Munster Junior Leagues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by slatterg View Post
    I was hoping that we would have drawn you in the junior cup. It looks unlikely that we will play you this year
    Should Clonmel and Bandon win their respective cup ties in the Junior cup, they will be meeting in the second round. Will be an interesting game if Bandon are expected to push on in Division 1 next season. Would show where they are at and if they will be competitive that high up the table... Ya kna...

Comment

I would fancy Clonmel to win that but think Bandon will strengthen again when they go up.
      \"There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness\".
      Dalai Lama

Comment

Originally posted by Shoebox View Post
        Should Clonmel and Bandon win their respective cup ties in the Junior cup, they will be meeting in the second round. Will be an interesting game if Bandon are expected to push on in Division 1 next season. Would show where they are at and if they will be competitive that high up the table... Ya kna...
        I think it is likely Clonmel will have other priorities, similar to Kanturk last year.

Can't see them allowing themselves to get sucked into the business end of the Junior Cup.

Comment

Originally posted by Wasp View Post
          I think it is likely Clonmel will have other priorities, similar to Kanturk last year.

Can't see them allowing themselves to get sucked into the business end of the Junior Cup.
          Not sure if I'd agree with that. The Junior cup is a big Competition and i'd think Clonmel will want to give a good go at retaining it. Not many Junior clubs have done it.

Obviously their focus will be on the round robin but i'm sure they'd be more than happy to be in the business end of the JC also.

Comment

seen as its a week off heres my predictions for round 1 of the junior cup

Old Christians Fermoy Christians
            Bruff Garryowen Garryowen
            Carrigaline Dolphin Dolphin
            Castleisland Cashel Cashel
            Clonakilty Dungarvan Clon
            Cobh Pirates Cork Constitution Con
            Ennis Fethard & District Ennis
            Galbally Young Munster Galbally
            Highfield Sundays Well Well
            Kanturk Youghal Turks
            Kilfeacle and District Thurles Thurles
            Killarney Richmond Richmond
            Kinsale Douglas Kinsale
            Mallow Charleville Mallow
            Midleton Ballincollig Midleton
            Newcastle West Nenagh Ormond NCW
            Presentation Tralee Pres
            Shannon Killorglin Shannon
            St Marys Old Crescent Marys
            Thomond Abbeyfeale Thomond
            UCC Bandon Bandon
            UL Bohemian St Senans Senans
            Waterford City Skibbereen Skib
            Waterpark Muskerry waterpark

Comment

Castleisland Cashel Castleisland
              Galbally Young Munster Young Munster
              Highfield Sundays Well Highfield
              Kanturk Youghal Kanturk
              Kilfeacle and District Thurles Thurles
              Kinsale Douglas Kinsale
              Presentation Tralee Tralee
              UCC Bandon UCC
              UL Bohemian St Senans Bohs
              Waterpark Muskerry Muskerry

Comment

• [*=left]
                  Castleisland Cashel Castleisland
                  Galbally Young Munster Young Munster
                  Highfield Sundays Well Highfield
                  Kanturk Youghal Kanturk
                  Kilfeacle and District Thurles Kilfeacle
                  Kinsale Douglas Kinsale
                  Presentation Tralee Pres
                  UCC Bandon Bandon
                  UL Bohemian St Senans Senans
                  Waterpark Muskerry Muskerry

Comment

Originally posted by King Kong View Post
                  Not sure if I'd agree with that. The Junior cup is a big Competition and i'd think Clonmel will want to give a good go at retaining it. Not many Junior clubs have done it.

Obviously their focus will be on the round robin but i'm sure they'd be more than happy to be in the business end of the JC also.
                  Clonmel have to get to the round robin stage first. Its not a formality just yet i think!

Comment

Originally posted by King Kong View Post

If Clonmel are to go Senior, they have 3 league matches, 3 round robin matches and a play-off V 3rd from bottom in 2B - 7 matches.

The Junior Cup is 6 rounds on top of that, so 13 matches in total (assuming they go all the way).
                    No way that they are going to be able to compete on both fronts and do themselves justice.

Can't see them doing anything other than using the Cup/Plate as an aid to managing game time for their players for the more important goal of the League and the push for Senior.

Comment

Originally posted by Shoebox View Post
                      Clonmel have to get to the round robin stage first. Its not a formality just yet i think!
                      I think it's as close to a formality as it could be at this point in the season. 4 Points a head with 3 games to play and all of those teams 2nd, 3rd & 4th from bottom. I'm not saying the won't slip up but if Paddy was taking bets on MJL i'd be lumping on clonmel

Comment

As for games left in the season remember we're still in January and JC wasn't played until May last year. so there is a lot of time left in the season yet even if the league is nearly over. Personally i don't think clonmel will do it (Be great if they could) but i don't think they'll be putting out weakened sides either to rest players. Especially in the Junior cup. Winning is a habit and they won't want to break that habit. Some good game management from leamy and resting some of his players in the early rounds of the cup and if they are well ahead in the remaining league games and clonmel should be more than able to give the back end of the season a good go! Don't think anyone has ever done a League, Cup, Round robin Treble? Cashel did the double but never had to go through the round robin

Comment

I don't think you are being realistic regarding the calender.
                          No more matches will be played in January - i.e. Feb 1 is the next fixture weekend, and the Junior Cup final is scheduled to be played on 26 April, so that is 13 remaining fixture weekends. To do the double, Clonmel would have to play on 12 of those weekends (they have only 5 rounds in the cup as they got a bye in the 1st round).

A professional player wouldn't play that schedule, never mind an amateur.

Also, the big squeeze is at the back end, post league end (15th March).
                          Theoretically, there are only 6 match weekends left in the season (to 26 April), yet there will be the 3 round robin matches, the promotion/relegation play-off plus the final 3 rounds of the Junior Cup - 7 matches to be played.
                          In effect, Clonmel would have a must win 'cup' type match every weekend for 7 weeks (assuming they stretch the season into May).

I just can't see any manager setting out his stall to win all the competitions with that schedule.

The league will be the first priority, which they are quite likely to win (NCW can only win by having a higher points total than Clonmel => need to make up 5 points over the remaining 3 fixtures, where I would wager it is likely that Clonmel will win more points, never mind getting 5 less).
                          Win that, and it is the round robin all the way.
                          You are in with a chance to win the Junior Cup every year, only once in a wonder do you get into a competition with the chance to go Senior.
                          That will be the focus.
                          In fact, still being in the Cup would be an unwelcome distraction.
                          Therefore why I think they will not be unhappy to let the Cup slide.

Comment

Think Clonakilty did the treble when they went senior.

In relation to Clonmel and the league/cup I feel the league will definitely be their priority especially after last year winning junior cup

Comment

Originally posted by ruggers View Post
                              Think Clonakilty did the treble when they went senior.

In relation to Clonmel and the league/cup I feel the league will definitely be their priority especially after last year winning junior cup
                              The only game they lost all year was the County Cup final to Bandon. It was their last game of the season as well after Round Robin and Junior Cup. A David Corkery coached Bandon. You can only imagine how fired up he had them. Clon were a serious outfit that year.

Comment

They lost 2 that season, once to Bandon in the Challenge Cup and to Skib in the county cup, v good team though

Comment

Working...
                                X