Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Brian's legs were apparently gone

Haven't heard this before - but buried in the ToryGraph article is this

"I understand, he had GPS data to show that O’Driscoll was struggling horribly at that stage of the tour. Put simply, his legs had gone."

New information?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...l-opinion.html

​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

Old news.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Gatland knew in his mind that a centre combination of Jamie Roberts and Jonathan Davies would be best in that Lions Test as he prepared to unleash his ‘Warrenball’ at its most confrontational and physical, but also, so I understand, he had GPS data to show that O’Driscoll was struggling horribly at that stage of the tour. Put simply, his legs had gone.

In both training and matches players now wear GPS monitors on the back of their shirts. Distances covered and speeds reached are recorded and they provide invaluable information for coaches. But the key is not to become enslaved to this information. It is about balance, and still trusting intuition.
      The wider quote shows that Gatland simply wanted areason to unleash his "Warrenball"

I still think it was harsh to drop BOD, and was done somewhat spitefully by Gatland.

Still bitter.. yes I am.

Comment

Originally posted by Murillo View Post
        The wider quote shows that Gatland simply wanted areason to unleash his "Warrenball"

I still think it was harsh to drop BOD, and was done somewhat spitefully by Gatland.

Still bitter.. yes I am.
        Before the tournament you might reasonably have expected him to start the first and last tests with a rest in the middle as three successive games of that intensity would have been a big ask. Injuries forced Gatlands hand to start him in the first two instead of the first and last, it's a bit of a non story that he was dropped, sorry rested.

Comment

Originally posted by Murillo View Post

Still bitter.. yes I am.
          Interesting to know if what Mr Jones 'understands' is based on verifiable/verified fact.

Not that stats are the only factor - as another article in the same print edition of the Torygraph points out in relation to the retirement of Adam Jones.

Has our Bri had his spake on this 'understanding' ?

Comment

Bit of nonsense to all that.

The GPS data is only reflective of the movement of the player. Total movement, speeds etc.

It cannot capture the intent of the player. You cannot state that the data proves an inability on Brian O Driscoll's part bar he comes in off the park afterwards and states that he was trying to run as fast as possible as much as possible . . . or something to that effect.

What the GPS could just as easily be demonstrating is economy of motion from a very intelligent player. Someone who read the game well and spared his energy as a result . . .partly out of a necessity due to age.

It doesn't vindicate Gatland. The Result on the day did that. A coach can pick whom ever they desire if they are getting the results.

Its the same as with Joe Schmidt. I often groan and quietly grumble when I see his selections and what I might construe as bias . . .but jesus he can field the entire Leinster U20 and no one can say a thing if he still brings in the results like he has been.

Comment

Originally posted by Corcíoch View Post
              Bit of nonsense to all that.

The GPS data is only reflective of the movement of the player. Total movement, speeds etc.

It cannot capture the intent of the player. You cannot state that the data proves an inability on Brian O Driscoll's part bar he comes in off the park afterwards and states that he was trying to run as fast as possible as much as possible . . . or something to that effect.

What the GPS could just as easily be demonstrating is economy of motion from a very intelligent player. Someone who read the game well and spared his energy as a result . . .partly out of a necessity due to age.

It doesn't vindicate Gatland. The Result on the day did that. A coach can pick whom ever they desire if they are getting the results.

Its the same as with Joe Schmidt. I often groan and quietly grumble when I see his selections and what I might construe as bias . . .but jesus he can field the entire Leinster U20 and no one can say a thing if he still brings in the results like he has been.
              Logically, results do not vindicate an individual player selection - they certainly make them more difficult to criticise.

Comment

Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                Haven't heard this before - but buried in the ToryGraph article is this

"I understand, he had GPS data to show that O’Driscoll was struggling horribly at that stage of the tour. Put simply, his legs had gone."

New information?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...l-opinion.html

Hardly. We could see it here!

Davies was playing better. It was the right call, for the right reasons, and vindicated.
                Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                  Hardly. We could see it here!

Davies was playing better. It was the right call, for the right reasons, and vindicated.
                  Repeated and inappropriate use of the V word does not make it so.

Comment

Repeated and inappropriate use of the V word does not make it so.
                    If a player is picked to perform a specific role, does so, and that role contributes to victory, then that is a vindication. Nor every win is a vindication, but some are.

Comment

Logically, results do not vindicate an individual player selection - they certainly make them more difficult to criticise.

Logically they absolutely do Vindicate.

A group of players is selected to perform a task. To Win. When that group preforms that task their selection is vindicated.

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                        If a player is picked to perform a specific role, does so, and that role contributes to victory, then that is a vindication. Nor every win is a vindication, but some are.
                        There is no vindication of the dropping of Bri in the performance of Davies.

Comment

A group of players is selected to perform a task. To Win. When that group preforms that task their selection is vindicated.
                          Not every selection in a victorious group does vindicate, that is logically correct. It's not logically correct to say victory does not vindicate any selection, though.

Comment

The overall / team selection is vindicated not an individual selection - it is impossible to consider the role of an individual compared to another who didn't play. From a common sense point of view if the individual in question contribution was remarkable then it is unlikely any debate would ensue - that was not the situation in this case.

Comment

The overall / team selection is vindicated not an individual selection - it is impossible to consider the role of an individual compared to another who didn't play. From a common sense point of view if the individual in question contribution was remarkable then it is unlikely any debate would ensue - that was not the situation in this case.
                              Its a team sport. Key point imo.

A group of players are selected. The team wins, then the group as a whole are vindicated. The correct group to carry out the task was chosen.

Comment

Working...
                              X