Lions Tour 2017 Rugby Discussion Thread

This is what they'll take their beatings in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	british-irish-lions-vaposhield-matchday-pro-jersey-p4200-3392_medium.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	2497650
    I am the million man.

If we beat them on our own - will the tour still be on?
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Should be easy, sure Leinster should have beaten them last time.
      Couldnt buy that jersey it's reminds me too much of the old Liverpool jersey.
      When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

I knew it reminded me of something but I couldn't think what.

Comment

I like the jersey. The Lions Tour will be a huge event - the ultimate rugby experience imho.
          Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
          Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Gatland must be thinking how will I fit any Welsh players into the squad now

Comment

It will come down to the 6N, and we still have to follow through on last night in three more tests this Autumn, but there aren't a rake of Welsh players who would be in the 23 tomorrow.

Hell would have to freeze over before he didn't play Warburton and Alun Wyn Jones. And it would have to get pretty chilly before he didn't have North on one wing.

But who else? Cuthbert wouldn't have made the plane to Chicago if he was Irish, let alone a Lions Tour. Biggar will tour, but is behind Sexton for me on form. Jenkins is knocking on and in a competitive spot. Rhys Webb got crocked yesterday. You'd fancy Faletau to come back strongly, but again the back row is immensely competitive.

You'd have to fancy Argentina against them, which would leave them having lost 6 on the bounce. We've not seen England yet, but the likes of Kruis, Itoje, Haskell, Vunipola, Robshaw, Brown, Joseph, Hartley will all be targeting a place on that tour.

By the time you leave room for a token Scot or two, there'll be a lot of people disappointed.
              "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                If we beat them on our own - will the tour still be on?
                Do we still need to go now?

Gatland will not be a happy bunny - not because Wales were thumped - the press is already blaming Howley for that but the trip to play the best team in the world has been completed by the 2nd best team in the world(?) and 2nd best team in the world coach will now be favourite for the next AB coach vacancy.

Anyone who thinks the 'Lions highest honour' malarkey holds water needs to have a look at the scenes after our deserved win. The whole Lions malarkey depends on an inferiority complex with the Southern hemisphere and it being fed by Northern Hemisphere teams losing all or most of the time and therefore justifying 4 teams playing against 1.

I appreciate the players are paid to say otherwise but anyone who thinks the 'Lions highest honour' malarkey holds water needs to have a look at the scenes after our deserved win which Shirely demonstrates that the next Lions tour needs to be Europe versus Southern Hemisphere to have any rugby credibility. What that game demonstrated yesterday is that belief is yer main man and any (Lions) fixtures which undermine that belief - by building up our opponents is not something we should be part of.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                  Do we still need to go now?

Gatland will not be a happy bunny - not because Wales were thumped - the press is already blaming Howley for that but the trip to play the best team in the world has been completed by the 2nd best team in the world(?) and 2nd best team in the world coach will now be favourite for the next AB coach vacancy.

Anyone who thinks the 'Lions highest honour' malarkey holds water needs to have a look at the scenes after our deserved win. The whole Lions malarkey depends on an inferiority complex with the Southern hemisphere and it being fed by Northern Hemisphere teams losing all or most of the time and therefore justifying 4 teams playing against 1.

I appreciate the players are paid to say otherwise but anyone who thinks the 'Lions highest honour' malarkey holds water needs to have a look at the scenes after our deserved win which Shirely demonstrates that the next Lions tour needs to be Europe versus Southern Hemisphere to have any rugby credibility. What that game demonstrated yesterday is that belief is yer main man and any (Lions) fixtures which undermine that belief - by building up our opponents is not something we should be part of.
                  Nonsense. Read POC's book and it's clear that the feeling about a Lions shirt among players is far from lip service.

And the question of rugby credibility is more complex than you make out. The Lions is a particular rugby challenge - to forge a team, and a game plan, from a set of disparate groups and systems.

It's not about 4 vs 1.

And "belief is yer main man" is bollox. Trying to knock over a great sporting institution with cod psychology is a reach. Decision making and flawless execution are "yer main man", which is why it's so hard to forge a winning Lions test team.

We get that you don't like it. You've said so before. But to talk it down with such palpable ****e is unnecessary.

Just don't watch it. No one will care.
                  "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I really looking forward to it, i think there may be a few more irish guys now than previously. furthermore if CJ travels itll be some achievement to go from being snubbed by the boks to the pinnacle of squads in this hemisphere.

I think we might win, I hope he brings Joe and Eddie
                    I am the million man.

Comment

I normally get no pleasure from seeing someone get a cyber hiding, but I'll make an exception for Adolf on this thread.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                      Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                      Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        I really looking forward to it, i think there may be a few more irish guys now than previously. furthermore if CJ travels itll be some achievement to go from being snubbed by the boks to the pinnacle of squads in this hemisphere.

I think we might win, I hope he brings Joe and Eddie
                        With Gatty in charge its hard to see it . He knows only one way of playing the game.
                        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

It's been accurately described already as a re run of WWI, Irish men in Welsh shirts fighting for the crown.
                          Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post
                            I normally get no pleasure from seeing someone get a cyber hiding, but I'll make an exception for Adolf on this thread.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk
                            Must be very disappointing for you so...

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                              Nonsense. Read POC's book and it's clear that the feeling about a Lions shirt among players is far from lip service.

And the question of rugby credibility is more complex than you make out. The Lions is a particular rugby challenge - to forge a team, and a game plan, from a set of disparate groups and systems.

It's not about 4 vs 1.

And "belief is yer main man" is bollox. Trying to knock over a great sporting institution with cod psychology is a reach. Decision making and flawless execution are "yer main man", which is why it's so hard to forge a winning Lions test team.

We get that you don't like it. You've said so before. But to talk it down with such palpable ****e is unnecessary.

Just don't watch it. No one will care.
                              So the Ryder cup has been' knocked down' by evolving into something better????.

Why be so precious about changing something- the Lions have only 1 credible destination- and after last night not that credible why not move with the times-the gulf between Southern and Northern hemisphere is now negligible?.

The spirit of Rugby is better served by being open rather that perpetuating an old boys tradition - which has been great but has had its day.

Bring on European Lions versus SH.

Comment

Working...
                              X