Stand up for ourselves - Scrap the Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    With the greatest respect McCloud, professional rugby in 2015 bares the scarcest resemblance to anything played by the Lions tourists in 1997, leave alone the 70s. The NH players play more games, even before you factor in the Lions, and they suffer more injuries. Add in all those extra Lions games and the warfare that is trying to get on the squad/ team in the first place, and is it any wonder the two teams that made up the biggest contingent on the last Lions tour, Wales and Ireland, were destroyed by injury at this RWC.
    Are you joking? Most Lions tours have are full of English players with very few Irish making it. We used different entries from the Big Book of Excuses for those RWC's.
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
      Are you joking? Most Lions tours have are full of English players with very few Irish making it. We used different entries from the Big Book of Excuses for those RWC's.
      More Irish than English on the last two Lions tours. And I am not seeking to make excuses for this RWC, I was agin the Lions a long time ago.

Comment

More Irish than English on the last two Lions tours. And I am not seeking to make excuses for this RWC, I was agin the Lions a long time ago.
        Haha, there's an understatement. There are Zebra in the Serengeti that like the lions more than you

Comment

With the greatest respect McCloud, professional rugby in 2015 bares the scarcest resemblance to anything played by the Lions tourists in 1997, leave alone the 70s. The NH players play more games, even before you factor in the Lions, and they suffer more injuries. Add in all those extra Lions games and the warfare that is trying to get on the squad/ team in the first place, and is it any wonder the two teams that made up the biggest contingent on the last Lions tour, Wales and Ireland, were destroyed by injury at this RWC.
          Nope Ireland and Wales were not destroyed by injury they were destroyed by better teams and lack of leadership. Back in the amateur days btw those travelling as a lion played way more games then the pros do these days. Yes I support the lions and I believe the players also enjoy playing for the lions because they are invited onto that squad not forced.
          Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

The Lions came into being when there was no world cup - this 'greatest honour' malarkey which we hear embarrassingly trotted out each time is ridiculous - the greatest honour would be winning the world cup - which England actually have done - and the English still politely trot out the same story.

Ireland need to believe they can match the All Blacks not compete to send our players with 3 other teams to take them on.
            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
              The Lions came into being when there was no world cup - this 'greatest honour' malarkey which we hear embarrassingly trotted out each time is ridiculous - the greatest honour would be winning the world cup - which England actually have done - and the English still politely trot out the same story.

Ireland need to believe they can match the All Blacks not compete to send our players with 3 other teams to take them on.
              But what if a scratch team beats the world champions in their own country over three games?

What other team sport allows such a battle? It mightnt be everyone's cup of Tay, but the concept is still worthy as a spectacle. For the host's its pretty special, not too many SH players get a crack at the lions with such a huge gap between visits
              I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                Nope Ireland and Wales were not destroyed by injury they were destroyed by better teams and lack of leadership. Back in the amateur days btw those travelling as a lion played way more games then the pros do these days. Yes I support the lions and I believe the players also enjoy playing for the lions because they are invited onto that squad not forced.
                And they earn a lot of money. Back in the amateur days the Lions had it's place but those days are long gone (sadly I hasten to add). Much like the use of the TMO I wish the wheel could be uninvented, but professionalism/ RWCs etc are here to stay and they don't fit with a bunch of lads beating the sh'te out of each other to play for a team so the country they are touring can beat the sh'te out of them as well. Out of interest, does anyone think the Lions have the slightest chance of winning a Test in 2017? It is going to be like the Polish cavalry in 1939 charging, with swords raised, on horseback into Panzer divisions. The Lions has had it's day.

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                  TOD has been held back by injury, I think, as has Sherry.

I don't think I'm being unrealistic about the player's ability - just being realistic about what it might take to make a Lion's squad in two years time. There isn't an openside in England worth the name, for instance.

Making a break for the Lions in the next two years basically means being in the Ireland team the season after next and seeing what the other countries have in the deck at that point.

I don't think it's overstating things to say that, with a world cup cycle over and a lot of players fading out over the next couple of seasons, there's a lot of places up for grabs.

Optimistic, yes, in the sense that I'm assuming some of these players stay fit and find another gear in the next two years. But it's not impossible. Flannery was no where in 2005, and Ireland's first choice hooker a year later.
                  There's been injuries of course, but even looking at these guys when fit I think people exaggerate their ability at higher levels. TOD isn't as good as SOB, Sherry isn't as good as Best or Strauss, Foley isn't as good as Henderson or even Donncha Ryan.

There's nothing wrong with having some players that can be great for Munster but not make it internationally. Such players have been key to both Munster and Leinster over the last decade.
                  "There are probably more annoying things than being hectored about African development by a wealthy Irish rock star in a cowboy hat, but I can't think of one at the moment"

Paul Theroux

Comment

So the SH can keep playing fewer games each year, and it is two months worth for the top players, and, unsurprisingly the NH players are much more susceptible to injury. The more games a rugby player plays the more likely they are to get injured. No ifs buts or maybes. Whilst that was not part of my initial post on the subject, when was the last time that any SH team played 7 non test games in the NH?
                    The SH play fewer games anyway. The Super XV sides play 15-18 games max. If there was no Lions tour players would still have 3/4 tests/games in the summer

Comment

Stand up for ourselves - Scrap the Lions

Originally posted by ormond lad View Post
                      The SH play fewer games anyway. The Super XV sides play 15-18 games max. If there was no Lions tour players would still have 3/4 tests/games in the summer
                      Agreed, the NH players already play two months more a year so why on God's earth can it be a good idea to add another 7 Lions games into the mix. And reduce the R and R for the best players in Britain and Ireland on top of the summer break missed for the RWC. Let's not forget how the warm up games are regarded in the host nations, btw. ROG still wears the damage caused to his eye by that langer, McRae, in 2001.

Comment

Mollycoddled Irish players that don't even play the majority of the games in their bread and butter league?
                        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                          Mollycoddled Irish players that don't even play the majority of the games in their bread and butter league?
                          Compare the number of games Heaslip plays a year to the number Read plays. And it isn't the odd year, either. Irish players probably have their game time more closely controlled than any nation that plays for the Lions but Heaslip has played 9 games a year more than Read over his career.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                            There were more Munster than English players picked originally in 2009
                            "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

Originally posted by Waterfordlad View Post
                              There were more Munster than English players picked originally in 2009
                              Which was a complete odd one out and ignores the key word ''most''
                              My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                                But what if a scratch team beats the world champions in their own country over three games?

What other team sport allows such a battle? It mightnt be everyone's cup of Tay, but the concept is still worthy as a spectacle. For the host's its pretty special, not too many SH players get a crack at the lions with such a huge gap between visits
                                It is pretty special for the hosts, alright, they make a kings ransom out of it. They also get a chance to play half a dozen warm up games and cause as much damage to as many of their international competitors as possible.

Comment

Working...
                                X