No announcement yet.

Munster Junior Leagues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The bottom spot could be a real conundrum, and could go a number of different ways for a number of different reasons.

Points in the bag are king at this stage, and in that respect, the 2 most at risk are Ennis & Mallow with 6 each.
    Assuming Waterford are awarded the points for their fixture V Ennis, Ennis have 5 live fixtures left.
    Assuming they take the maximum from their trip to Dungarvan, that takes them to 11 points with home fixtures V Kinsale, Presentation & Newport and an away trip to Collig. Ennis have put up a good show in their home matches this year, with the exception of Cobh but unfortunately they are meeting Kinsale next week when Kinsale must win. Pres may be out of the promotion race when that fixture is played so more hope of something from that and Newport is the final fixture so it will depend on whether Newport need something from that game. Collig away does not seem the type of fixture that Ennis will get something from.

Mallow play Dungarvan in there last match (assume 5) but Abbeyfeale & Kinsale in the 2 before that (assume 0) so will need to get their points in the other 4 fixtures away to City, Charleville & Island and home to Tralee. City is a tough away fixture as is Island if they bother to show up. It looks like it will hinge on the away match V Charleville & home (where ever that is) V Tralee.

Tralee are on 10 points with 5 matches left.
    Assuming 5 points V Dungarvan, then they have Abbeyfeale away next (assume 0), Mallow away, Kinsale home (assume 0) and Pres home. A win in Dungarvan & one other win should have them safe. It could well depend on whether Pres have something to play for on the last weekend, which I think it is likely they wont which ma save Tralee

Charlevilles points total (12) is deceptive because they have played Dungarvan, unlike the other 3 teams. The up side for Charleville is that they have more games from which to gather points - 7 - than the other teams. Charleville have to play a lot of the better teams - Pres (away), Abbeyfeale (home), Cobh (away), Castleisland (home) & Thurles (away) which looks brutal but may not be if some of them are out of the running for promotion. The 2 more manageable fixtures they have are home to Newport and Mallow. Despite the fixture list, I think they are a durable outfit (they got losing bonus points home to Kinsale & away to Collig) and will sneak the win they need somewhere and pick up enough bonus points elsewhere to survive.

A bit like poker where whoever is the big stack is the favourite, in this case whoever has the least number of points in the bag is the favourite to go down and that is Ennis or Mallow.

Comment

Predictions for Division 2 next weekend:

Castleisland V Presentation - Narrow Presentation win here - Island seem to be struggling and almost give off a sense that they are safe and have given up for the year. Poor season for them and I hope they will prove me wrong on their own patch. A couple of injuries to No 8 & and scrum half, Downey brothers have not done them any favours.

Abbeyfeale V Tralee - Home win with BP here. It has been mentioned in some earlier posts that This Abbeyfeale team are nothing special but I somewhat disagree. They have easily dealt with every side they have faced in the league this year. Also, while they may not have the class of lets say last years Bandon side, they certainly are not lacking in power. Massive scrum, agressive pack and solid backline. They may not be special but they look very solid. Tralee on the other hand have been very poor. I expected them to be a bit stronger coming down from Div 1. They wont be relegated but had better start getting results soon.

Charleville V Newport - Tough tie to call. However, looking at some of Charleville's previous home results coupled with Newport's very poor away form I am going to call Charleville here. This would be a massive step towards survival for the cork team and Newport will also retain Div 2 status this year.

Cobh V Ballincollig - Only 1 winner here and that's Pirates. Question is will they manage to get the BP. My assumption is yes and this could prove vital in what is a title race that will go right down to the wire.

Ennis V Kinsale - Must win game for Kinsale and I believe they will stack more relegation worry on Ennis this weekend. Ennis will have some fight in them though and could prevent Kinsale from getting the all important BP.

Thurles V Dungarvan - BP home win here. I just hope the score line is somewhat respectable. Dungarvan will take confidence from a good showing last weekend at home to Island though

Waterford V Mallow - Home win. Waterford at home and waterford away look to be 2 different animals. I have seen Mallow on a couple of occasions this year and I feel they will not have the power to deal with a big physical Waterford unit.

Open to dissection :)

Comment

Castleisland V Presentation - Normally Island but Pres need is greater and Island have form from last year in terms of failing to turn up even at home when it doesn't really matter - go for Pres but if Island want it they can win it.

Abbeyfeale V Tralee - On paper, home win, probably with BP allright, although this is more a derby match than an away match for Tralee. Also, having historically been kingpins in that part of the world, you would reckon they will plan on laying down a marker to the new kids on the block, never mind that they desperately need the points. The home draw against Waterford wasn't a bad result and they will want to put up a good performance. Can't see them getting anything from the match but might not allow Abbey to get the bonus either

Charleville V Newport - On form, 2 seriously tenacious teams here. Home advantage and Charlevilles greater need may just swing it their way but expect no winning bonus point and almost certainly a loosing one.

Cobh V Ballincollig - A bit similar to the Abbeyfeale V Tralee scenario here. Cobh win, can't see Collig getting anything from it but may have enough to stop the scoring bonus point, but may not quite have as much motivation as Tralee due to their more comfortable league position

Ennis V Kinsale - As you said, must win game for Kinsale and I believe they will win it. Ennis have had some success at home against top teams - got a losing bonus V Thurles - but hard to see them getting that close to Kinsale who will be looking for a big reaction to the loss last week. That plan will also include getting a bonus point and I think they might just get it.

Thurles V Dungarvan - BP home win here and the final score could be quite sad. Wouldn't be surprised if Dungarvan concede the match rather than travel and get hockied.

Waterford V Mallow - Waterford at home are a tough proposition. As you said, hard to see Mallow coping with the physicality they bring.

Comment

Some big games in Div 1 this weekend.....

Richmond V Bandon - both having suffered narrow defeats last week will be keen to keep their league ambitions alive. I think Richmond will have too much power up front for an improving Bandon side. The only thing that would turn me was if the weather is fine...then i would not be shocked if Bandon won by a score. Richmond by 7.

Kilfeacle V Clanwilliam - Kilfeacle will be favourites but local derbys can take on a life of their own. Clanwilliam haven't been able to back up big wins with other wins for a whle and i can't see that changing this weekend. Kilfeacle by 9.

Comment

I could see Bandon winning that if it was in Bandon, but it's not.

I also think Kilfeacle will beat Clan, not by 9 though. I think Clan will now will warming up for a nice run at the Cup.
            \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
            Dalai Lama

Comment

Yes i think you could be spot on about Clan in the cup, and they will have a big say on where the league goes also considering they have kilfeacle and clonmel to play.

Comment

Bandon had a bonus point win over Richmond 28-15

Comment

Originally posted by slatterg View Post
                  Bandon had a bonus point win over Richmond 28-15
                  Some win. Fair play to them.

Comment

Abbeyfeale 46 Tralee 3. Abbey still unbeaten

Comment

Thurles beat Dungarvan 79-10...

Comment

Was at Ennis vs Kinsale game. Very competitive until 60 mins, Kinsale got 4th try and conversion to make it 26-10. Ennis finished strong and showed good attitude.
                        \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
                        Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by John123 View Post
                          Was at Ennis vs Kinsale game. Very competitive until 60 mins, Kinsale got 4th try and conversion to make it 26-10. Ennis finished strong and showed good attitude.
                          To be honest, Ennis are a hell of a lot better than what the table suggests. They've been unlucky with injuries this year. I think they'll stay up.

Comment

Was at the Richmond game today not the team the where a few years back are the wheels coming off the wagon in Richmond 2 big losses in the last 2 weeks?? What do ye think???

Comment

At xmas, D1 looked a 2 horse race where either Richmond or Clonmel would win.
                              2 rounds later with 2 defeats for Richmond and Clonmel held at home by Old Christians, nothing seems a given any more!
                              Clonmel still hold the whip hand but next 3 fixtures V Clanwilliam, Richmond & Kilfeakle could change all that.
                              Interesting times ahead!!

Comment

In D2, Abbeyfeale march on. Their loss away to Clan in the cup suggested that they might be short of the mark for a D1 team (which they probably are at the moment) but subsequent wins by Clan V Richmond and Kilfeakle in the league put that loss in perspective.
                                Kinsale have bounced back with a bonus point away win at Ennis to keep them in the hunt to go up.
                                Thurles did the expected V Dungarvan who deserve great credit for keeping plugging away in a lost cause.
                                Newport edged Charleville away and now have won 4 of their last 6 and are safe.
                                Pres edged Castleisland away to retain their faint hopes of promotion but just aren't picking up enough winning bonus points to keep pace with the others.
                                Waterford V Mallow fell foul of the weather - there must be some curse following Mallow around.
                                Cobh V Collig was another weather victim which won't be helpful from Cobhs point of view,

Comment

Working...
                                X