Munster Junior Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John123 View Post
    Ennis back in Div 2. Newport have withdrawn from the league.
    How do you feel about that? Happy to be back or would you have preferred the potential boost of winning Div 3?

Are Newport gone altogether or will drop back to Gleeson League like Scariff and Kilrush have? To me, it makes so much sense for clubs like that.

Comment

Originally posted by skinnyprop View Post
      Anyone any thoughts on the season ahead? Suppose Richmond, Clonmel & Bandon will be untouchable in Div 1?? How do we see the newly promoted sides handling the top league? Pirates should be pretty used to the division but Abbeyfeale have not played at Div 1 level for many many years.
      Kilfeacle should do good this year....

Comment

Originally posted by buster View Post
        How do you feel about that? Happy to be back or would you have preferred the potential boost of winning Div 3?

Are Newport gone altogether or will drop back to Gleeson League like Scariff and Kilrush have? To me, it makes so much sense for clubs like that.
        I THINK Newport are gone altogether, they lost a couple of players to Richmond and it all fell apart after that.

For Ennis it's hard to tell, no guarantee they would have won Div 3 anyway. As an outsider looking in I probably would have preferred them to give Div 3 a go. Much more difficult away season (7 vs 4 away) than what was planned in Div 3, tough trips to Youghal, Crosshaven and both Waterford teams.
        \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
        Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by John123 View Post
          I THINK Newport are gone altogether, they lost a couple of players to Richmond and it all fell apart after that.

For Ennis it's hard to tell, no guarantee they would have won Div 3 anyway. As an outsider looking in I probably would have preferred them to give Div 3 a go. Much more difficult away season (7 vs 4 away) than what was planned in Div 3, tough trips to Youghal, Crosshaven and both Waterford teams.
          Shame to see Newport gone. Would be great to see them fielding up the age groups and getting near to fielding adult teams more regularly again.
          Probably would have been better for Ennis to be in division 3 as could have regrouped as if things don't go well early on it could be long season for them..

1st round of AIL Junior Cup also made...
          Saturday, October 29 -
          Clonmel v De La Salle Palmerston, Monivea v Clogher Valley, Enniscorthy v NUIG, Instonians v Bandon, Gorey v Galbally, Portadown v Ballina, Westport v Ashbourne, Richmond v Ballyclare

Comment

Having just thrown an eye over the leagues this year, I really believe it will be a cracking year in Division 2. Any one of 5 or 6 teams could be contenders, although I do see Waterpark taking some beating in this. Thurles ran last years promoted sides (Abbeyfeale & Pirates) pretty close and Kinsale were not too far behind either. St Marys will be tough and seek an immediate return to the top flight. Waterford City will rock many teams with their physical pack and they look to have a well drilled back line - good coaching team in place down there now. Finally, Presentation are celebrating their centenary year and have recruited well in the off season (Stephen Ryan is in as a player coach and will bring some good experience and size to the pack). They have had a busy preseason and have been competitive against all Div 1 sides they have played. Not sure if they will be strong enough to get promotion but I would love to see them in the mix. Interesting year ahead no doubt.

Comment

I agree Skinnyprop, Div 2 is the pick of the leagues by a distance...
              \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
              Dalai Lama

Comment

Predicted winners for week 1

Div 1: Senans, Bandon, Pirates, Kilfeacle, Muskerry, Richmond & Skibb

Bandon to beat Clonmel is probably the biggest call here. Clonmel have home advantage but I just feel that Bandon are the club on the up while Clonmel may regress a little after a couple of very successful seasons. Also, Pirates to win at Galbally may also be a long shot...

Div 2: Waterpark, Charleville, Presentation, Marys, Thurles, Waterford & Youghal

Comment

Bandon to beat Clonmel is probably the biggest call here. Clonmel have home advantage but I just feel that Bandon are the club on the up while Clonmel may regress a little after a couple of very successful seasons. Also, Pirates to win at Galbally may also be a long shot...

Div 2: Waterpark, Charleville, Presentation, Marys, Thurles, Waterford & Youghal
                  Have Charlaville signed a few or something that your backing them skinny prop?

Comment

I saw Charleville play last year on a couple of occasions and thought they were not far away from being a decent side. They looked young and last year's experience will stand to them. Good solid pack that will cause many teams problems. O' Connor brothers at props are up there with the best in all the Junior leagues. Also they had a busy preseason getting some good games on board. At home, I think they will be pretty hard to beat

Comment

Charleville play above themselves IMHO, sum of the parts and all that... And yes that's a backhanded compliment.
                      Dalai Lama

Comment

I saw Charleville play last year on a couple of occasions and thought they were not far away from being a decent side. They looked young and last year's experience will stand to them. Good solid pack that will cause many teams problems. O' Connor brothers at props are up there with the best in all the Junior leagues. Also they had a busy preseason getting some good games on board. At home, I think they will be pretty hard to beat
                        Saw them play recently, look to have a few new additions from last year

Comment

Clonmel beat bandon 21-14 today

Comment

Looking at division 1 results: No bonus point wins and only 2 sides didn't get a losing bonus and they were 1 and 2 points off getting one

Comment

Yeah very tight results everywhere but a lot of the top teams playing each other.
                              Dalai Lama

Comment

Had a notion to start this again.

Points Scorer Table - MJL1
                                Player Club Total Points
                                Denis McCarthy Skibbereen 16
                                Conor Cooney Clonmel 11
                                Shane Luby Kilfeacle 11
                                Declan Rowe St Senans 10
                                Niall Leahy Clanwilliam 9
                                Brian Bennett Richmond 9
                                Eoin Deasy Clonakilty 8
                                Jack O'Mullane Galbally 8
                                John Marnell Old Christians 8
                                Michael O'Leary Newcastle West 6
                                Try Scorer Table - MJL1
                                Player Club Try
                                Denis McCarthy Skibbereen 1
                                Brian Bennett Richmond 1
                                Penalty Try Abbeyfeale 1
                                Kerry Desmond Bandon 1
                                Enda Phelan Bandon 1
                                Batt Duggan Clonakilty 1
                                Steve Cotter Clonakilty 1
                                Jacko Oostuysen Clonmel 1
                                Penalty Try Clonmel 1
                                Ian O'Donovan Cobh Pirates 1
                                Mark Sweeney Galbally 1
                                Brian McLoughlin Kilfeacle 1
                                Daniel Horgan Muskerry 1
                                Stephen Murray Muskerry 1
                                Dave Hennessy Muskerry 1
                                Sean Murphy Newcastle West 1
                                Dave Heaphy Old Christians 1
                                Darragh Daly Old Christians 1
                                Darren Gallagher Richmond 1
                                Richie Byrne Skibbereen 1
                                Dave Jennings Skibbereen 1
                                Ian Fitzgerald St Senans 1
                                Brian Collins St Senans 1

Im here to spread the word..common sense is not just for animals

Comment

Working...
                                X