Youths Rugby.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Youths Rugby.

As rugby has now grown to phenomenal levels in this country, a far greater proportion of players are coming through the youths system. But are the structures in place to take full advantage of this? It seems that the the whole underage system is set up in a way to take the bulk from the schools and have the odd few from clubs. This despite, i presume, roughly the same numbers in both youths and schools.

The provincial youth sides give pretty much the same oportunities to players as a typical senior cup side does. This isin't just with regard to profile, but also training and preparation. That far too few oportunities for a large base of players.
    One solution to help the situation would be for about 10 regional sides instead of the traditional provincial teams at youth level. Say a cork team, limerick team, rest of munster team, etc. This would provide a far greater amount of players out of the youths system, as playing at such a level of rugby would most likely keep a young lad focused soley on the sport.

Any thoughts?

Don't think that would work Busbi. If there was just a Cork, Limerick and rest of Munster team there would be a lack of quality coaching. The point of it is that its a select group of players that train at a good standard, with decent coaches and train at a higher intensity that what you would be getting in atri regional group. Yet the 3 team idea is basically in place. The North(Limerick& Clare), South (Cork), East(Waterford & Tipp) and West (Kerrry) play their own competition, but it is regarded as a stepping stone to playing for Munster.
    But that's another point. How many of these players are playing just so they can play for Munster? Would as many train as long or as hard without that being the immediate goal? It would be harder to develop the better players in the regions if they keep playing at the same level, the step up in intensity and skill can only improve them as players.
    It is true though that they are getting a fantastic opportunity at the minute. I believe at the 1st Youths training session a month or 2 ago that Axel was there. Also that Ian Sherwin is their full time coach. There cant be a much bigger ask than that sort of coaching team.

Also, would it suit the other provinces either? Connacht is based largely in Galway and in Sligo grammar school. It would also increase the cost for each Provence to supply additional coaches, fitness trainers and physios.
    This is Gareth Edwards!
    A dramatic start !
    What a score!

manofmunster - \"foley must be the cutest hoor to ever take to a rugby pitch\"

Comment

Hearing very good things about Axel,people in the know say he,s destined for the big time,(with a rugby brain like his its not in doubt)

Comment

Originally posted by canine
        Hearing very good things about Axel,people in the know say he,s destined for the big time,(with a rugby brain like his its not in doubt)
        I agree with you on Axel - I hear that the senior players would perfer him to Fisher..!

Comment

Leinster already do that to some degree, with regional teams at u-17 for Metro, North East, Midlands, South Midlands and South East. They compete in a league over the season, with training once a week during the season / pre-season work etc. The best players fro this then graduate to the Leinster u-18 setup the following year.

Ruairi

Comment

Munster also have regional teams with games taking place at the moment between teams representingNorth, East, West and South Munster.These games are played together at central venues and all munster youths coaches and the branch CDO's attend

Comment

From Munsterrugby.ie/domestic/news
              Volunteer Roles Available
              12 April 2010, 2:28 pm
              By Cliona Quaid
              Munster Rugby Volunteer Team Manager and Coaching roles are currently available for Regional Development Squads in North, South, East and West Munster.
              Regional Development Coach
              Please note the minimum criterion for appointment is IRFU Level 1 Accredited, with the appropriate experience of working toward Level 2 Accreditation.

Should you wish to view role description of:

Player Development Forwards Coach please click here
              Player Development Backs Coach
              Player Development Team Manager
              To apply for any of the above positions please email your Curriculum Vitae to clionaquaid@munsterrugby.ie by Friday, 16th April
              Last edited by ormond lad; 11th-October-2011, 09:05.

Comment

Who has been coaching these teams up to now?
                When your right, no one remembers. When your wrong, no one forgets.

Comment

Originally posted by Bokka
                  Who has been coaching these teams up to now?

In east munster until now severalcoaches of u17 & 19 teams in the region have been the coaches,for example pat fitzpatrick from nenagh who is now YDO in nenagh has been involved with the east for the last few years.

This year Noel O Meara with another 3 munster branch CDO's got involved with the 4 regions to help prepare them for the inter regional competition
                  Last edited by ormond lad; 11th-October-2011, 09:06.

Comment

Up to now the regions have been looking after the coaching/management themselves. My guess is that Munster rugby want to have a little more control/structure.
                    Computer games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching pills and listening to repetitive music.

Comment

Originally posted by busbi
                      As rugby has now grown to phenomenal levels in this country, a far greater proportion of players are coming through the youths system. But are the structures in place to take full advantage of this? It seems that the the whole underage system is set up in a way to take the bulk from the schools and have the odd few from clubs. This despite, i presume, roughly the same numbers in both youths and schools.

The provincial youth sides give pretty much the same oportunities to players as a typical senior cup side does. This isin't just with regard to profile, but also training and preparation. That far too few oportunities for a large base of players.
                      One solution to help the situation would be for about 10 regional sides instead of the traditional provincial teams at youth level. Say a cork team, limerick team, rest of munster team, etc. This would provide a far greater amount of players out of the youths system, as playing at such a level of rugby would most likely keep a young lad focused soley on the sport.

Any thoughts?
                      Your first statement is true and from it comes a huge problem, that of insufficient qualified</span> coaches to bring potential forward. Entry level or level 1 coaching courses seem to be of insufficient quality to allow a newcomer to take charge of a decent sized under age squad. If the guy has rugby background as a player maybe he could get away with it, but a newcomer, not a chance. And there are many newcomers getting involved because of their own interest in Munster or whatever and then the fact a son has taken up the game.

I have seen a few under age games this year and almost universally, the skill levels are appalling. That's a shame as some of the kids have potential.
                      Hello friends in Brussels. Baldy here

Comment

Speaking a a coach, and having coached from u6 to now coaching u17, I see loads of wannabe guys involved that never played the game, now coaching which is a worry, now to be fair to these guys they may have the basics but the technical side is beyond most of them.

If I had my way, all new coaches must do the mini level coaching course prior to coaching any team, they could come into the game at entry level u6 or 7 as an assistant coach, if they have come our sport from another sport. Or if they are a former player then the level entry could be u8 or 9.

No coach should be allowed to coach 15 a side rugby unless they have done the foundation or level 1 course.

I would also bring in people who can access each coach by going to a game to access them and point the good and bad to them.

What annoys me is the shouting and abuse some coaches give to the lads on the field, that is plain wrong, I don't neither does the other coach in our team, there is a guy in our club who seems to get enjoyment out of this.

A code of conduct is there but not enforced by any club.

These imo are the fundamentals that need to be addressed straight away.

If a man tried to take his time on earth and prove before he died what one man's life could be worth, I wonder what would happen to this world

Comment

I did both the foundation and mini course and found that they were overly concentrated at the very basics of the game, don't pass forward etc, the benfit of both is negligible at best. Have still to do level 1 course which i would hope would be of far greater benefit. Any player that has played rugby to any half standard at all will learn very little by doing the basic level course.

We were shown how the skill of passing was basically 9 steps, it was incrediblely broken down. Admitidtly it 6 years since i did the courses but both were at the time of little benefit. Maybe they have imrpoved? anyone at a course lately with an opinion of its benfits?
                          In Kidney we'll always trust!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Humpty Dumpty

Speaking a a coach, and
                            having coached from u6 to now coaching u17, I see loads
                            of wannabe guys involved that never played the game,
                            now coaching which is a worry, now to be fair to these guys
                            they may have the basics but the technical side is beyond
                            most of them.

If I had my way, all new coaches must do the mini level
                            coaching course prior to coaching any team, they could
                            come into the game at entry level u6 or 7 as an assistant
                            coach, if they have come our sport from another sport. Or
                            if they are a former player then the level entry could be u8
                            or 9.

No coach should be allowed to coach 15 a side rugby
                            unless they have done the foundation or level 1 course.

I would also bring in people who can access each coach
                            by going to a game to access them and point the good and
                            bad to them.

What annoys me is the shouting and abuse some
                            coaches give to the lads on the field, that is plain wrong, I
                            don't neither does the other coach in our team, there is a
                            guy in our club who seems to get enjoyment out of this.

A code of conduct is there but not enforced by any
                            club.

These imo are the fundamentals that need to be
                            addressed straight away.

I would agree with you about coaches doing the mini
                            course before coaching mini's
                            The problem for a lot of clubs is that they don't have the
                            volunteers to look after the amount of underage players
                            and are delighted that people do take an interest whether
                            they've played or not.

When you're being assessed it's on your coaching ability
                            not on your match day tactics and there's nothing wrong
                            with shouting instructions or positive feedback to players
                            on the field but abusing them is totally out of order.

If a coach hasn't got the respect of the players then they
                            are at nothing.

When your right, no one remembers. When your wrong, no one forgets.

Comment

Originally posted by Clubman
                              Originally posted by busbi
                              As rugby has now grown to phenomenal
                              levels in this country, a far greater proportion of players
                              are coming through the youths system. But are the
                              structures in place to take full advantage of this? It seems
                              that the the whole underage system is set up in a way to
                              take the bulk from the schools and have the odd few from
                              clubs. This despite, i presume, roughly the same numbers
                              in both youths and schools.The provincial youth sides give
                              pretty much the same oportunities to players as a typical
                              senior cup side does. This isin't just with regard to profile,
                              but also training and preparation. That far too few
                              oportunities for a large base of players.One solution to help
                              the situation would be for about 10 regional sides instead of
                              the traditional provincial teams at youth level. Say a cork
                              team, limerick team, rest of munster team, etc. This would
                              provide a far greater amount of players out of the youths
                              system, as playing at such a level of rugby would most
                              likely keep a young lad focused soley on the sport.Any
                              thoughts?
                              Your first statement is true and from it comes a
                              huge problem, that of insufficient &lt;span style="font-
                              weight: bold;"&gt;qualified&lt;/span&gt; coaches to bring potential
                              forward. Entry level or level 1 coaching courses seem to be
                              of insufficient quality to allow a newcomer to take charge of
                              a decent sized under age squad. If the guy has rugby
                              background as a player maybe he could get away with it,
                              but a newcomer, not a chance. And there are many
                              newcomers getting involved because of their own interest
                              in Munster or whatever and then the fact a son has taken
                              up the game.I have seen a* few under age games this year
                              and almost universally, the skill levels are appalling. That's
                              a shame as some of the kids have potential.
                              All right Mister, let me tell you what winning means - you\'re willing to go harder, work longer and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                              X