Stand up for ourselves - Scrap the Lions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by McCloud View Post
    Yes but why would you change an event that happens every 4 years and generates huge revenues for the unions involved?
    To offer a better event that would interest a larger population and help develop the game globally?

Comment

Originally posted by upandout View Post
      To offer a better event that would interest a larger population and help develop the game globally?
      Would it really interest more and would it make money than the Lions as if it doesn't make more for the British and Irish as well as SH big 3 then nothing will change

Comment

What better event?
        Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

Comment

What better event?
          A mini series comprising 4 teams. The GB&I Lions, NZ, Aus & The Pacific Islands, Europe (sans the home nations) and a rest of the world team.

This would interest the rugby population the world over and would provide a nice fillip between world cups.

I for one would enjoy it anyway.

Comment

I for one think it sounds like a pile of garbage.

Comment

Why dont we have a World Cup every 4 years while we're at it.
              Anybody who sees a psychiatrist would want their head examined. &nb sp;Henry Ford

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                From my earliest years, I have been cursed with the herpes simplex virus which means that from time to time, I get an outbreak of cold sores around my mouth. They're unsightly, painful and annoying, but happily they always clear up pretty rapidly.

In a similar way, this forum is cursed with a virus (which I now propose be called the Leophobia Whataboutimus virus) which, rather like my herpes, bubbles to the surface at irregular intervals to question the value of the Lions Tours to Irish players.

Like my herpes virus, the Leophobia Whataboutimus virus is an irritating and unsightly eruption, although happily, rather like my cold sores, outbreaks of the Leophobia virus never seem to last for too long.
                Unconfirmed reports David Nucifora has suffered an outbreak of the related Leophobia Notuptoitimus virus.

Comment

Stand up for ourselves - Scrap the Lions

Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                  Unconfirmed reports David Nucifora has suffered an outbreak of the related Leophobia Notuptoitimus virus.
                  He is obviously influenced by this forum. Bringing in Henry as a consultant was suggested here last year to assist Foley. it could be money well spent for Irish rugby particularly of Leo and team can learn from it.
                  Last edited by The Last Stand; 17th-June-2016, 05:21.

Comment

I'd like to wish him a speedy and full recovery. It's a terrible affliction which, on rare occasions, may lead to delusional behaviour and insanity (as can be seen on this thread and elsewhere on this forum).
                    New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

Comment

Sounds positive. Any (unconfirmed or otherwise) basis for such a a statement?
                      ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                      AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

What is interesting when a competition goes into decline in terms of its relevance to professional competitive sport is the number of times those who are most in favour of it keep telling everyone (but perhaps especially themselves) that it the 'bestest in the whole world'. The other obvious example of this is in soccerball with the FA cup, which has a fantastic tradition but is not relevant (compared to the past) in today's professional game. The broadcasters have to keep telling everyone (just like with the Lions) that it the greatest honour/cup - when everyone knows that it is slipping further and further in relevance.

In the unlikely event - that Wales beat the ABs this week (something that most of the rugby world wants to see) then the forthcoming Lions trip to NZ will look even sillier and luckily for the Lions, England didn't go on tour this year to NZ or we would probably be looking at a serious embarrassment for the Lions touring party going on a tour in which just 1 of their number had (recently) already done a number on NZ.
                        Last edited by AdolphusGrigson; 17th-June-2016, 12:15.
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Comment

A mini series comprising 4 teams. The GB&I Lions, NZ, Aus & The Pacific Islands, Europe (sans the home nations) and a rest of the world team.

This would interest the rugby population the world over and would provide a nice fillip between world cups.

I for one would enjoy it anyway.
                          But we already have the B&I Lions tour once every 4 years which interests most rugby nations and makes money....

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                            What is interesting when a competition goes into decline in terms of its relevance to professional competitive sport is the number of times those who are most in favour of it keep telling everyone (but perhaps especially themselves) that it the 'bestest in the whole world'. The other obvious example of this is in soccerball with the FA cup, which has a fantastic tradition but is not relevant (compared to the past) in today's professional game. The broadcasters have to keep telling everyone (just like with the Lions) that it the greatest honour/cup - when everyone knows that it is slipping further and further in relevance.

In the unlikely event - that Wales beat the ABs this week (something that most of the rugby world wants to see) then the forthcoming Lions trip to NZ will look even sillier and luckily for the Lions, England didn't go on tour this year to NZ or we would probably be looking at a serious embarrassment for the Lions touring party going on a tour in which just 1 of their number had (recently) already done a number on NZ.
                            You got any information and data to back that claim up or is just your opinion?

Comment

But we already have the B&I Lions tour once every 4 years which interests most rugby nations and makes money....
                              I was suggesting it as an idea in place of the current B&I Lions tour. An expanded tournament the Lions play in, in the same time window they would usually play 7 your matches and 3 tests in.

Comment

I was suggesting it as an idea in place of the current B&I Lions tour. An expanded tournament the Lions play in, in the same time window they would usually play 7 your matches and 3 tests in.
                                The Lions Tour is very lucrative. Last tour's financials:
                                Under the current 12-year agreement, which expires after the tour of New Zealand in 2017 and appears loaded in favour of the hosts, the last tour to Australia generated at least €57 million for the Australian Rugby Union. The four Home Unions shared a profit – largely generated by their own sponsorship deals – of €8.5 million, on top of £50,000 compensation for each player in the 37-man squad. In order to cover the cost of almost €20 million for the tour to Australia, the Lions arranged a stopover en route to Australia in Hong Kong and a game against the Barbarians which raised the Lions an estimated €15 million.
                                Without the cash injection from the Lions Tour every 12 years, the SH Unions involved, would probably go belly up.

Comment

Working...
                                X