Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IRFU sell Newlands Cross site for €27 million and plan to invest in grassroots rugby

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IRFU sell Newlands Cross site for €27 million and plan to invest in grassroots rugby

THE IRFU HAS confirmed the sale of 92-acre site in the Newlands Cross area of Dublin for €27 million.

In a statement, the union said it plans to invest the money into the grassroots levels of rugby in Ireland.

https://www.the42.ie/irfu-land-sale-...34975-Nov2018/

Will be interesting to see what IRFU do with this money.

Looks like a good piece of business. I remember that site being mentioned during the 1990s as a possible replacement location for Lansdowne Road, but events have moved on a lot since that time. It probably hit peak value around 2006/7 but by that stage they committed to re-building LR. Wonder why they never sold it then.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Well, am glad they didn’t sell it a few years after that. Like what’s happened to LR, but a real shame it’s not 10k plus larger

Comment

It’s interesting that the land is zoned for agri. In total it’s something like 140 acres.

Comment

The Aviva Stadium is awful.

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
            The Aviva Stadium is awful.

Relevance m'lud?

Comment

Originally posted by AwayFromHome View Post

Relevance m'lud?
              See post #3 above.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

See post #3 above.
                Maybe we need a best international stadia thread (joking) - I think if you were going to build something in the midst of an expensive, densely housed area- they did a good job.

Comment

Isn't there a plan to build a number of artificial turf pitches around the country in strategic locations?
                  Also, they will probably give cash for the Development of the Sportsgrounds in Galway and other related projects to improve the rugby infrastructure around the country.
                  Its deja vu all over again!!!

Comment

And to pay Joe a wee bit to stay on
                    "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post

Maybe we need a best international stadia thread (joking) - I think if you were going to build something in the midst of an expensive, densely housed area- they did a good job.
                      It's an awful stadium. The reasons why have been discussed here plenty of times.

Comment

How much did IRFU originally pay for Newlands Cross, was it agricultural prices with the seller to get an uplift if PP happened.

How much of the 27m received is profit.

Comment

Working...
                        X