X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
    One thing that struck me..... particularly as a Munster Fan I guess, was the lack of pick and drive, or pick and jamb as the likes of Eddie O Sullivan calls it, from the Lions.

Against a team who last week sacrificed a loose forward to replace a center, the Lions still went wide more. Surely with a man up in the pack you carry around the fringes more. Yesterday with a loose forward in the bin you carry around the fringes more.

The Lions did it a bit but I just thought that the Lions looked to move the ball out almost as a default.
    that's how we lost the first match because our 3 french boys didn't referee the breakdown like the southerners. new Zealand went In from side, over, through, sealed, bridged and anything they could get away with and they did get away with it. we couldn't change the refs so we tried to avoided pick and drive.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    One thing that struck me..... particularly as a Munster Fan I guess, was the lack of pick and drive, or pick and jamb as the likes of Eddie O Sullivan calls it, from the Lions.

Against a team who last week sacrificed a loose forward to replace a center, the Lions still went wide more. Surely with a man up in the pack you carry around the fringes more. Yesterday with a loose forward in the bin you carry around the fringes more.

The Lions did it a bit but I just thought that the Lions looked to move the ball out almost as a default.

Leave a comment:

• Boo-boo
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
    Fair play to Sexton. He puts his body on the line and tackles his heart out and still plays a good all-round game. He is still a far superior player to the wildly overrated Farrell who can't tackle and has no gas.
    As for Furlong - superb! To lock down the scrum at TH for three tests in a row against the most powerful pack in world rugby is no mean feat, never mind his intelligent general play, good hands , ball carrying etc. He is still only 24 and a relative newcomer. Can you imagine what this lad will be like over the next few years. He already looks as good as any TH in world rugby and will only get better.
    New Zealand knew that we had them in the scrums and all they had to do was feed quick ( direct to back row) and move it combined with an early hit and not get caught by the best scrum croupier in rugby- poite.
    The Lions tour has also knocked a little bit more of the shine off The supposedly unbeatable New Zealand, following on from Ireland beating them too. It can be done and work on matching their abilities. this is one of the reasons that we need the foreign players to come in every now and again so that we can learn from them.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Lomasney View Post
    Gatland now world's best coach, says Lions boss
    Updated / Sunday, 9 Jul 2017 08:44

Lions head coach Warren Gatland

Warren Gatland has been hailed as the world's best head coach by British and Irish Lions tour manager John Spencer.

Wales boss Gatland led the Lions to a hard-fought series draw in his native New Zealand, thanks to Saturday's 15-15 tie in the final Test in Auckland.

The All Blacks have already admitted the 53-year-old is on their list of targets as a potential replacement for head coach Steve Hansen, who will step down after the 2019 World Cup in Japan...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/...ys-lions-boss/
    I saw that headline/ statement and wondered if he was trolling or what he was up to.....

Leave a comment:

• i_like_cake
    replied
    Maybe he is, and I'm just looking at him with an attitude..
    I don't agree with his style, or player list, but clearly he gets results..
    Look at wasps, Wales and now the lions.. Very impressive cv...

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

• Lomasney
    replied
    Gatland now world's best coach, says Lions boss
    Updated / Sunday, 9 Jul 2017 08:44

Warren Gatland has been hailed as the world's best head coach by British and Irish Lions tour manager John Spencer.

Wales boss Gatland led the Lions to a hard-fought series draw in his native New Zealand, thanks to Saturday's 15-15 tie in the final Test in Auckland.

The All Blacks have already admitted the 53-year-old is on their list of targets as a potential replacement for head coach Steve Hansen, who will step down after the 2019 World Cup in Japan...

https://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2017/...ys-lions-boss/

Leave a comment:

• The Last Stand
    replied
    Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
    Watched the game with NZ commentary and they were all raving about Sexton and how important he was taking the Lions to the gainline. Farrell was a passenger.
    That was my assessment too. For the 2nd week running it was the Irish players plus Itoje who were outstanding.
    Last edited by The Last Stand; 9th-July-2017, 07:03.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
    Fair play to Sexton. He puts his body on the line and tackles his heart out and still plays a good all-round game. He is still a far superior player to the wildly overrated Farrell who can't tackle and has no gas.
    As for Furlong - superb! To lock down the scrum at TH for three tests in a row against the most powerful pack in world rugby is no mean feat, never mind his intelligent general play, good hands , ball carrying etc. He is still only 24 and a relative newcomer. Can you imagine what this lad will be like over the next few years. He already looks as good as any TH in world rugby and will only get better.
    Watched the game with NZ commentary and they were all raving about Sexton and how important he was taking the Lions to the gainline. Farrell was a passenger.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
    I understand why some folks are looking at it as a draw being meaningless.....but there is another perspective.

There is a cohort of players who are now undefeated on two tours and as Conor Murray said in Interview after....the players and the Lions have gained Respect through the results.

There has been talk already of a possible November one off re match in Twickenham.......only Gatland has touted the PRL as an obstacle.

They may have only drawn but they have left the Lions as a series in rude health imo.
    On the other hand, the Lions lost in South Africa because Ronan O'Gara had the balls to try and win the game. He's been vilified for it ever since, but he did what any NZ player would do. All this backslapping for drawing the series is baffling - professional sport is about winning, not avoiding losing.

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    The kick passing from New Zealand is like watching Dublin football. We as a nation should be able to learn that skill quickly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We had it with Rog. Can't remember what county he's from, probably not a footballing one :D

Didn't see the test live but it was a hugely engrossing tie even knowing the result. Itoje, O'Brien (when he was on), Sexton, Murray, Watson and Faletau all great. NZ robbed at the end by Poite though.

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    Originally posted by supiebrian View Post
    Fair on Sexton, I do admire the guy and he did play well yesterday. I thought Furlong was very good yesterday also, however overall (and particularly on the evidence of the first test) I still think he was fresher in the NH winter.

Leave a comment:

• Munsterboy
    replied
    Bringing this back to an Irish perspective, how do people feel the Irish players handled themselves, considering, for the most part Garland didn't fancy a number of them.

Here's my 2 cents worth...

SOB's injury is very unfortunate, particularly as he seemed to have recovered his form of 3-4 years ago. During the 1st 2 tests he was very strong and back to his barnstorming best.

Murray is Murray and is now so assured at this level that it is almost expected that he plays well each test he plays. A class act.

Furlong did well, although perhaps he was not as strong as say 6 months ago, when he was on fire - fatigue would seem to be a factor in his slight dip. He is still a bull of a man and surely has a great future ahead of him.

McGrath was solid and unfortunate not to start yesterday. Clearly he is up there in terms of the best looseheads in the world right now.

Sexton showed dog to claw his way back, both in terms of contention for the test team and also in terms of the bangs and whacks he received last nigh. The brain is still working, but the body is letting him down, both in terms of pace and being able to make a break, as well as defensively when a big backrower is coming at him full tilt - he can't seem to avoid being hurt once contact is made!

In terms of POM, he was scapegoated somewhat after the 1st test, however in terms of the standards he sets for himself, he will be disappointed and is probably craving the familiarity and safety of all things Munster so that he can prove people wrong - I expect a very driven POM this year.

CJ was ok, however at this level he comes across as a tad one dimensional and despite his bulk, isn't as effective in the carry as when he burst onto the scene some 18 months ago.

In contrast, the guy who arguably put his hand up more than anyone over the course of the tour was Henderson - he had a belter of a game in the lead up to 2nd test and arguably should have been ahead of CJ in terms of a bench shot. Imagine Hendo coming in for SOB last night instead of CJ.

As for the other Irish players, Best was good around the park as ever, but lineout was a bit creaky (albeit George last night was also poor in this department) - Imagine the career Besty could have had if he had been able to throw like Fla...

Henshaw and Payne had mares and to compound things further, both picked up injuries.

Overall, the supposed "world class" members of team Ireland probably confirmed that view amongst the neutral (in Sexton's case, just about), however POM, who led the team for the 1st test, probably feels like he let himself down. Henderson has put down a marker for Joe and has hopefully now come of age... All others played to their level, with perhaps the exception of Henshaw, who seems to have regressed somewhat this year.

Henderson had a stormer as a lock. He is not a top class back row and wasn't played there during the entire tour.

Henshaw played ok but was a bit unlucky with his opportunities before being injured. Payne too. Neither really got going.

POM may feel he let himself down but he didn't. He put in a big defensive shift in the game where Peyper allowed the ABs to do what they wanted at the breakdown.

CJ burst on the scene at Pro12/ECC level, and went on to have a huge 6Ns, but he can't have that impact against a team like the ABs. However, he was still the man to take on bad, slow ball and get over the gainline. People who expect big 30 yard bursts don't understand the role he played for the Lions. It's guys like him who make it possible for others to find space and soft shoulders. They draw all the fire.

Leave a comment:

• supiebrian
    replied
    Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Upfront_1979 View Post
    I think you are slightly harsh on sexton who was very good today especially considering his 12 was having a made offensively and defensively. Also thought furlong was very strong. Kiwis love him

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Fair on Sexton, I do admire the guy and he did play well yesterday. I thought Furlong was very good yesterday also, however overall (and particularly on the evidence of the first test) I still think he was fresher in the NH winter.

Leave a comment:

• lilleexile
    replied
    Originally posted by Red1956 View Post
    This is actually doing my head in.... so if, as per the rules, the ball hitting Williams on the head and shoulder is deemed to be a bounce forward, then surely a retreating player is entitled to play the ball. I would have thought it would be the same as a kick from the opposing team hitting the ground, bouncing back in the direction it came from, and retreating players all being deemed offside, and not being able to play the ball??
    http://laws.worldrugby.org/?law=11

A player who receives an unintentional throw forward is not offside!
    Last edited by lilleexile; 8th-July-2017, 23:48.

Leave a comment:

• Upfront_1979
    replied
    Bringing this back to an Irish perspective, how do people feel the Irish players handled themselves, considering, for the most part Garland didn't fancy a number of them.

Here's my 2 cents worth...

SOB's injury is very unfortunate, particularly as he seemed to have recovered his form of 3-4 years ago. During the 1st 2 tests he was very strong and back to his barnstorming best.

Murray is Murray and is now so assured at this level that it is almost expected that he plays well each test he plays. A class act.

Furlong did well, although perhaps he was not as strong as say 6 months ago, when he was on fire - fatigue would seem to be a factor in his slight dip. He is still a bull of a man and surely has a great future ahead of him.

McGrath was solid and unfortunate not to start yesterday. Clearly he is up there in terms of the best looseheads in the world right now.

Sexton showed dog to claw his way back, both in terms of contention for the test team and also in terms of the bangs and whacks he received last nigh. The brain is still working, but the body is letting him down, both in terms of pace and being able to make a break, as well as defensively when a big backrower is coming at him full tilt - he can't seem to avoid being hurt once contact is made!

In terms of POM, he was scapegoated somewhat after the 1st test, however in terms of the standards he sets for himself, he will be disappointed and is probably craving the familiarity and safety of all things Munster so that he can prove people wrong - I expect a very driven POM this year.

CJ was ok, however at this level he comes across as a tad one dimensional and despite his bulk, isn't as effective in the carry as when he burst onto the scene some 18 months ago.

In contrast, the guy who arguably put his hand up more than anyone over the course of the tour was Henderson - he had a belter of a game in the lead up to 2nd test and arguably should have been ahead of CJ in terms of a bench shot. Imagine Hendo coming in for SOB last night instead of CJ.

As for the other Irish players, Best was good around the park as ever, but lineout was a bit creaky (albeit George last night was also poor in this department) - Imagine the career Besty could have had if he had been able to throw like Fla...

Henshaw and Payne had mares and to compound things further, both picked up injuries.

Overall, the supposed "world class" members of team Ireland probably confirmed that view amongst the neutral (in Sexton's case, just about), however POM, who led the team for the 1st test, probably feels like he let himself down. Henderson has put down a marker for Joe and has hopefully now come of age... All others played to their level, with perhaps the exception of Henshaw, who seems to have regressed somewhat this year.

I think you are slightly harsh on sexton who was very good today especially considering his 12 was having a made offensively and defensively. Also thought furlong was very strong. Kiwis love him

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X