Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
    The disappointing thing about Teos selection for me is that Henshaw didn't do anything in attack over the course of the tour, if he had he could have started. He was given the first opportunity to impress when he started at 12 opposite SBW in the Blues game. I honestly think gatland is starting Teo to curtail SBW and then hoping to bring on the 2 X 10's when there is a bit more room and control the game better.

Im not sure they see the need to reinvent the wheel, if you cut out the mistakes and take chances when they arise they can do better than last weeks result. They still won't win though, no matter what team they choose.
    Cos that worked so well last week. 😄

Farrell came on and the ABs immediately started getting over the gainline as SBW ran over him. There was a bit more room alright, but for them, not us.

Against other opposition I'd happily see the Sexton/Farrell combination but not here. It's not strong enough defensively.

Comment

You need to score 35-40 points to beat them. I cannot see that occurring whatsoever.
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        Faletau made 20 tackles in the game, they'd have wanted him making 20 carries.

Back 3 had more than half of the entire meterage gained by the lions

POM is being potentially dropped for the sake of being dropped, he did nothing to merit exclusion, nor did Neckburton do anything to merit inclusion. If anything a big ugly lummox/bastard like Lawes or Hendo should be moving to six to add heft to the narrow channels because the Kiwis ignored Farrell's out to in midfield defence by playing right up the fringes of the 10 channel.

Second rows were both ****e, as was the (with hindsight) really terrible bench management. He changes all down one side of the scrum and it goes to shyte. Changes the hooker with a key lineout to go and it goes to the floor.

Theres a lot of rugby to go yet, but there are plenty simple changes or choices that are goosing up this tour. Even Drico having shots at squad management now is a pretty large noise to make.

I still cant believe Launchbury wasnt brought, a game like last weekend is his forte. Mullocking player with a huge engine.

And some here might bawlk, but Heaslips ruck work and selflessness would have outstripped Faletau on this tour too.

Too many one trick ponies on this junket. He seems to have brought 4 or 5 guys of the same style in loads of positions.
        There's alot in that post Cowboy in fairness.

Look the form selection is the same selection with Itoje starting in the 2nd row, and with Henderson and Lawes on the bench.

You could even argue the toss over both Lawes & Itoje to start,with one of AWJ or Kruis benching.

Warburton was totally anonymous when he came on, and others had little or no impact.

That's the pretty obvious form selection imho, will the coach do it,
        lets's see.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

I'm getting more and more frustrated for POM with the building rumours that he not only mightn't be starting but not in the squad at all. Going from team captain to not in the match day squad, just for the sake of "shaking things up" for a player who is not at the races and hasn't been up to pace for a long time now.
          I'll be so disappointed for him. I couldn't give a flying fck about the Lions tour but for Irish players, POM deserves better than this. If he's dropped the alarm won't even be set for this one.
          The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
            I get what your saying but I dont disagree with the selection of Teo because of the alternatives. There is no other option at 12 that can take on SBW. If you start Farrell there it just makes it easy for NZ to have people running off his crash ball offloads all day. They would destroy us up the middle with Farrell tackling SBW.

People are now saying that henderson should be included, while ignoring the gruelling 70 minutes he played yesterday.
            Henderson showed in the first half that he has hit a patch of great form. He was the outstanding forward on the pitch. Yes - he should be included in the test squad, but probably will not after playing 70 mins. Gatland again showed poor judgement and managerial skills by not bringing him off at halftime to conserve his energy for the weekend. Yet another stupid decision by a thickheaded coach. He is not called Cementhead for nothing. Henderson could still get a place on the bench, I'd start with Itoje and Lawes and bring him on in the second half.
            I'd have Rory Best in there too. When it comes to hard-nosed physicality at the breakdown, he's still the best hooker. But again, he will be well knackeder after yesterday, especially since he never plays the full 80 for Ireland or Ulster now.
            Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
              There's alot in that post Cowboy in fairness.

Look the form selection is the same selection with Itoje starting in the 2nd row, and with Henderson and Lawes on the bench.

You could even argue the toss over both Lawes & Itoje to start,with one of AWJ or Kruis benching.

Warburton was totally anonymous when he came on, and others had little or no impact.

That's the pretty obvious form selection imho, will the coach do it,
              lets's see.
              I think it boils down to this for me Daithi

You've to get 21 of your 23 selected bang on, they've to play close to peak performance, and you've to manage your bench like a chess master.

(Gatland has not got the grey matter for those 3 elements)
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffy View Post
                Henderson showed in the first half that he has hit a patch of great form. He was the outstanding forward on the pitch. Yes - he should be included in the test squad, but probably will not after playing 70 mins. Gatland again showed poor judgement and managerial skills by not bringing him off at halftime to conserve his energy for the weekend. Yet another stupid decision by a thickheaded coach. He is not called Cementhead for nothing. Henderson could still get a place on the bench, I'd start with Itoje and Lawes and bring him on in the second half.
                I'd have Rory Best in there too. When it comes to hard-nosed physicality at the breakdown, he's still the best hooker. But again, he will be well knackeder after yesterday, especially since he never plays the full 80 for Ireland or Ulster now.

I think the way that lawes came off after 55 mins means he will be in but Kruis should be nowhere near the team, and probably won't be. There will be minimal changes to the match day 23, at most 3.

Comment

1. Joe Moody (26)
                  2. Codie Taylor (17)
                  3. Owen Franks (92)
                  4. Brodie Retallick (62)
                  5. Samuel Whitelock (86)
                  6. Jerome Kaino (79)
                  7. Sam Cane (42)
                  8. Kieran Read (98) - Captain
                  9. Aaron Smith (60)
                  10. Beauden Barrett (51)
                  11. Rieko Ioane (3)
                  12. Sonny Bill Williams (35)
                  13. Anton Lienert-Brown (11)
                  14. Waisake Naholo (12)
                  15. Israel Dagg (63)

16. Nathan Harris (6)
                  17. Wyatt Crockett (60)
                  18. Charlie Faumuina (48)
                  19. Scott Barrett (6)
                  20. Ardie Savea (14)
                  21. TJ Perenara (31)
                  22. Aaron Cruden (48)
                  23. Ngani Laumape *
                  The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                    1. Joe Moody (26)
                    2. Codie Taylor (17)
                    3. Owen Franks (92)
                    4. Brodie Retallick (62)
                    5. Samuel Whitelock (86)
                    6. Jerome Kaino (79)
                    7. Sam Cane (42)
                    8. Kieran Read (98) - Captain
                    9. Aaron Smith (60)
                    10. Beauden Barrett (51)
                    11. Rieko Ioane (3)
                    12. Sonny Bill Williams (35)
                    13. Anton Lienert-Brown (11)
                    14. Waisake Naholo (12)
                    15. Israel Dagg (63)

16. Nathan Harris (6)
                    17. Wyatt Crockett (60)
                    18. Charlie Faumuina (48)
                    19. Scott Barrett (6)
                    20. Ardie Savea (14)
                    21. TJ Perenara (31)
                    22. Aaron Cruden (48)
                    23. Ngani Laumape *

Bookies have the handicap at 13 points. Be a very good result for the lions to beat that.
                    The likes of Naholo and Lienert-brown will have a point to prove after being left out last week, as will Laumape when he gets to run over a few people

I fancy Lienert Brown to score a try, and might have a flutter on Codie Taylor to grab another one from his wing. Beauden Barrett for MOTM, the move to FB took him out of the game a little last week.

Comment

Is it really true thy POM is out of the 23?

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
                        Those are the rumours.
                        The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Rumour Ireland have 3 or 4 max in 23.
                          POM gone and Seanie maybe dropped to bench.

Comment

Originally posted by MunsterBakery View Post
                            Rumour Ireland have 3 or 4 max in 23.
                            POM gone and Seanie maybe dropped to bench.
                            Sure why not just call them Wales.

Comment

Maybe Gatland just has to drop an Irish Lions test captain every series. There was no BOD or POC this time around so he had to create one before dropping him.

Comment

Sure why not just call them Wales.
                                Because he could never get job done as Wales ��
                                Must add that back 3 for All Blacks is very scary.
                                Hope Webb starts too and Munster lads are rested. The last 2 tours have kind of killed the fun of Lions with Gatland using it as a Welsh kind of booster. In my eyes 97 and 01 were last true Lions tours.

Comment

Working...
                                X