• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Besty has his spake on the inferiority complex that feeds the Lions

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/38131192

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    Yawnfest, you can repeat the same tired old arguments ad nauseum. It is not going to make a jot of difference to those of us who love the Lions
    Jeez I take it from that defensive response it must be SA lols.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Yawnfest, you can repeat the same tired old arguments ad nauseum. It is not going to make a jot of difference to those of us who love the Lions

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Ireland having now beaten all 3 southern hemisphere teams in the one calendar year - and only 1 of those victories at home - have Shirley nailed the nonsense of not reforming the Lions to reflect the new world order.

Any 'competition' which has a built in assumption that one of the competitors is worse than the other relies on that inferiority continuing.

I'm not sure if the Lions are intending to go to South Africa after NZ but Shirley now not even those with their heads mist firmly in the sand can pretend that would be a good idea as things stand. What in the name of holy feck dogs is wrong with the Southern Hemisphere versus Lions (Northern Hemisphere)?

Or do we need a ludicrous and embarrassing tour - perhaps the next one - to prove it?
    Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 27th-November-2016, 11:11.

Leave a comment:

• Piquet
    replied
    I found this list of all the Lions tourists.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/think...is-2001-lions/

'It was sheer panic': Brian O'Driscoll looks back on his 2001 Lions wonder try
    Brian O'Driscoll's 2001 try
    Oh you beauty: Brian O'Driscoll's 2001 try sent the Lions on their way to a famous win CREDIT: MATT BROWNE/SPORTSFILE
    Guy Kelly
    24 OCTOBER 2016 • 8:00AM
    Fifteen years on, Brian O’Driscoll remembers his famous try in the first Lions Test match in Australia, 2001

"The look on my face in this photograph is one of sheer panic. At the time I was a wide-eyed 22-year-old kid, and here I’ve just broken through Australia’s defence – until then fairly watertight – in the first Test of the British and Irish Lions series at the Gabba in Brisbane.

Looking back, this was probably one of the greatest days in my 15 years of playing professional rugby, but I wasn’t thinking that in this moment. You can see that I had nobody alongside supporting me, so I’m completely winging it.

Out of shot and charging towards me was Australia’s last line of defence, the full back Matt Burke. I clearly remember thinking I could be dead in a second if I didn’t somehow dodge the massive collision coming my way.

Fortunately Burke didn’t expect me to sidestep and I managed to get past him. That’s when I felt really out of my depth. Suddenly I had nothing ahead but the try line, 30 metres away, so I just went for it, convinced the covering Australians would catch me. I was tackled over the line but still scored, helping us to a famous win against the Wallabies – then the world champions.

Jason Robinson's blistering try opened the scoring for the Lions

On this day and throughout the series (which we eventually lost 2-1) I was just enjoying the enormity of the whole thing, still not quite believing I’d even been picked. I’d watched the previous Lions series (in South Africa in 1997) on television while finishing my final-year exams at school in Dublin. If someone had told me then that I’d be involved in the next one, I’d have laughed at them.

I felt a world away from the standard of the top players, but it just goes to show how quickly things can happen when you’re young. Within two years I was playing for Ireland and in another two I was here. There’s a magic about a Lions series that puts it above all other competitions in rugby.

Out of shot, charging towards me, was the Australian full back, and I remember thinking that I could be dead in a second if I didn’t dodge the collision coming my way
    As a concept, it shouldn’t come off: sworn enemies from four nations – England, Ireland, Wales and Scotland – come together for seven weeks to become the best of teammates and take on one of the Southern Hemisphere giants. Somehow, though, it really does work, and the weight of that tradition makes it completely unique.

I was fortunate enough to play for the Lions four times, including captaining the next squad to New Zealand in 2005. The pressure there was huge and I had to leave with an injury, so I enjoyed the last two – to South Africa in 2009 and Australia again in 2013 – a lot more.

On those trips I wasn’t a naive kid anymore, nor was I captain, so I was able to just soak it all up. That said, there’s probably no single moment better than this for me. "

Leave a comment:

• Kevin77
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    He is mister average. Great physical specimen, no creativity, does nothing new
    Nailed on starter for Gatland then

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    He is mister average. Great physical specimen, no creativity, does nothing new

Leave a comment:

• Spiffy
    replied
    Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    Robbie Henshaw seems like a Gatland style centre, could be in with a shout if he has a good six nations.
    Yes. But Robbie is a good all round footballer with strength/pace/skills. Schmidt has already gone part way to converting him into a one-dimensional bosher. Gatland will complete the job in an attempt to rebrand him as Jamie Roberts lite. What a waste of natural talent.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    Robbie Henshaw seems like a Gatland style centre, could be in with a shout if he has a good six nations.
    Indeed. Dunno how I forgot him.

Leave a comment:

• Viigand
    replied

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by sykes View Post
    I hope no Irish players get picked. It leaves them ****ed for 18 months after it. Jack McGrath and Stander will go if fit and will be thrashed into the ground.
    Conor Murray and Sexton have a huge chance of being selected also. If Tommy Bowe has a good 6 Nations he may be selected.

Keith Earls? Probably not for the weekend games due to Gatlands style but midweek games?

Leave a comment:

• sykes
    replied
    I hope no Irish players get picked. It leaves them ****ed for 18 months after it. Jack McGrath and Stander will go if fit and will be thrashed into the ground.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    https://www.balls.ie/rugby/six-irish...-season/345634

What a load of balls. Look at who they think might make the tour, some superblue fan over indulged in the Heino before writing this nonsense I reckon

Leave a comment:

• whimpersnap
    replied
    I, like all of my countrymen, will be cheering on Wazza Gatland's Red and White Army next summer.

No, seriously, the Lions has never interested me but it's clearly a big deal for players and one most feel improves them. I'd prefer to see us only have a small number tour but they get good exposure to the test team than have a bunch and most of them are dirt trackers like last time, but I don't really know what'll happen in reality. Too early to predict now.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X