X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    Originally posted by supiebrian View Post
    Bringing this back to an Irish perspective, how do people feel the Irish players handled themselves, considering, for the most part Garland didn't fancy a number of them.

Here's my 2 cents worth...

SOB's injury is very unfortunate, particularly as he seemed to have recovered his form of 3-4 years ago. During the 1st 2 tests he was very strong and back to his barnstorming best.

Murray is Murray and is now so assured at this level that it is almost expected that he plays well each test he plays. A class act.

Furlong did well, although perhaps he was not as strong as say 6 months ago, when he was on fire - fatigue would seem to be a factor in his slight dip. He is still a bull of a man and surely has a great future ahead of him.

McGrath was solid and unfortunate not to start yesterday. Clearly he is up there in terms of the best looseheads in the world right now.

Sexton showed dog to claw his way back, both in terms of contention for the test team and also in terms of the bangs and whacks he received last nigh. The brain is still working, but the body is letting him down, both in terms of pace and being able to make a break, as well as defensively when a big backrower is coming at him full tilt - he can't seem to avoid being hurt once contact is made!

In terms of POM, he was scapegoated somewhat after the 1st test, however in terms of the standards he sets for himself, he will be disappointed and is probably craving the familiarity and safety of all things Munster so that he can prove people wrong - I expect a very driven POM this year.

CJ was ok, however at this level he comes across as a tad one dimensional and despite his bulk, isn't as effective in the carry as when he burst onto the scene some 18 months ago.

In contrast, the guy who arguably put his hand up more than anyone over the course of the tour was Henderson - he had a belter of a game in the lead up to 2nd test and arguably should have been ahead of CJ in terms of a bench shot. Imagine Hendo coming in for SOB last night instead of CJ.

As for the other Irish players, Best was good around the park as ever, but lineout was a bit creaky (albeit George last night was also poor in this department) - Imagine the career Besty could have had if he had been able to throw like Fla...

Henshaw and Payne had mares and to compound things further, both picked up injuries.

Overall, the supposed "world class" members of team Ireland probably confirmed that view amongst the neutral (in Sexton's case, just about), however POM, who led the team for the 1st test, probably feels like he let himself down. Henderson has put down a marker for Joe and has hopefully now come of age... All others played to their level, with perhaps the exception of Henshaw, who seems to have regressed somewhat this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I think you are slightly harsh on sexton who was very good today especially considering his 12 was having a made offensively and defensively. Also thought furlong was very strong. Kiwis love him

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Red1956
    replied
    Originally posted by Piquet View Post
    I think he decided on Accidental Offside because Owens didn't prevent a NZ player from playing the ball. That and his dropping of the ball and putting his hands up.
    This is actually doing my head in.... so if, as per the rules, the ball hitting Williams on the head and shoulder is deemed to be a bounce forward, then surely a retreating player is entitled to play the ball. I would have thought it would be the same as a kick from the opposing team hitting the ground, bouncing back in the direction it came from, and retreating players all being deemed offside, and not being able to play the ball??

Leave a comment:

• supiebrian
    replied
    Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Bringing this back to an Irish perspective, how do people feel the Irish players handled themselves, considering, for the most part Garland didn't fancy a number of them.

Here's my 2 cents worth...

SOB's injury is very unfortunate, particularly as he seemed to have recovered his form of 3-4 years ago. During the 1st 2 tests he was very strong and back to his barnstorming best.

Murray is Murray and is now so assured at this level that it is almost expected that he plays well each test he plays. A class act.

Furlong did well, although perhaps he was not as strong as say 6 months ago, when he was on fire - fatigue would seem to be a factor in his slight dip. He is still a bull of a man and surely has a great future ahead of him.

McGrath was solid and unfortunate not to start yesterday. Clearly he is up there in terms of the best looseheads in the world right now.

Sexton showed dog to claw his way back, both in terms of contention for the test team and also in terms of the bangs and whacks he received last nigh. The brain is still working, but the body is letting him down, both in terms of pace and being able to make a break, as well as defensively when a big backrower is coming at him full tilt - he can't seem to avoid being hurt once contact is made!

In terms of POM, he was scapegoated somewhat after the 1st test, however in terms of the standards he sets for himself, he will be disappointed and is probably craving the familiarity and safety of all things Munster so that he can prove people wrong - I expect a very driven POM this year.

CJ was ok, however at this level he comes across as a tad one dimensional and despite his bulk, isn't as effective in the carry as when he burst onto the scene some 18 months ago.

In contrast, the guy who arguably put his hand up more than anyone over the course of the tour was Henderson - he had a belter of a game in the lead up to 2nd test and arguably should have been ahead of CJ in terms of a bench shot. Imagine Hendo coming in for SOB last night instead of CJ.

As for the other Irish players, Best was good around the park as ever, but lineout was a bit creaky (albeit George last night was also poor in this department) - Imagine the career Besty could have had if he had been able to throw like Fla...

Henshaw and Payne had mares and to compound things further, both picked up injuries.

Overall, the supposed "world class" members of team Ireland probably confirmed that view amongst the neutral (in Sexton's case, just about), however POM, who led the team for the 1st test, probably feels like he let himself down. Henderson has put down a marker for Joe and has hopefully now come of age... All others played to their level, with perhaps the exception of Henshaw, who seems to have regressed somewhat this year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by supiebrian; 8th-July-2017, 23:14.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Which is why the English clubs are after it. PRL believe that they produce the England players, even though it is the RFU schools and clubs that actually do, so they think they should be rewarded for releasing players to the Lions. When an English club is paid for releasing a Welsh/ Scots player for the Lions international rugby is on the skids.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    At least the Clubs lackey, Mr Ritchie,has now left his spot as the chief of the RFU.

Leave a comment:

• Crescent boy 2
    replied
    Everybody won today.
    Lions concept lives on to 2029 (players, unions, tour operators, sky)
    Series was drawn (coaches both win as they did not lose)

Lions were lucky again today, by catching the ball he intentionally played it and should have been a full penalty. If it had hit him accidently in an offside position there would be some logic for the final decision.

Remember if the Lions dies the SH teams will kill the Autumn internationals as revenge.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Benji View Post
    The Lions will make it for another tour to New Zealand . It's a cash cow for the unions and the players .
    Which is why the English clubs are after it. PRL believe that they produce the England players, even though it is the RFU schools and clubs that actually do, so they think they should be rewarded for releasing players to the Lions. When an English club is paid for releasing a Welsh/ Scots player for the Lions international rugby is on the skids.

Leave a comment:

• Benji
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Believe it or not I hope the Lions tour NZ in 2029; the English clubs have such a pernicious vision for the game, destroying the Lions would be the next step in their plan to marginalise the international game. But I will be amazed if the Lions make it through to 2029. It looks like Ireland has been badly hit by long term injuries, as usual, but thank god the three Munster lads have made it home in one piece.

The Lions will make it for another tour to New Zealand . It's a cash cow for the unions and the players .

Leave a comment:

• busby
    replied
    Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
    Incredibly shocking journalism from the Irish Times. I thought he was being ironic.

Sam Warburton

Warrior, leader etc. A lasting example has been set for young flankers all over the world - when you are clearly concussed, pull yourself up and immediately put your head in harms way. “I’m alright,” he told Romain Poite as the French referee forced him off. Courageously passed the HIA and returned to the fray. 6/10
    Ironic or not, it's just crap writing.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    I think he decided on Accidental Offside because Owens didn't prevent a NZ player from playing the ball. That and his dropping of the ball and putting his hands up.

Leave a comment:

• Red1956
    replied
    Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
    Because he caught a ball that was in play from a position he was ahead of........he was ahead of the position the ball was "played" from....the point in this case being it's contact with Williams shoulder.

Think of the ball hitting Williams like a ball being kicked ahead. It's not a knock on to kick a ball ahead but if it goes to a player who is ahead of the struck ball at the moment it is kicked then he cannot play it.

The difference in the punishment is what advantage does or doesn't come from him playing it.

I think!!!
    Thanks - something new learned today!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X