Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
    Be glad otherwise Joe would have him move to Dublin to play with Mr Cash
    Has mr. Cash not gone to Paris in a three year deal?
    Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
      Has mr. Cash not gone to Paris in a three year deal?
      Different situation.

Ryan was most likely requested to sign for a significant lesser salary AND is 33.
      Sexton was in his 20s and WAS offered a cosy central contract.

See what I did OSS? Keep candle lit for St Joe

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
        Different situation.

Ryan was most likely requested to sign for a significant lesser salary AND is 33.
        Sexton was in his 20s and WAS offered a cosy central contract.

See what I did OSS? Keep candle lit for St Joe

Oh so donnacash went to R92 for less money than he was offered to stay. Thanks for clearing that one up.
        Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Dude Sexton left in his 20s DRYAN leaves at 33. Huge difference

Comment

I'm happy I've made my point - I'll not clog up the lions thread anymore.

Comment

In the spirt of unity I think we can all agree that Heaslip was instrumental in seeing both of the cash hungry monsters off to Paris. Go Jamie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by KerryRed View Post
                Honestly think Gatland Welsh bias has damaged the idea of the Lions really long-term. Least for me. Win or lose. Ireland has always got the short end of the straw. But it's like he keeps chipping away. He doesn't get punished for it and then he gets more brazzen next time around. His actions have gone completely unchecked. That's the reality of the situation. People have been more then happy to look the over way. And Ferris was right in saying his actions have devalued the Lions crest. It's a pattern I've began to see with Schmidt over the last few years. But people always find an excuse. People arguing but the Welsh players know his systems better... Meritocracy should always be the policy. Slippery slope after that. I wasn't even surprised when I heard the 6 call ups.
                Look - I actually have a huge degree of sympathy for Gatland. He is trying to win the tests. If the tests turn out not to be competitive, the the commercial viability takes a major knock and at this stage it is ALL about the money; let's not kid ourselves. There is no longer ANY rational rugby reason for a Lions tour. Hasn't been since the pro game bedded in. It is about perpetuating the Lions gravy train, not the Lions ethos.

You cannot bring a scratch side down to NZ and have a realistic chance IMHO. The pro game has moved on. Scratch sides don't cut it anymore. Back in the day when they went by boat and were gone for months, they had time to gel; they were also up against sides which weren't a million miles away from being scratch themselves. Those days are gone. We were lucky in many respects that we caught OZ at their lowest ebb since the game went pro 4 years ago - and it still took Warrenball, a hugely limited brand of rugby to bludgeon out the win. There isn't the time available to them to move it beyond a limited plan executed as violently as possible. Gainst the Saffers - you just have to keep the conveyor belt of fresh meat goign for as along as possible and you stand a chance of doing them, because, God love 'em, they think Warrenball is the only ball in town; always have , likely always will - especially if they cut loose the few visionaries they have in their game, like Rassie.

Against NZ? G'way to feck.

Gatland has merely set his ultra pragmatic Kiwi cap of his to the task in hand, as they do. He has - quite rightly, IMHO - decided that the Lions 'ethos' such as it was, is no more and he is attempting to stack the deck as best he can to play by the 'new rules' which apply. And he is more than likely going to get a hiding for doing so unless he pulls off a miracle.

Just as he copped a hiding from the Irish press last time after dropping BOD. Who was well past needing to be dropped. But this time he'll cop it from all sides, not just here.

I actually admire the man. He may as well stick to his guns, because he's going to take a kicking, so it may as well be on his own terms.
                Last edited by Red October; 18th-June-2017, 13:33.

Comment

Originally posted by Red October View Post
                  Look - I actually have a huge degree of sympathy for Gatland. He is trying to win the tests. If the tests turn out not to be competitive, the the commercial viability takes a major knock and at this stage it is ALL about the money; let's not kid ourselves. There is no longer ANY rational rugby reason for a Lions tour. Hasn't been since the pro game bedded in. It is about perpetuating the Lions gravy train, not the Lions ethos.

You cannot bring a scratch side down to NZ and have a realistic chance IMHO. The pro game has moved on. Scratch sides don't cut it anymore. Back in the day when they went by boat and were gone for months, they had time to gel; they were also up against sides which weren't a million miles away from being scratch themselves. Those days are gone. We were lucky in many respects that we caught OZ at their lowest ebb since the game went pro 4 years ago - and it still took Warrenball, a hugely limited brand of rugby to bludgeon out the win. There isn't the time available to them to move it beyond a limited plan executed as violently as possible. Gainst the Saffers - you just have to keep the conveyor belt of fresh meat goign for as along as possible and you stand a chance of doing them, because, God love 'em, they think Warrenball is the only ball in town; always have , likely always will - especially if they cut loose the few visionaries they have in their game, like Rassie.

Against NZ? G'way to feck.

Gatland has merely set his ultra pragmatic Kiwi cap of his to the task in hand, as they do. He has - quite rightly, IMHO - decided that the Lions 'ethos' such as it was, is no more and he is attempting to stack the deck as best he can to play by the 'new rules' which apply. And he is more than likely going to get a hiding for doing so unless he pulls off a miracle.

Just as he copped a hiding from the Irish press last time after dropping BOD. Who was well past needing to be dropped. But this time he'll cop it from all sides, not just here.

I actually admire the man. He may as well stick to his guns, because he's going to take a kicking, so it may as well be on his own terms.
                  Two things.

Launch Healy Hartley and many others better than the lads he picked. Would you like to go into test 3 with Corey Hill on the bench or Launchbury?

The cynical in me feels the wales coach has wangled a mini camp for future Welsh international players he will need. And put money in their pockets
                  I am the million man.

Comment

I think it's simpler than that. He's covering his ass by calling up guys who know they don't deserve to be there so will do what he says. If he called up a guy like Launchbury he's got a guy who knows he's good enough to play in the tests and Gatland will have to justify why he left him out to begin with. And, knowing Gatland, that would probably end in him telling the press Launchbury is rubbish.

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                      I think it's simpler than that. He's covering his ass by calling up guys who know they don't deserve to be there so will do what he says. If he called up a guy like Launchbury he's got a guy who knows he's good enough to play in the tests and Gatland will have to justify why he left him out to begin with. And, knowing Gatland, that would probably end in him telling the press Launchbury is rubbish.
                      You could well be right. I don't think Gatland has added more weaponry, just more bodies.

He will have a salty tear to cry if this little scheme of his costs him the series due to injuries.

Munster would not fear a front row of Dell Dacey Francis, imagine what a well oiled Kiwi side would be thinking.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

There's only 1 midweek game left on the tour. Worth remembering. Those recent call ups haven't much hope of challenging for a place in the test side.

p.s. Tyrone Howe was a Lion.
                        Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                        Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                          There's only 1 midweek game left on the tour. Worth remembering. Those recent call ups haven't much hope of challenging for a place in the test side.

p.s. Tyrone Howe was a Lion.

Theres 2.

Comment

http://www.independent.ie/…/i-just-think-its-practical-joe-…

For those knocking Gatland's subs, it seems all the national coaches were well aware of the sub's plan, before the tour started, therefore the players also knew. Eddie Jones has decided to break rank and open his large mouth again, would not think, Launchbury, in particular, does not appreciate the added attention.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                              http://www.independent.ie/…/i-just-think-its-practical-joe-…

For those knocking Gatland's subs, it seems all the national coaches were well aware of the sub's plan, before the tour started, therefore the players also knew. Eddie Jones has decided to break rank and open his large mouth again, would not think, Launchbury, in particular, does not appreciate the added attention.

being aware of something doesn't mean you agree with it. It's a bullsh1t decision that is unjustifiable.

Comment

Originally posted by jagawayagain View Post
                                Less surprised about Henshaw than CJ. If he can be left out of the test squad, that's some backgrow the test team has. I mind for him, because as discussed elsewhere it is a career pinnacle, but the fewer Munster players are damaged by this escapade the better.
                                If Gatland starts POM/Falateau/SOB in the first test (quite probable), then it is very likely that tour captain Warburton will be on the bench. Since there is usually only one backrow bencher, this would leave out Stander. Rather unfair on him, given his performances to date. I would have both Stander and Tipuric ahead of the overrated Warburton for the bench.
                                Erse end of nowhere

Comment

Working...
                                X