, should be at home with the others, obviously being away.

On the next Matchday, those teams that were at home the first time should be away and vice versa.

FOR EXAMPLE: Cork has UCC, Con, Dolphin, Highfield, and the Well. That's five teams.

On one weekend three should be at home and two away the next weekend, two should be at home and three away.

A twelve year-old could come up with a computer programme to facilitate this.

Comment

As I have said on numerous occasions including on this thread, (have you not been paying attention?) the principle is universal.

I'll say it again, in any city with X teams in it, where X is 2 or greater then on any given Matchday, X/2 of the teams, rounded up or down as necessary to give a whole number, should be at home with the others, obviously being away.

On the next Matchday, those teams that were at home the first time should be away and vice versa.

FOR EXAMPLE: Cork has UCC, Con, Dolphin, Highfield, and the Well. That's five teams.

On one weekend three should be at home and two away the next weekend, two should be at home and three away.

A twelve year-old could come up with a computer programme to facilitate this.
              there is no need for that. It wouldnt increase support. There is enough issues for clubs getting more of their own club members attend games than anything else. This is just needless. There is no need for a straight split of home/away games in a city with multiple clubs especially with clubs split across 3,4,5 divisions. You are maki big assumptions that people are interested in attending far more games than they do especially games in divisions their club isnt playing in or anything else.
              you say for example cork but you then have to take into account limerick, Dublin and Belfast as well. It isnt needed
              There will always be some clubs who have to play at home while others are away like bective/wesley because they share a pitch. Having an even split is not needed

Comment

You keep on saying that without any evidence to back it up.

Again, for at least the third time, what you are suggesting can be done in parallel with what I say could be done. My suggestion can be done with negligible cost as opposed to yours, all of which would cost money.

My suggestion would get more non-members into Club grounds. Some of them might even join up.

Comment

You keep on saying that without any evidence to back it up.

Again, for at least the third time, what you are suggesting can be done in parallel with what I say could be done. My suggestion can be done with negligible cost as opposed to yours, all of which would cost money.

My suggestion would get more non-members into Club grounds. Some of them might even join up.
                  and you have all this evidence that your proposal would be better. I saw it in galway for years. Wegians and Corinthians. They played alternate weeks at home it didn't really make any impression on attendances. They remained similar enough to the one week or two they did actually have to play home same weekend.
                  it will be similar elsewhere. Very very few people will attend multiple clubs games just to see a game of ail rugby.
                  Last edited by ormond lad; 23rd-July-2019, 20:49.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post

and you have all this evidence that your proposal would be better.
                    All I'm saying is that it would be worth trying

I saw it in galway for years. Wegians and Corinthians. They played alternate weeks at home it didn't really make any impression on attendances. They remained similar enough to the one week or two they did actually have to play home same weekend.
                    Well if it didn't "really make any impression" and gates were "similar enough" ( neither criterion a valid quantative one) then it would do no harm to try it. It would cost very little.
                    it will be similar elsewhere. Very very few people will attend multiple clubs games just to see a game of ail rugby.
                    ​​​​​​​As I showed above it takes very few people attending a few games to add a Grand to the coffers.

Comment

Piquet there is far more that should change than changing the distribution of games per city per game week.

anyway nenagh confirmed their coaching team for this season
                      Ivan muldoon head coach
                      Keith quigley, Alan long, Josh Rowland assistant/backs coach

Comment

Piquet there is far more that should change than changing the distribution of games per city per game week.
                        Agreed, so make those changes AS WELL AS my proposal.

It's not an either/or situation.

Comment

Agreed, so make those changes AS WELL AS my proposal.

It's not an either/or situation.
                          but you are making far more out of this than you should be. Clubs dont see this as a problem.
                          Like how far do you go to avoid certain teams home games clashing. Beyond con and Ucc home games clashing sonu dont have to bother leave cork I'd you want to watch a 1A game.
                          there simply isnt much interest in this occuring bar a very small percentage of people and any changes should be around what clubs can do to get their own members attending games especially those who dont go to adult club games regularly if at all in a league season and changing number of games per round will be of no concern to them

Comment

You continue to (appear to) misunderstand me. It's not about me or about Cork. Con and College were examples.

​​​​​​ If I, or anyone else for that matter interested in rugby go to Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast etc. for a weekend, wouldn't it be nice to have an AIL match to go to to occupy a few hours on Saturday afternoon?

​​​​​​When asking at the Hotel or B&B it would be better to be told "yes, there's a game on in, XX" rather than "sorry, we have no games this weekend, but you should have been here last weekend, we had two".

Comment

You continue to (appear to) misunderstand me. It's not about me or about Cork. Con and College were examples.

​​​​​​ If I, or anyone else for that matter interested in rugby go to Cork/Limerick/Galway/Belfast etc. for a weekend, wouldn't it be nice to have an AIL match to go to to occupy a few hours on Saturday afternoon?

​​​​​​When asking at the Hotel or B&B it would be better to be told "yes, there's a game on in, XX" rather than "sorry, we have no games this weekend, but you should have been here last weekend, we had two".
                              its an example but if you went to many hotels, b&bs they wouldnt be able to tell you if games were on.
                              that happens. Games cant simply be split evenly between all areas that have multiple clubs as you're talking about as you have to look at individual club needs interest in playing certain weekends at home or whatever and league as a whole.

Anyway belvedere have honoured ollie Campbell by renaming their anglesea road ground after him

Comment

How about a Club (or the Union) sending an e-mail every Friday to local Hotels, B&B, the local Tourist Office, to publicise their games?

Can you give me an example of why a Club might want to play at home on a particular weekend?

Comment

Working...
                                X