Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

France to replace England in Lions

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Thanks chief.
    The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

    Originally posted by the plastic paddy
    Gwan the Welsh

    Comment


      Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
      Quite the read I must say having missed all this with the time difference!

      Adolphus - If rugby is such a closed shop compared to golf then why hasn't the Ryder Cup expanded to Europe vs Rest of the World yet with such a huge contingent of Aussies, Saffers, Argies and a growing Asian market?

      Also......would this perspective NH v SH still play tour games each year? I presume you propose the same timing too so there will be no June international games with unions losing more money?

      TPP - I'm surprised with you being so against Irish players taking part in a Lions tour that you would now advocate the same players playing for a NH select team
      Against a SH select team who would beat the sh't out of each other to get on the side and would tour the NH deep into their summer break.

      Comment


        Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
        That's fair about Georgia OL. However, if this notion did grow legs and you included the rest of Europe then Georgia's chances of getting anybody onto the tour party only diminishes. Adding France in particular would make the whole
        Squad even harder to qualify for.

        Georgia ain't a bad team, but if they joined the 6 nations they'd be duking it out with Italy for 6th or 7th every single year.

        The token lions cap would be just that, a token gesture. If it was a toss up between some Georgian fella or an uncapped young talent from one of the home nations(Duncan Casey) which would most rather see selected?
        It takes time for new teams to realise their potential it certainly did for the french. It is also the case for the italians even though they have had some memorable results and seem to be getting stronger year after year.
        I would be confident that if georgia where to join 6 nations and make it 7 that the first few years would be a struggle but i also would be confident that within a decade georgia would be match for scotland italy and i remember them giving us a hard time in a world cup not too long ago .

        What second tier nations desperately need is a platform to play to the standard necessary. Italy in recent years troubled the all blux iirc and with a decent ref would have won which is more than we have done.

        The french who at one stage couldn't even play rugby to any standard and one may argue sometimes that still is the case! reached the last world cup final and for my money beat the all blacks but for joubert.

        I would personally like to see georgia in the 6 nations if this is not possible for georgia and for other european nations a platform is then needed and the european team would provide that.
        So I walked as day was dawning
        Where small birds sang and leaves were falling
        Where we once watched the row boats landing
        By the broad majestic shannon

        Comment


          It would help if more than two club teams outside the six nations could be accommodated into the Nigels' plans for us all.

          Comment


            What is difficult to understand is why there is such resistance to change - and widening the net - as per the Ryder cup - it would still be the Lions just expanded. Arguably Ireland should have been expelled after independence it is a bit hypocritical for Irish people to say - no one else joins the club - when we are (in part at least) not one of the 'home' nations ourselves.

            Jolly poor show and all that.
            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

            Originally Posted by mr chips
            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

            Comment


              You are one hell of a troll.

              Comment


                Here fishy fishy fishy!! You had your fun when you caught me at my narky best in the morning.

                Time to move along now lad!

                Comment


                  re. "at my narky best in the morning"

                  I think you are being a little unfair to yourself there... nevertheless - say 3 Hail Marys and watch Leinster's 3 HCup finals through to the end.
                  ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                  Originally Posted by mr chips
                  AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by whimpersnap View Post
                    You are one hell of a troll.
                    You seem to be quite an aggressive little chap?



                    The Lions did play France in the late eighties but it wasn't an official tour match - in days gone by one reason for keeping the French out - would have been that the touring party would have been mostly French. lol

                    It would be good if Argentina move up the pecking order and that that they might then get a slice of the action and the 'Home' Lions perhaps might also play a combined islands team - at least on their way to one of ''big' three - though NZ would probably be up in arms over that - cant have the 'nursery' countries getting above themselves.
                    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                    Originally Posted by mr chips
                    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                    Comment


                      I meant to say you are on one hell of a troll but I suppose whatever works.

                      Comment


                        Irish Times forgets that the Lions are also Irish (see reference to the boul Conor)

                        http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/rugb...ance-1.2082627
                        ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                        Originally Posted by mr chips
                        AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                          It is exactly the same as the golf (with the Ryder Cup) - give it a wider playing base and wider appeal and update it so we are not sending 4 teams off to beat the likes of Australia or SA(if they have a dip in form). It would still be called the Lions just have more teams involved - just as the Golf - cant see the problem.

                          You have to admit beating Aus was hardly an achievement - given we had beaten a better Aus team a year previously on our own in a much more important fixture(World Cup).

                          In relation to your point about the Baa Baas - that exactly what the current set-up resembles - a glorified Baa Baas which makes a lot of money - a more professional arrangement would make more money by getting greater involvement.
                          I'm not going to read any more because all of your posts read the same, so someone else might have said this, but the Lions lose more often than they win so it is not as if the series is not competitive.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Jippo View Post
                            I'm not going to read any more because all of your posts read the same, so someone else might have said this, but the Lions lose more often than they win so it is not as if the series is not competitive.
                            Ah go on.. Ya will, ya will, ya will.
                            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                            Originally Posted by mr chips
                            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                            Comment

                            Working...
                            X