Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish Lions who played League of Ireland

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Irish Lions who played League of Ireland

    Help on a teaser... Irish rugby trivia question. Apparently there are five Irish men who have played rugby for Ireland, The Lions and played in the LOI in soccer. I know of two in Tony Ward and Tom Clifford. I need the other three. Any help on this is much appreciated.
    Last edited by redherring; 2nd-December-2014, 10:29.
    He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

    #2
    Originally posted by redherring View Post
    Help on a teaser... Irish rugby trivia question. Apparently there are five Irish men who have played rugby for Ireland, The Lions and played in the LOI in soccer. I know of two in Tony Ward and Tom Clifford. I need the other three. Any help on this is much appreciated.
    Maybe not the correct answer, unless a trick question, but Paul McNaughton player rugby for Greystones & Ireland, soccer for Shelbourne (I remember!) and, according to Wikipedia, played for the Chicago Lions rugby team while working with the IDA in the US.
    "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
    Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

    Comment


      #3
      This has Piquet written all over it
      I am the million man.

      Comment


        #4
        I can't think of any off hand but there are a few that may be similar to McNaughton's case that one of their other teams were called Lions.......

        Hugo MacNeill played up front for UCD and was top scorer the year (his final year) before they were admitted into LOI (they played LOI B League at the time)
        Kevin and Mick O'Flanagan played LOI with Bohs.
        Tommy Moroney played LOI with Cork United
        Barry McGann played on the same Shels team as McNaughton

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
          I can't think of any off hand but there are a few that may be similar to McNaughton's case that one of their other teams were called Lions.......

          Hugo MacNeill played up front for UCD and was top scorer the year (his final year) before they were admitted into LOI (they played LOI B League at the time)
          Hugo was Trinity. Scored both goals when they beat Maynooth 2-0 to win the Collingwood Cup - think it was his final year there.
          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

          Comment


            #6
            Cheers lads. The question was specific about them being Lions.

            Also mods I see my thread title has or instead of. Could someone change that.
            He's a guy who gets up at six o'clock in the morning regardless of what time it is.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by redherring View Post
              Cheers lads. The question was specific about them being Lions.

              Also mods I see my thread title has or instead of. Could someone change that.
              Go to your first post on this thread and hit edit, then click go advanced and you'll get the title bar as well as the post content to adapt.
              I am the million man.

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                Hugo was Trinity. Scored both goals when they beat Maynooth 2-0 to win the Collingwood Cup - think it was his final year there.
                I was always led to believe he was still UCD's highest scorer in a single season. No chance he went to UCD before Trinity is there?!!?

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by garryowen2323 View Post
                  I was always led to believe he was still UCD's highest scorer in a single season. No chance he went to UCD before Trinity is there?!!?

                  Trinity and Oxford

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Tony O'Reilly played for Home Farm
                    A lion online, a lamb at home.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                      Tony O'Reilly played for Home Farm
                      They weren't in the League of Ireland until they took over Drumcondra in 1972. AJF never played with them after that.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X