X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blackwarrior
    replied
    Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
    I would have to 'admit' to watching the Test - but can you honestly say that you are magnanimous enough to support the team with 1 Irish player - for example.

That is a stiff test to pass - and one that I'm afraid that I would dismally fail...
    You're too hard on yourself AG. Just enjoy the rugby!

Leave a comment:

• hooke
    replied
    delighted Fatty has been appointed again to this past its sell by date event...just a money spinner for the SH teams so they can scoff at the eejits who spend a fortune following 10 fat welsh men and 5 tokens from England Irl and Scotland to NZ dirt-tracks....

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    Irish players have come back better from tours with the Lions IMO. Paulie, Doc, Rog even Earlsy have all appeared to benefit to my eye from the exposure and levels required.

Moral Indignation is the perfect description for it Sewa, the players get well paid and seem to really enjoy and embrace the adventure, as do the vast majority of the fans who go on tour or watch from up here.

Either way it'll be great telly.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    The idea that we have to have our best sportsman sent abroad twice - once to have his head driven into the ground and once to publically humiliated (by a twit i.e. Wazza) is a justification for taking part in an outdated tournament - well that must be first.
    The sheer moral indignation of it all :) The fact that Gatland made the right decision for the team and it still upsets you so much makes me very happy inside, I actually have a semi right now

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
    At this stage, 9 months out, I never feel too enthused about Lions tours. But, usually, come June I have to admit I find the tests to be compelling viewing, although I can't say I enjoyed any of the 2005 series (apart from getting a full Irish in that great Clonakilty rugby pub for the middle test).
    I would have to 'admit' to watching the Test - but can you honestly say that you are magnanimous enough to support the team with 1 Irish player - for example.

That is a stiff test to pass - and one that I'm afraid that I would dismally fail...

Leave a comment:

• blackwarrior
    replied
    I'm guessing that is Steve James selection? He has strong links(through cricket I think) with Wales and in spite of Mr James - the Telegraph has given up completely reporting on the Pro12 - I dont think it covered last years final...

The Lions is alive and kicking in commercial terms but in rugby terms - with only one location left to go to that makes any competitive sense (ie NZ) it is struggling badly.

The idea that Ireland need players from 3 other teams to beat Aus, SA, or Arg does not hold water - and subject to fitness etc we will have a good crack at the ABs this year.

The sooner this competition is updated to Northern Hemisphere v Southern Hemisphere-Ryder-Cup format the better.

And there has to be grave doubts about the number of Irish fans who will support a team - selected by someone with an alleged grudge against Ireland with only 1 Irish player ( if that what happens) just illustrates that the sell by date has been passed.
    At this stage, 9 months out, I never feel too enthused about Lions tours. But, usually, come June I have to admit I find the tests to be compelling viewing, although I can't say I enjoyed any of the 2005 series (apart from getting a full Irish in that great Clonakilty rugby pub for the middle test).

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    The availability of the NZ sqaud to the super franchises really adds to the calibre of tour coming up.

It's a spectacle and I for one enjoy it, plus it's always chocked full of melodrama and physical, political and personality assassinations. Just ask BoD, twice.
    The idea that we have to have our best sportsman sent abroad twice - once to have his head driven into the ground and once to publically humiliated (by a twit i.e. Wazza) is a justification for taking part in an outdated tournament - well that must be first.

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    I think its almost time for the ignore list to be utilized. We have never beaten New Zealand, never ever. I don't give a monkeys what the majority of other Irish fans support. A lot of them are bellends who have no interest in the rugby, they go for a social outing
    This tour makes sense as NZ are currently the best team in the world. But next time out?

SA or AUS would not make sense.

We could have a scenario where Ireland & England and Wales will be higher ranked than Aus or SA and be heading off to play them - how in the name of all this holy - could that possibly make any Rugby (as oppose to commercial) sense?

Sooner or later the commercial will align itself with the Rugby and the game will be up.

Why not reform now....before it is an embarrassment?

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy
    replied
    The availability of the NZ sqaud to the super franchises really adds to the calibre of tour coming up.

It's a spectacle and I for one enjoy it, plus it's always chocked full of melodrama and physical, political and personality assassinations. Just ask BoD, twice.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    I think its almost time for the ignore list to be utilized. We have never beaten New Zealand, never ever. I don't give a monkeys what the majority of other Irish fans support. A lot of them are bellends who have no interest in the rugby, they go for a social outing

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    The level of bookings at the travel agents would tend to suggest otherwise.
    People like a trip - but are we talking Dublin 4 travel agents? And have you a link?

Can anyone put their hand on their heart and say

a) that they believe that a majority of Irish rugby fans will support a team with 1 Irish player in it?

b) that there is any point in the Lions (4 teams) playing against southern hemisphere opposition(all but NZ) that we can beat on our own.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by Viigand View Post
    All of the evidence is very clearly weighted against him, fact schmacts you can prove anything with facts. Anyhow lets not let him sideline the debate. I reckon Bealham could be a bolter this time

Leave a comment:

• Viigand
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AdolphusGrigson
    replied
    I'm guessing that is Steve James selection? He has strong links(through cricket I think) with Wales and in spite of Mr James - the Telegraph has given up completely reporting on the Pro12 - I dont think it covered last years final...

The Lions is alive and kicking in commercial terms but in rugby terms - with only one location left to go to that makes any competitive sense (ie NZ) it is struggling badly.

The idea that Ireland need players from 3 other teams to beat Aus, SA, or Arg does not hold water - and subject to fitness etc we will have a good crack at the ABs this year.

The sooner this competition is updated to Northern Hemisphere v Southern Hemisphere-Ryder-Cup format the better.

And there has to be grave doubts about the number of Irish fans who will support a team - selected by someone with an alleged grudge against Ireland with only 1 Irish player ( if that what happens) just illustrates that the sell by date has been passed.

Leave a comment:

• Balla Boy
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    The Telegraph goes with the following

15: Stuart Hogg (Scotland) - a brilliant counter-attacker who would light up any back division, but will Welshman Leigh Halfpenny's prolific goalkicking edge it in selection?

14: Anthony Watson (England) - a proven high-quality finisher, who has scored 12 tries in 24 Tests for England.

13: Jonathan Joseph (England) - an outside centre in the classic mode, he offers pace, creativity and try-scoring prowess.

12: Robbie Henshaw (Ireland) - has all the skills, with defensive power to match. Star quality, but could be a toss of the coin between him and Wales' Jamie Roberts.

11: George North (Wales) - had his injury troubles, but a proven top-level performer who is capable of terrorising any defence.

10: Owen Farrell (England) - George Ford, Dan Biggar and Johnny Sexton are all set to be in the fly-half mix, but Farrell is currently a short distance ahead of them.

9: Rhys Webb (Wales) - Ireland's Conor Murray is likely to push hard for a Test spot, yet Webb's all-round game nudges him clear.

1: Mako Vunipola (England) - arguably England's most improved forward of the Eddie Jones coaching reign. Powerful and consistent.

2: Dylan Hartley (England) - has led England superbly since being appointed captain by Eddie Jones. Also the best hooker in Britain and Ireland by a proverbial mile.

3: WP Nel (Scotland) - the South Africa-born tighthead prop is an immense scrummager, and just the set-piece cornerstone Gatland will require, as is England's Dan Cole. Tight call.

4: Alun Wyn Jones (Wales) - skippered the Lions to victory in the third Test decider against Australia three years ago, and should keep the job. World-class in every area.

5: George Kruis (England) - has produced magnificent form in England colours. An exemplary lineout operator with a mighty work-rate.

6: Maro Itoje (England) - might be a lock for England, but blindside flanker for the Lions? Too good to be left out of Gatland's Test team.

7: Sam Warburton (Wales) - a fit and in-form Warburton is head and shoulders above anyone else as the best openside flanker available to Gatland. Class act.

8: Taulupe Faletau (Wales) - the battle for Test selection with England's Billy Vunipola will be fascinating, but Faletau is a more complete footballer.

They've clearly never seen a Gatland back line if they think Joseph is getting the 13 shirt. Pace and creativity??

Moving Itoje to 6 to accommodate Wyn Jones would be a bad call I think. Wyn Jones will tour, but I don't think he'll have the legs for a test slot by then. Especially against the Kiwis. Unless he skippers, in which case he might edge it. They're stretching to assume that Itoje can cut his teeth at back row in NZ. I think POM has a very big shout for that shirt.

They're wrong about Warburton. A fit Warburton isn't head and shoulders above a fit O'Brien. But the question is will either of them be fit? I'm calling TOD as the bolter, striding into the team off the back of a great season and hurdling the broken bodies of the front runners.

Gatland will back Faletau, whatever happens with Vunipola form wise. I think they're wrong about Webb ahead of Murray as well.

I like Hogg, but ignoring Williams there seems odd. I don't think Halfpenny will beat him to the Wales shirt this year.

All in though, despite all the talk of combining teams being unfair, that team (or the one with my changes) has ****ing two chances of winning a series in NZ. It's feasible that they could be whitewashed across the whole tour, given that the ABs are making their Super players available for the tour games.

A lot to play for though.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X