Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bash View Post
    Thats a colonial hangover lol hahaha boys a bit of pride in fairness now come on!
    I don't think you're going to win this argument in a thread following this particular team.

Comment

Originally posted by Red October View Post
      As with the last Lions tour, I find myself having only 1 concern: that the Irish lads make it back home safe, and physically & mentally sound.

It's a commercial sideshow with as much sporting merit as the upcoming MacGregor-Mayweather nonsense.
      Honestly think Gatland Welsh bias has damaged the idea of the Lions really long-term. Least for me. Win or lose. Ireland has always got the short end of the straw. But it's like he keeps chipping away. He doesn't get punished for it and then he gets more brazzen next time around. His actions have gone completely unchecked. That's the reality of the situation. People have been more then happy to look the over way. And Ferris was right in saying his actions have devalued the Lions crest. It's a pattern I've began to see with Schmidt over the last few years. But people always find an excuse. People arguing but the Welsh players know his systems better... Meritocracy should always be the policy. Slippery slope after that. I wasn't even surprised when I heard the 6 call ups.
      "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

Some stretch to turn that into a jab on Schmidt, so well played.

Comment

For the chiefs LW JN JP RH ED DB RL JM RB (C) DC IH GL JH JT CJS....bench is all the guys from yesterday + AWJ strangely enough but it because they're short I imagine.

Test 23 much clearer now. Same as yesterday except AWJ for Henderson and Joseph for Daly.

Daly is unlucky. I'd have him starting ahead of North.

Just down to starting v bench now..... owens v George.... Itoje v AWJ.... two from POM, SOB and Warburton and two from Sexton Farrell and Teo.

Comment

Originally posted by Munstersrebel View Post
            No but thr nr9 was aiming for the torso. Because the player went down he made contact with the face.
            Do you know what a tackle is? You're not allowed to hit people in the torso with a shoulder either.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougie View Post
              Do you know what a tackle is? You're not allowed to hit people in the torso with a shoulder either.
              Yes you are provided you wrap your arms.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Surprised to see C.J. and Henshaw in that team.

Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                  Surprised to see C.J. and Henshaw in that team.

CJ will play in the tests yet, Gatland can't keep everyone back because there is a good chance the Chiefs will turn them over.

Comment

I have no idea who is in the previously named team..

Lions team to face Chiefs:

L Williams (Wales); J Nowell (England), J Payne (Ireland), R Henshaw (Ireland), E Daly (England); D Biggar (Wales), G Laidlaw (Scotland); J Marler (England), R Best (Ireland), D Cole (England), I Henderson (Ireland), C Lawes (England), J Haskell (England), J Tipuric (Wales), C Stander (Ireland).

Replacements:

K Dacey (Wales), A Dell (Scotland), T Francis (Wales), C Hill (Wales), AW Jones (Wales), G Davies (Wales), F Russell (Scotland), T Seymour (Scotland).

Sent from my ONEPLUS 3 using Tapatalk
                    He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Where are all the losers garland just called up?
                      #notincludingFinnRussell

He was as lame as a duck. Not the metaphorical lame duck either, but a real duck that was actually lame. Maybe from stepping on a land mine or something.

Comment

Originally posted by i_like_cake View Post
                        Where are all the losers garland just called up?
                        #notincludingFinnRussell

Bench

Comment

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                          Some stretch to turn that into a jab on Schmidt, so well played.
                          What's the difference between Schmidt calling up guys who have bearly played for Leinster instead of guys who have been pushing on the fringes of the Irish squad in Japan?Being denied there place and not on basis of merit. Just on a lesser stage. Sorry for derailing the thread last I'll say on that topic here.
                          "The PRO12 is our domestic league, it's what you earn your bread and butter from; it's what pays the bills. We need to broaden our emphasis and get an understanding in Irish rugby that the domestic league from now on is most important and that's what qualifies you now for Europe.'' Garrett Fitzgerald, CEO Munster

Comment

I don't agree with the call ups either & think the geographical excuse is nonsense just as it was with Tom Court 4 years ago. Lions places should be earned not awarded on the basis of convenience.

However none of the call ups are going to play much of a role in the test series barring a disastrous run of injuries. Looking at the possible team for the first test it would appear that the bulk of it will be made up of English players (fair enough as they are double 6 nations champions), with Ireland possibly having more players than Wales depending on how a few tight calls go. So in that regard we can't fault gatland too much, I think anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Munster Mojo View Post
                              I don't agree with the call ups either & think the geographical excuse is nonsense just as it was with Tom Court 4 years ago. Lions places should be earned not awarded on the basis of convenience.

However none of the call ups are going to play much of a role in the test series barring a disastrous run of injuries. Looking at the possible team for the first test it would appear that the bulk of it will be made up of English players (fair enough as they are double 6 nations champions), with Ireland possibly having more players than Wales depending on how a few tight calls go. So in that regard we can't fault gatland too much, I think anyway.

I don't think any of the call ups will make the test squad BUT

When rory best comes off on Tuesday Kristian Dacey will be a capped lion. How does Dylan Hartley, Fraser Brown or
                              Ross Ford feel about that?

Cory Hill in the second row over Launchbury, D Ryan, Jonny Grey? - J Grey is actually the one most hard done by, he could have been in the original selection, and the geographical thing doesnt hold any weight for the scottish players.

If these players are going to have such a meaningless impact on the tour and they have to travel anyway then bring the people who deserve it most, and I don't buy the geographical story that is being peddled, didn't Zebo travel long haul to Australia and had a big impact on the tour.

TBH I'm surprised that the home unions are not making more of a big fuss about this, and I reckon it comes down to money. Wanting to pay less for flights, have the players out there for shorter period of time. Etc etc.
                              Last edited by lawrence; 18th-June-2017, 12:00.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                                CJ will play in the tests yet, Gatland can't keep everyone back because there is a good chance the Chiefs will turn them over.
                                Less surprised about Henshaw than CJ. If he can be left out of the test squad, that's some backgrow the test team has. I mind for him, because as discussed elsewhere it is a career pinnacle, but the fewer Munster players are damaged by this escapade the better.
                                Last edited by jagawayagain; 18th-June-2017, 16:56. Reason: tidying

Comment

Working...
                                X