Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Irish and British Lions team of the year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Irish and British Lions team of the year?

Last night the British and Irish Lions were awarded team of the year by a "Team of experts"? I was bloody furious. The Lions squad was the exact opposite of the word "Team". The definition of the word could be written to highlight their shortcomings:

"A group in itself does not necessarily constitute a team. Teams normally have members with complementary skills and generate synergy through a coordinated effort which allows each member to maximize his/her strengths and minimize his/her weaknesses. Team members need to learn how to help one another, help other team members realize their true potential, and create an environment that allows everyone to go beyond their limitations.[1] A team becomes more than just a collection of people when a strong sense of mutual commitment creates synergy, thus generating performance greater than the sum of the performance of its individual members."

They failed to make the most of their combined strengths and when under pressure they reverted to a clique within the group, thus undermining the entire tradition and ethos of the Irish and British Lions. how will this effect the tour in the future?

The expert panel to select the winners were in the main journalists with a smattering of athletes and only one team athlete (Micheal Vaughan). This panel have given a green light and public justification for the manager of to drive a truck through the idea of a touring squad.

Well done to Warren Gatland and the 22 players who won in style but the Lions touring squad team of the year? I think not!

I agree it's a total joke and there's a lot ill with the whole Lions concept particularly as a "team" entity. The number of players who didn't play the last test who spoke about their emptiness and unwillingness to celebrate the series win spoke volume at how the Lions in essence is an individual plaudit rather than any sort of unified experience.

There seems to be a real concession from the British media and public to make as positive as they can from the whole thing.

Comment

As an aside does anyone know if all-island Ireland teams are eligible for "team of the year" in these awards ? I know European teams have been nominated & indeed have won in the past, but I can't remember any irish team for an all-island sport being in the nominations let alone winning.
      Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Interesting question LL. Technically Ulster and the Irish rugby team would qualify for the BBC team of the year, maybe we will find out in 2015 after we have won the Rugby World Cup!?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by Reus View Post
          I agree it's a total joke and there's a lot ill with the whole Lions concept particularly as a "team" entity. The number of players who didn't play the last test who spoke about their emptiness and unwillingness to celebrate the series win spoke volume at how the Lions in essence is an individual plaudit rather than any sort of unified experience.

There seems to be a real concession from the British media and public to make as positive as they can from the whole thing.
          Missed that. Have you a link for it?
          Tis but a scratch.

Comment

They weren't awarded Team of the Year.

It was BBC team of the year.

Massive Difference.
            Last edited by CorcĂ­och; 16-December-2013, 13:45.

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
              Interesting question LL. Technically Ulster and the Irish rugby team would qualify for the BBC team of the year, maybe we will find out in 2015 after we have won the Rugby World Cup!?!?!
              Now you're talking, paddy
              Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                Could you imagine the reaction had the irish cricketers been nominated when they beat england at the cricket world cup ;)
                I was thinking of it this year because the irish womens rugby captain was at the awards.. and while they got a mention in the titles round-up that was all they got.
                Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

The rugby highlight of the year didn't deserve a mention because of a small number of internet posters with a known if inexplicable agenda? You've proven to be very much in the minority again, meanwhile the honest fans have great DVD's to look fwd to xmas day :)
                  My computer thinks I'm gay
                  What's the difference anyway
                  When all the people do all day
                  Is stare into a phone

Comment

I must remind the missus how great a stocking filler that would be!!! :)

Comment

I shall be dropping the hint myself :)
                      My computer thinks I'm gay
                      What's the difference anyway
                      When all the people do all day
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Working...
                      X