Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    Plenty for Gatland to think about after this weekend, particularly with the performances of Furlong and McGrath in the front row. Lots of games between now and the selection date but this is surely going to help in getting a good number of our lads into the test side.
    Test Side.

Murray a certainty i would say. Jack Mc Grath will be very close to the first 15.

Henshaw has given himself a real chance. Sexton faces a battle for the 10 jersey

Possibilities - Zebo , De Flier and yes Dillane as an impact sub.

Not sure we will have too many more on the 15.

I'd suspect Hartley, Itoje, Kruis, in the pack. Ford has a chance at 10 with Farrell at 12- maybe farrell at 10 also. Watson and Nowell will go close

For Wales only Falateau, Al Wyn Jones Warburton, Biggar and North are credible candidates.

Scotland- Hogg is likely to be at 15 with Johnny Gray a possible bolter. seymour has a chance on the wing.

The 6 Nations will decide much of this. Whoever win its will get the most players
    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
      Test Side.

Murray a certainty i would say. Jack Mc Grath will be very close to the first 15.

Henshaw has given himself a real chance. Sexton faces a battle for the 10 jersey

I'd suspect Hartley, Itoje, Kruis, in the pack. Ford has a chance at 10 with Farrell at 12- maybe farrell at 10 also. Watson and Nowell will go close

For Wales only Falateau, Al Wyn Jones Warburton, Biggar and North are credible candidates.

Scotland- Hogg is likely to be at 15 with Johnny Gray a possible bolter. seymour has a chance on the wing.

The 6 Nations will decide much of this. Whoever win its will get the most players
      Looks like Lions institution Jamie Roberts wont be anywhere near the team at this stage. Only turns 30 tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
        Test Side.

No 1/2d? No Furlong?
        Last edited by ustix; 7th-November-2016, 13:16.
        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

My pick for as Irish players for Lions squad now, would be
          McGrath, Best, Stander, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw.
          Outside chance:
          Toner, Payne, Zebo.

Comment

Originally posted by Bitter As A Lemon View Post
            My pick for as Irish players for Lions squad now, would be
            McGrath, Best, Stander, Heaslip, Murray, Sexton, Henshaw.
            Outside chance:
            Toner, Payne, Zebo.
            It would be some redemption if Best made it but I doubt it. Heaslip I don't see touring, and if he does Gatland would play Faletau and Stander ahead of him in that order.

I'd be broadly on the same page as Outlaw. I'll watch the Lions and I'd prefer them to win rather than lose, but really I'm not all that bothered. But it clearly means something to the players so that's good.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
              It would be some redemption if Best made it but I doubt it. Heaslip I don't see touring, and if he does Gatland would play Faletau and Stander ahead of him in that order.

I'd be broadly on the same page as Outlaw. I'll watch the Lions and I'd prefer them to win rather than lose, but really I'm not all that bothered. But it clearly means something to the players so that's good.
              Billy V will start at 8 I think, Faletau deputising
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                You still haven't explained the "competitive" bit with reference to any actual, you know, facts.

Your rejection of the "less than the sum of their parts" argument that you ridiculed above just suggests you don't have a real grasp on what's involved. Because every player and coach who's been involved in a Lions tour talks about just that.

And anyone, at any level, who's ever had to pull together a tour side or an occasional side knows what they're talking about.

The upshot of all of that is that almost all the series (bar the last tour to NZ) have been highly competitive for some time now. But you keep insisting on ignoring that fact.
                Addressing that directly- hopefully you will reciprocate? Yes they have been competitive.

The Lions was dreamt up when there was a gulf in class between the NH and SH. This year alone 3 events suggest that has narrowed significantly Ireland winning in SA and beating ABs and England beating Aus 3-0,

Firstly, Shirley you can at least admit that it would have been a compete nonsense for the Lions to go to Aus this year when England had just whacked them a year earlier?

Secondly, assuming the practical difficulties could be overcome why can the idea of Euro Lions not be viewed as encompassing the same rugby spirit as the current setup?
                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Goody gumdrops
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                    Addressing that directly- hopefully you will reciprocate? Yes they have been competitive.

The Lions was dreamt up when there was a gulf in class between the NH and SH. This year alone 3 events suggest that has narrowed significantly Ireland winning in SA and beating ABs and England beating Aus 3-0,

Firstly, Shirley you can at least admit that it would have been a compete nonsense for the Lions to go to Aus this year when England had just whacked them a year earlier?

Secondly, assuming the practical difficulties could be overcome why can the idea of Euro Lions not be viewed as encompassing the same rugby spirit as the current setup?
                    In 1888 ?

Seriously, countries didn't tour much up to recently. It would have taken months and only the wealth could afford to tour.

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                      In 1888 ?

Seriously, countries didn't tour much up to recently. It would have taken months and only the wealth could afford to tour.

Fair Point....but what about replying to the 2 questions?

Comment

Don't you already have a thread on the go that addresses your petty grievances with the Lions concept, any chance you could stick to that one?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                          Billy V will start at 8 I think, Faletau deputising
                          Completely forgot about Billy V. Gatland will bring both but say he'll still favour Taulupe.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                            Don't you already have a thread on the go that addresses your petty grievances with the Lions concept, any chance you could stick to that one?
                            oh so precious.. but I'm sure Balla Boy can speak for himself.

Comment

http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/1...-lions-set-up/

Bit of a ridiculous article from RTE but the quote attributed to Warren is amusing.

That there could be "potential" for Joe to join the backroom team etc

Id find it very hard to imagine Joe taking instruction on coaching from Warren.

There is talk there of Farrell going again and Gregor Townsend which would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
                                http://www.rte.ie/sport/rugby/2016/1...-lions-set-up/

Bit of a ridiculous article from RTE but the quote attributed to Warren is amusing.

That there could be "potential" for Joe to join the backroom team etc

Id find it very hard to imagine Joe taking instruction on coaching from Warren.

There is talk there of Farrell going again and Gregor Townsend which would be good.

Joe will be doing a reccie of Japan ahead of the RWC, see how the squad travels, fellas like the ones selected for tomorrow will be going so it's a valuable summer tour for Ireland and Joe.
                                I am the million man.

Comment

Working...
                                X