Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Daily Telegraph's Lions squad:

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Joe Launchbury (England).

BACK ROW: Chris Robshaw (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), James Haskell (England), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), Dan Biggar (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland).
    "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Wtf, they picked 1/2p, Hogg, and Williams but no Keet or Zeebs.

Ffs, daily mail journos really phoning it in now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

I don't think that will be too far off, only 1/2p stands out as an odd selection as he hasn't got any form to speak of. Gethin Jenkins too is also very unlikely to tour

P.s. its the torygraph
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Fairly spot on in terms of front row, second row, halfbacks and centres although I wouldn't have Davies in there.

Don't agree with Robshaw, Haskell or Halfpenny either but English press are going to English.

Liam Williams has to be in there really. He's a scut but much like Hartley, he's too good to leave out.

Edit: Yeah just noticed Gethin in there. England and Ireland have several better options than him at loose head nowadays. It is Garland through so we can expect to see himself, Lee, Warburton, Tipuric, Lydiate, Roberts, Davies, North and Halfpenny in the squad.
          Last edited by diarm; 16-November-2016, 14:15.

Comment

Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Wow just noticed front row and second row.

Four looseheads, two tight heads. Is Kruis the only bona-fide right sided second row?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
            Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Faletau - Id rather anyone ahead of him!!

I don't think Scotland will be so poorly represented by the actual squad.

The Gray's?

Davies and Roberts would have a ways to go to prove their form were it any other coach in charge.

Comment

Ben Youngs has had some fairly average performances for Club so far this season.

If Webb is fit it could be Murray, Webb and Davies. Anyone fancy Laidlaw's chances?

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                  Ben Youngs has had some fairly average performances for Club so far this season.

If Webb is fit it could be Murray, Webb and Davies. Anyone fancy Laidlaw's chances?
                  I think you bring Youngs because of his impact off the bench. He's the best sniper of all the options and can turn a loose game. He drives me mad though and if Murray was injured, I'd start Webb ahead of him.

Davies and Laidlaw aren't in the same class. Laidlaw in particular was awful against Australia I thought.

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                    The Daily Telegraph's Lions squad:

FRONT ROW: Jack McGrath (Ireland), Mako Vunipola (England), Cian Healy (Ireland), Dan Cole (England), Gethin Jenkins (Wales), WP Nel (Scotland), Dylan Hartley (England), Rory Best (Ireland), Jamie George (England).

SECOND ROW: Alun Wyn-Jones (Wales), Maro Itoje (England), Devin Toner (Ireland), George Kruis (England), Joe Launchbury (England).

BACK ROW: Chris Robshaw (England), CJ Stander (Ireland), James Haskell (England), Sam Warburton (Wales), Taulupe Faletau (Wales), Billy Vunipola (England), Jamie Heaslip (Ireland).

HALF BACK: Rhys Webb (Wales), Conor Murray (Ireland), Ben Youngs (England), Dan Biggar (Wales), Jonathan Sexton (Ireland), Owen Farrell (England).

CENTRE: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Jonathan Joseph (England), Jonathan Davies (Wales).

BACK THREE: George North (Wales), Liam Williams (Wales), Anthony Watson (England), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Stuart Hogg (Scotland), Rob Kearney (Ireland).
                    This squad has a really weird make up, twice as many looseheads as tightheads and as many fullbacks as wingers. Backrow has a weird mix too. Jamie Roberts hasn't a hope except that he's a Lions institution. No mention of Grays.

Sh1te in a bucket squad really.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post

MOTM against SA last w/e.
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

They misspelt Brown as Kearney. Weird way to spell Brown
                        I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                          MOTM against SA last w/e.
                          He did and thats why he is mentioned there now.

But sure if that counted by itself most of our Chicago team should start.

I saw him play a few times for the Tigers this season - not loads but a few times and he was not great.

Gatland did bring him last time so he could well make the plane. The test match day squad ahead of Murray and Webb. Ill say no way now and gladly eat my words if I'm wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            They misspelt Brown as Kearney. Weird way to spell Brown
                            It might be an idea to have a separate Lions thread for whining about the Kearneys?

Certainly need one if Robbo gets selected.
                            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Suppose the squad would have to be picked first really.
                              I am the million man.

Comment

I'd drop Kearney and Brown and bring another loosehead. Bit think on the ground there with just the four.

Comment

Working...
                                X