Stand up for ourselves - Scrap the Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
    And if Joe does manage to get the gig our lads will be even more struggling to get on.

Maitland and Hartley both start in the first XV for their nations. Pom and Murray are only two of those here in Munster like.

Ask yourself this. Who do you think will become an established Irish international from the Munster squad between now and May 2017?

CJ and............?
    Hartley was behind Youngs by then, but point taken. I'd say CJ, but Earls will remain an international and Zebo just needs things to go his way.

The notion that we won't produce a regular test player in the next two years is too depressing to contemplate, to be honest.

Oh, and I'm choosing to believe that we're signing Henshaw in 2016 too :-)
    "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

I'm not saying we won't produce them, and others who have more knowledge of our young players and the academy could put forward names, but barring a Phoenix like rise through the ranks the current squad hasn't too many names that you'd think are on a track to get green jerseys regularly.

Foley CJ TOD Pom Murray Earls Zebo, outside of them?
      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        I'm not saying we won't produce them, and others who have more knowledge of our young players and the academy could put forward names, but barring a Phoenix like rise through the ranks the current squad hasn't too many names that you'd think are on a track to get green jerseys regularly.

Foley CJ TOD Pom Murray Earls Zebo, outside of them?
        If TOL continues in his current form, would he be a contender for another few caps?

He looked good when he came on against the Blues earlier this month, and when he burst on the scene he was pretty impressive.

Too long in the tooth?
        Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by Oldschoolsocks View Post
          If TOL continues in his current form, would he be a contender for another few caps?

He looked good when he came on against the Blues earlier this month, and when he burst on the scene he was pretty impressive.

Too long in the tooth?
          Is that St Boniface?
          Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Stand up for ourselves - Scrap the Lions

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
            I like the Lions, it makes a tonne of money. Not a chance it will be scrapped, nor should it be.
            But it makes twelve times more money for the SH unions than it does for the NH unions. Maybe that is how they can afford to forego 1. 5 home gates in a RWC year and keep their players so fresh. The next tour of NZ is a complete and utter waste of time, the Lions will lose 3-0 and all the Lions injuries, and there will be tonnes of them, will be completely in vain. For the odd Irish player who comes back from a Lions tour a better, more experienced player, there are half a dozen who are ruined physically. I will be hoping there are as few Irish Lions tourists to NZ as possible, sorry, but it is a complete waste of time.
            Last edited by the plastic paddy; 25th-October-2015, 18:01.

Comment

What's wrong with my face?
              Only fools and drunks argue over everything. If you don’t have a hangover the next day you’re not the drunk...

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                But it makes twelve times more money for the SH unions than it does for the NH unions. Maybe that is how they can afford to forego 1. 5 home gates in a RWC year and keep their players so fresh. The next tour of NZ is a complete and utter waste of time, the Lions will lose 3-0 and all the Lions injuries, and their will be tonnes of them, will be completely in vain. For the odd Irish player who comes back from a Lions tour a better, more experienced player, there are half a dozen who are ruined physically. I will be hoping there are as few Irish Lions tourists to NZ as possible, sorry, but it is a complete waste of time.
                So what if it makes more money for them? Its still money for rugby
                My computer thinks I'm gay
                What's the difference anyway
                When all the people do all day
                Is stare into a phone

Comment

Wow so some games played 2 years ago resulted in Ireland's injuries, England's implosion and France who are not even in the Lions total collapse? I must go off and consult my tea leaves.
                  Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

Originally posted by jeepers View Post
                    Thats if Zeebs hangs around to be continually ignored by Schmidt. His contract with Munster is up at the end of this season.
                    When he gets chances like the Italy game he needs to do better as well.
                    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                      When he gets chances like the Italy game he needs to do better as well.
                      Bit difficult if you play heads up rugby and your national coach plays by numbers?

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                        So what if it makes more money for them? Its still money for rugby
                        So the SH can keep playing fewer games each year, and it is two months worth for the top players, and, unsurprisingly the NH players are much more susceptible to injury. The more games a rugby player plays the more likely they are to get injured. No ifs buts or maybes. Whilst that was not part of my initial post on the subject, when was the last time that any SH team played 7 non test games in the NH?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          So the SH can keep playing fewer games each year, and it is two months worth for the top players, and, unsurprisingly the NH players are much more susceptible to injury. The more games a rugby player plays the more likely they are to get injured. No ifs buts or maybes. Whilst that was not part of my initial post on the subject, when was the last time that any SH team played 7 non test games in the NH?
                          Me maybe I'm old school but I do really believe that being match fit reduces the possibility of injury.

Comment

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
                            Wow so some games played 2 years ago resulted in Ireland's injuries, England's implosion and France who are not even in the Lions total collapse? I must go off and consult my tea leaves.
                            Yet more compromised rest and recuperation compared to the SH teams who get a full summer break, every year, without fail. Doubtless Lions fans will say it is coincidence, but it is amazing how many Lions tourists to Aus in 2013 were injured for this RWC.

Comment

Bit difficult if you play heads up rugby and your national coach plays by numbers?
                              Not playing Zebo against Argentina looks like a terrible mistake.

and Fitzgerald has now probably gone above Earls in the pecking order - if we had beaten Argentina Fitzgerald would now be the new BOD. Cant see Earls getting anywhere near a Lions selection - just hope he has a good injury free year and can get into/stay the Irish team.

Obviously not the right thread - but the boy Joe needs to much better than just saying - we got off to a bad start. Has he offered any explanation about the defence??
                              ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                              AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

Me maybe I'm old school but I do really believe that being match fit reduces the possibility of injury.
                                With the greatest respect McCloud, professional rugby in 2015 bares the scarcest resemblance to anything played by the Lions tourists in 1997, leave alone the 70s. The NH players play more games, even before you factor in the Lions, and they suffer more injuries. Add in all those extra Lions games and the warfare that is trying to get on the squad/ team in the first place, and is it any wonder the two teams that made up the biggest contingent on the last Lions tour, Wales and Ireland, were destroyed by injury at this RWC.

Comment

Working...
                                X