• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
    What's wrong with my face?
    Not a thing, tis all good.
    Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
      But it makes twelve times more money for the SH unions than it does for the NH unions. Maybe that is how they can afford to forego 1. 5 home gates in a RWC year and keep their players so fresh. The next tour of NZ is a complete and utter waste of time, the Lions will lose 3-0 and all the Lions injuries, and there will be tonnes of them, will be completely in vain. For the odd Irish player who comes back from a Lions tour a better, more experienced player, there are half a dozen who are ruined physically. I will be hoping there are as few Irish Lions tourists to NZ as possible, sorry, but it is a complete waste of time.
      Agree . Would also add that it prevents an opportunity for a Pan European competition and the chance to develop Georgia,Romania ,Spain , Portugal,Russia and Germany . If those sides and dare i say it Ireland getting more knock out cup rugby would develop the game in the NH a lot more than the Lions .

Comment

Would happily see us withdrawing from it. I don't feel any association with a team that is identified around the world as "basically british", it brings more harm than good on both a pragmatic and political level.
        I will as ever hope our players aren't selected for it and support the team in opposition.

Comment

Originally posted by outside inside View Post
          Agree. Would also add that it prevents an opportunity for a Pan European competition and the chance to develop Georgia, Romania, Spain, Portugal,Russia and Germany. If those sides and dare i say it Ireland getting more knock out cup rugby would develop the game in the NH a lot more than the Lions.
          The Lions tour doesn't prevent any opportunity for pan European competition at international level. If the Lions tour didn't exist there wouldn't be any pan European competition and don't delude yourself that there might. If there was no lions tour the 4 home nations would simply tour the SH like they do in the other years

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
            The Lions tour doesn't prevent any opportunity for pan European competition at international level. If the Lions tour didn't exist there wouldn't be any pan European competition and don't delude yourself that there might. If there was no lions tour the 4 home nations would simply tour the SH like they do in the other years
            They wouldn't ever play ten games though, the majority against opponents intent on causing as much damage as possible. And they wouldn't beat the living day lights out of each other to get on the squad/ team in the first place. Maybe another tour to the SH would benefit the NH nations, it is not as though the Lions is helping make the British and Irish teams all that competitive anyway.

Comment

I really don't see why the same anti lions arguments are being put forward now by the same protagonists, keep this stuff dry for 12 months and some of the newbies might actually think its new material
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

They wouldn't ever play ten games though, the majority against opponents intent on causing as much damage as possible. And they wouldn't beat the living day lights out of each other to get on the squad/ team in the first place. Maybe another tour to the SH would benefit the NH nations, it is not as though the Lions is helping make the British and Irish teams all that competitive anyway.
                Maybe we should pull out of the away games in the Six Nations while we're at it. Nowadays, air travel is full of dangers and some of those foreigners on the opposing teams are tough, hard bastids. Plus there's the risk of food poisoning from consuming furrin food and drink.

And scrap those pointless, meaningless November "friendly" internationals - players are always getting injured in them. Not to mention scrapping those silly RWC warm-ups - you might as well fly our players straight to the Dignitas Clinic in Zurich.

Plus we need to stop our lads from driving dodgem cars, going on donkey rides or lighting bonfires with petrol - all highly dangerous pastimes.

Maybe we should insist that they stay indoors when it's raining: they could catch their death of cold in a downpour - or be struck by lightning.

When you think about it, the safest policy is probably to stop them playing any games of rugby at all - or, come to think of it, training. Lads are always getting injured at training - just ask TOL. Just think of the savings for the IRFU if they didn't have to pay win bonuses and player insurance!
                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                  The Lions tour spot would be ideal for a European Nations Cup comp . You would have two years of SH tours , ENC and the WC , for the four year cycle . God forbid that in the NH we might start to try and fully develop rugby beyond the 6 nations . Top 16/ 20 teams in Europe would give a massive boost to rugby as well as an opportunity to host the event . I grew up listening to the Lions on the radio , so know all about its history and tradition . However there is also a duty to make the game grow in Europe . It could also help the International game in its fight against private club ownership .

Comment

Seem to remember ROG saying watching Jonny Wilkinson training and the extras he did was a learning experience for ROG. Said it improved him as a player I believe.
                    Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                      Maybe we should pull out of the away games in the Six Nations while we're at it. Nowadays, air travel is full of dangers and some of those foreigners on the opposing teams are tough, hard bastids. Plus there's the risk of food poisoning from consuming furrin food and drink.

And scrap those pointless, meaningless November "friendly" internationals - players are always getting injured in them. Not to mention scrapping those silly RWC warm-ups - you might as well fly our players straight to the Dignitas Clinic in Zurich.

Plus we need to stop our lads from driving dodgem cars, going on donkey rides or lighting bonfires with petrol - all highly dangerous pastimes.

Maybe we should insist that they stay indoors when it's raining: they could catch their death of cold in a downpour - or be struck by lightning.

When you think about it, the safest policy is probably to stop them playing any games of rugby at all - or, come to think of it, training. Lads are always getting injured at training - just ask TOL. Just think of the savings for the IRFU if they didn't have to pay win bonuses and player insurance!
                      Playing less rugby seems to be working for the SH nations.

Comment

To say the players on provincial teams intent is just to cause as much damage as possible is unfair. Yes there has been incidents but the players want it and the alternative is players with 3 tests and another warm up so 3/4 games. Its something different. We have so few real top sides in the international game so why do we really need yet more Ireland/England v NZ/SA....

Originally posted by outside inside View Post
                        The Lions tour spot would be ideal for a European Nations Cup comp. You would have two years of SH tours, ENC and the WC, for the four year cycle. God forbid that in the NH we might start to try and fully develop rugby beyond the 6 nations. Top 16/ 20 teams in Europe would give a massive boost to rugby as well as an opportunity to host the event. I grew up listening to the Lions on the radio, so know all about its history and tradition. However there is also a duty to make the game grow in Europe. It could also help the International game in its fight against private club ownership.
                        June when Lions tours are on wouldn't turn into a pan European international competition if they got rid of the Lions. Yes the 6 nations need to do more but don't kid yourself that by getting rid of the Lions tour the 6 nations would start doing more to help other rugby nations in Europe. The 4 home nations would just have more tours down in SH.

Comment

My memory might be sketchy but the midweek games have been fairly one sided on most recent tours haven't they? Lions putting 50-60-70 points on some sides?
                          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                            I really don't see why the same anti lions arguments are being put forward now by the same protagonists, keep this stuff dry for 12 months and some of the newbies might actually think its new material
                            There is a debate about the relative strengths of the North versus the South. Ireland are beaten by the ABs before they go on the pitch - as Keith Wood admitted was the mindset when Ireland played France in yesteryear. Believing you need to send 4 teams to beat them is a nonsense. If Jonny hadn't hit a shocker of a penalty kick the age old record of never beating them would have been put to bed.

... and even more ridiculous going to play the Aussies - we beat them on our own the year before the last Lions tour - in far more important World cup - its just silly.

A Northern versus Southern hemisphere should be your only man with Georgians and Italians invited to take part for a revamped Lions - and blow apart the old boys/farts network.

Dont forget Munster beat the ABs without the other 3 provinces - we should stop setting our sites so low.
                            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

The Lions concept is commercially huge. I can't see it being halted any time soon for that reason alone.

p.s. This is almost as misguided as your infamous "Virtual fans" thread Adolfus.
                              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Playing less rugby seems to be working for the SH nations.
                                If you apply the principle of reductio ad absurdum to that statement, I'm sure that you'll soon see exactly where I'm coming from.
                                New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Working...
                                X