Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Red Knight
    replied
    I think Kanturk will be ok while they were losing it wasn't by much.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by The Red Knight View Post
    So Clonmel and Kanturk both in J1 league next year, could make things very tasty. I was at the Bandon YM cup final very competitive game. Bandon really travelled for it big crowd and right in the mix until the final few minutes.
    Will Kanturk actually challenge though???
    You would have expected a very large crowd from Bandon. First time in final in 25 years. Had never won it...

Leave a comment:

• The Red Knight
    replied
    So Clonmel and Kanturk both in J1 league next year, could make things very tasty. I was at the Bandon YM cup final very competitive game. Bandon really travelled for it big crowd and right in the mix until the final few minutes.

Leave a comment:

• SecondRowGal
    replied
    Clonmel lost in Omagh yesterday 25-13

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Munster junior xv to play Kerry xv in castleisland tomorrow night.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by buster View Post
    Just take the highest placed junior club in Division 1 North and Division 1 South and play off for a place in round robin. Or alternatively don't regionalise the top tier and highest placed junior club automatically goes to round robin.
    Is that really the best option. Wont really be better. 2nds league is really poor with its format/structure and this change wouldnt help it.

Leave a comment:

• buster
    replied
    Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
    Problem is with qualification for round robin then and how would you do it?
    Just take the highest placed junior club in Division 1 North and Division 1 South and play off for a place in round robin. Or alternatively don't regionalise the top tier and highest placed junior club automatically goes to round robin.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by buster View Post
    I think I've said it here before but I'd see merit to lumping everything below senior into a league system and regionalising it. So at the top end you'd have the strongest junior teams with the strongest senior seconds and keep working down with promotion and relegation.
    Problem is with qualification for round robin then and how would you do it?
    No other province does it bar Connacht who dont have enough senior sides for them to compete in some other league on their own. There is 3 divisions of junior rugby in connacht and a j2 league of 12 or so clubs.
    I dont see that being feasible. It happens in Dublin primarily with their metro leagues but theres few j1 clubs in that structure and virtually all clubs with their 1st team in that league pyramid are social clubs and in divisions 6/7 or below and have no intention or the ability to go up the divisions that much or interest in playing qualifying rugby

Leave a comment:

• buster
    replied
    I think I've said it here before but I'd see merit to lumping everything below senior into a league system and regionalising it. So at the top end you'd have the strongest junior teams with the strongest senior seconds and keep working down with promotion and relegation.

Leave a comment:

• ormond lad
    replied
    Originally posted by slatterg View Post
    I think its that because the likes of facebook and twitter have become so ubiquitous, people don't have to check in here to get results and the likes.

Also, a lot of what drives big forum posts is sledging, and there doesn't seem to be much interest in that at this level.

The Junior Cup was some achievement. Fantastic occasion, and a really high-intensity game. I'd say there was close to a thousand from Bandon up at it.
    You have a point but that shouldnt have meant debate completely dried up to the extent it has.
    There certainly was plenty of "sledging" and discussion here in the past and it would be great to see proper discussion on junior game again especially with demise of knockon.ie and there being nowhere doing a round up of games in depth anymore.

Originally posted by EarlyRetirement View Post
    I think the overall Junior rugby product is a bit ****. I know of three teams who had a lot to play for with 4 games to go this season who couldn't have cared less on the outcome. It is a shame because you only have to look at Leinster to see the potential for Junior rugby. Their move to a Saturday has transformed it. It is appealing to play, players prefer the shorter trips involved compared to AIL and they can have a few pints after the game without have to go to work the next morning for most.

I've said it before, but if Junior rugby is moved to a Saturday, it's appeal will go through the roof. The likes of Waterpark, Kanturk, Richmond and Clonakilty having been up Senior would all back a move to Saturday. Bandon have been proactive in moving games to Friday nights, I would imagine they too would be in favour. It's up to the clubs to drive this. The issue as I understand it is referees. The solution is a 3 year plan, driven by the clubs to move to Saturday rugby. This move will require the clubs to produce say a new referee each to allow this happen. It's a no brainer and it surprises me it's not being pushed at a branch level. Probably suits the Senior Clubs to keep Junior rugby on a Sunday as it furthers the appeal of Senior rugby and ensures a player drain to Senior clubs.
    League structure is a big issue in Munster. 14 teams in the top flight is at least 4 and probably 6 teams too many. The 3 divisions in Munster are divisions of 14, 13(could have been 14 at start of season??) and 9(could have been 10 start of season??)
    There should probably be 4 divisions of 8 and 1 of 6 with that number of clubs which could help make things better, more competitive etc. Shake things up.
    Moving to Saturday would be a considerable issue in Munster though clubs should be given option of choosing to play Saturday or Sunday with option of day played left to the home club. Referees is a major issue. You need 3 referees for all AIL games and most weekends the TJs on a Saturday for the AIL will be out on a Sunday in junior leagues.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X