No announcement yet.

Stand up for ourselves - Scrap the Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Ryder Cup changed out of necessity - GB & I weren't competitive.

The Lions works fine as is i.m.o. It's the ultimate rugby honour and experience for the players, and a cracking trip for the many fans.

If it aint broken don't try and fix it.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

The Lions works fine as is i.m.o. It's the ultimate rugby honour and experience for the players, and a cracking trip for the many fans.

Not broken - but sliding towards embarrassing overkill. It is an old boys network in need of an upgrade.
      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by Miguel Sanchez View Post

I don't know why you bother, two test wins in SH and suddenly our teams are better than theirs. If only we had some sort of a World Cup where we could see who had the best teams
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

I am not a fan and for player welfare could see the benefit in less tours.

But it is commercially successful, rugby is professional and I believe it has helped develop Irish rugby through setting high standards.

So overall agnostic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by The Last Stand View Post
            I am not a fan and for player welfare could see the benefit in less tours.

But it is commercially successful, rugby is professional and I believe it has helped develop Irish rugby through setting high standards.

So overall agnostic.
            If there was no Lions tours the players would still be touring and playing for their countries. So there wouldn't be less tours

Comment

I can see my mistake here. I won't respond to another Adolf post on this thread (and maybe others too?).
              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

From my earliest years, I have been cursed with the herpes simplex virus which means that from time to time, I get an outbreak of cold sores around my mouth. They're unsightly, painful and annoying, but happily they always clear up pretty rapidly.

In a similar way, this forum is cursed with a virus (which I now propose be called the Leophobia Whataboutimus virus) which, rather like my herpes, bubbles to the surface at irregular intervals to question the value of the Lions Tours to Irish players.

Like my herpes virus, the Leophobia Whataboutimus virus is an irritating and unsightly eruption, although happily, rather like my cold sores, outbreaks of the Leophobia virus never seem to last for too long.
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

If any of the current (or former) Irish players had to choose between winning a test/series in NZ, SA or Aus with the Lions or with Ireland, I'd imagine the majority of them would choose Ireland.
                  The same goes for the English, Welsh and Scottish.

If you consider the lions to be the 'ultimate rugby honour', a northern hemisphere side (versus southern) would be more logical, as getting selected for it would have even more merit/honour attached to it.

Comment

Here we go again. Why not just copy the posts from last year, change the date, repost and save us all the trouble of going through this pointless debate again.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                      Here we go again. Why not just copy the posts from last year, change the date, repost and save us all the trouble of going through this pointless debate again.
                      Nobody is forcing anyone to debate anything Viigand. I've never posted on this topic before, nor have I read the thread you're talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                        Well Ireland have just won - for the first time in SA - the argument is therefore strengthened - the argument against the Lions(in their current format) gets stronger as the Northern Hemisphere teams get stronger.

The Lions was given birth to when there was no World Cup and we were way down the pecking order. I cant see what is wrong with having a Northern Hemisphere or Euro Lions - without undermining or destroying what went before - times change and why not tweak/adjust accordingly.

Lets give the Georgians, Italians et al a slice of the action?
                        Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 15th-June-2016, 17:32.
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                          Well Ireland have just won - for the first time in SA - the argument is therefore strengthened - the argument against the Lions(in their current format) gets stronger as the Northern Hemisphere teams get stronger.

The Lions was given birth to when there was no World Cup and we were way down the pecking order. I cant see what is wrong with having a Northern Hemisphere or Euro Lions - without undermining or destroying what went before - times change and why not tweak/adjust accordingly.

Lets give the Georgians, Italians et al a slice of the action?
                          So which Georgians or Italians would you include in a team from the NH which apparently is picked on players performance? Only one name springs to mind on Italy's case.......
                          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	cold-sore-picture-mouth-severe-outbreak.png
Views:	1
Size:	171.2 KB
ID:	2487668
                            New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                              So which Georgians or Italians would you include in a team from the NH which apparently is picked on players performance? Only one name springs to mind on Italy's case.......
                              Parisse and Gorgodze would be welcome in many 'established' nations back rows. Campagnaro in the centre is a good player. For a pan euro selection I wager all 3 stand a good chance of making the travelling squad.

It would be absolutely fantastic to see the Lions play in a tournament against say Aus/NZ/The Island Teams, a pan euro team without the home nations and a rest of the world selection.

Comment

Originally posted by upandout View Post
                                Parisse and Gorgodze would be welcome in many 'established' nations back rows. Campagnaro in the centre is a good player. For a pan euro selection I wager all 3 stand a good chance of making the travelling squad.

It would be absolutely fantastic to see the Lions play in a tournament against say Aus/NZ/The Island Teams, a pan euro team without the home nations and a rest of the world selection.
                                Yes but why would you change an event that happens every 4 years and generates huge revenues for the unions involved?
                                Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Working...
                                X