• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lions Raw

Behind the scenes look at the lions 2013 tour. On Sky Sports 2 NOW

Dramatic stuff, even now.
    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Feck, all that's on SS2 now is WWE Raw
      Latine mottos non sunt omnes qui
      Do not try to bend the spoon — that's impossible. Instead, only try to realize the truth: there is no spoon.

Comment

It was just a preview show.

DVD is out 28th of this month.
        Life is good

Comment

Originally posted by munstershane View Post
          It was just a preview show.

DVD is out 28th of this month.
          Anyone know where you can purchase the DVD tomorrow?? Golden Discs?

Comment

Tipplad - I actually saw it for sale in xtravision/hmv at thurles shopping centre yesterday !!
            Fail to prepare, Prepare to fail!!

Comment

Yep, also, Tesco have had it on sale for the last 5/6 days

Comment

There seems to be two DVD's out. Lions Raw and The official tour Film.

I take Raw would be the better one as its more behind the scenes stuff?

Comment

I got Lions Raw as a Christmas pressie (also got ROG's book). The DVD is good, worth watching, but not as good as I hoped. They play an awful lot on the hype of actually winning a Test series for the first time, but other Lions DVDs have been better, even in defeat (NZ 2005 for example).

Easily the best moment is Zebo's phoning Penney and asking for the captaincy. The DVD includes the conversation with Penney who calls back as he is leaving the voicemail. The whole piece is really funny.

Interesting to see all the team talks throughout the film, either the night before or in the dressing room before the matches, and they were very much varied quality too. To my surprise, I felt Andy Farrell was one of the best of them. Gatland was a quiet enough speechmaker. Warburton clearly is a pitch leader, but not a massive speaker. Alan Wynne Jones comes across really well in the dressing room before the final test. Heaslip for some reason seemed to be doing a lot of shouting in the dressing rooms, but it doesn't come across too well. Howley so-so. Rowntree was good in the scrum coaching sessions. BOD spoke well, but it felt he was being used as a (dramatic) prop: why a Lions test series win would mean so much to him, etc. etc.

The most striking feature in the DVD for me was how much Gatland used BOD all the time in his team talks as a reason to go out and win the 2nd test and the series - how they should do it for BOD, BOD on how he didn't "get it" as a young guy on tour, BOD saying how desperate he was to be part of winning a series, etc. Then Boom! - dropped for the 3rd, and very little mention of it on the DVD.

POC comes across as the distinguished leader and elder statesman, Sexton hardly figures at all (cutting room floor probably), Sean O'Brien is funny introducing Alex Corbisiero on the bus to do his party piece, and Cian Healy's injury is featured.

Anyway, now to look at the second DVD - the "extras".......
                  "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                  Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Originally posted by blackwarrior View Post
                    I got Lions Raw as a Christmas pressie (also got ROG's book). The DVD is good, worth watching, but not as good as I hoped. They play an awful lot on the hype of actually winning a Test series for the first time, but other Lions DVDs have been better, even in defeat (NZ 2005 for example).

Easily the best moment is Zebo's phoning Penney and asking for the captaincy. The DVD includes the conversation with Penney who calls back as he is leaving the voicemail. The whole piece is really funny.

Interesting to see all the team talks throughout the film, either the night before or in the dressing room before the matches, and they were very much varied quality too. To my surprise, I felt Andy Farrell was one of the best of them. Gatland was a quiet enough speechmaker. Warburton clearly is a pitch leader, but not a massive speaker. Alan Wynne Jones comes across really well in the dressing room before the final test. Heaslip for some reason seemed to be doing a lot of shouting in the dressing rooms, but it doesn't come across too well. Howley so-so. Rowntree was good in the scrum coaching sessions. BOD spoke well, but it felt he was being used as a (dramatic) prop: why a Lions test series win would mean so much to him, etc. etc.

The most striking feature in the DVD for me was how much Gatland used BOD all the time in his team talks as a reason to go out and win the 2nd test and the series - how they should do it for BOD, BOD on how he didn't "get it" as a young guy on tour, BOD saying how desperate he was to be part of winning a series, etc. Then Boom! - dropped for the 3rd, and very little mention of it on the DVD.

POC comes across as the distinguished leader and elder statesman, Sexton hardly figures at all (cutting room floor probably), Sean O'Brien is funny introducing Alex Corbisiero on the bus to do his party piece, and Cian Healy's injury is featured.

I'm the exact same.
                    I felt like BOD was there for show more than part of his plans. One minute it was do it for BOD, the next he was dropped and it was barely mentioned. He didn't feature much at all at the start. I thought they'd mention it more, it wasn't talked about.
                    Sexton didn't really make much of an appearance either.
                    POC came across really well and highly valued.
                    I found Heaslip incredibly annoying. Did a lot of unnecessary talking when it didn't seem like it was his place to talk.
                    I think it said a lot that the coaches looked to BOD and POCs leadership to help Warburton, but from what we saw Heaslip, the Irish "captain" was not. For some reason I imagine similar circumstances with the Irish squad, Heaslip doing a lot of huffing and puffing but the leadership comes from elsewhere.

It was good, thought it would be better, and we'd get to see a bit more of the behind the scenes. Zebo's moment was by far the stand out part of the DVD.
                    Last edited by Stringer9; 28th-December-2013, 19:19.
                    The Maul is Back!! LONG LIVE THE MAUL!!

Stringer is bigger even than his own immense shadow. Pound for pound, he is the best tackler in the world. If you put him into bag of cats he\'d come out without a scratch. He was hit very late for Murphy\'s try. And when he got up, as we knew he would, the crowd cried his name as if he had just fixed the economy.Billy Keane-After Munster\'s famous loss to the AB\'s.

The Bull-Truly irreplaceable, a mountain of a man. 100 caps!!

Comment

Poor enough overall I felt and not a patch on 2009. All of them look poor compared to 1997 I'm afraid.
                      I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                        Poor enough overall I felt and not a patch on 2009. All of them look poor compared to 1997 I'm afraid.
                        Shure them there was the days
                        Gwan Joe!!

Comment

I wouldn't bother folks. And if you tend towards insomnia, watch the 20 minute interview with Warbs. I promise you'll crash!
                          "I don't believe in fairytales," O'Connell once told me, "even though it feels like I've been lucky enough to live through a few. However it ends, I'll feel lucky."
                          Donald McRae, Guardian Rugby, October 2015

Comment

Tend to agree with most of the sentiments on here, its not worth it, there is no great insights on it, Warbs may have well been reading out a prepared PR statement, not written by him, the dvd could have been so much better, every tour dvd from the first one in SA have been sliding downwards.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                              Tend to agree with most of the sentiments on here, its not worth it, there is no great insights on it, Warbs may have well been reading out a prepared PR statement, not written by him, the dvd could have been so much better, every tour dvd from the first one in SA have been sliding downwards.
                              The 97 one was "raw" and was all the better for it. Al Wynn jones was by far the best speaker on it. As was Andy Farrell
                              I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Working...
                              X