Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lions - Should it be Canned for Good!? Time to Consign It to History?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• upandout
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    Damage being the operative word.
    Please don't reduce another Lions tour to a single BOD related incident. There is a lot more to Lions tours than Brian O'Driscoll. Carters performances during that tour were the best fly half performances I've ever seen. If you're to remember something from that tour I'd recommend that.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by upandout View Post
    New Zealand were just immense that summer. I think they'd have done similar damage to anyone else who toured there right then.
    Damage being the operative word.

Leave a comment:

• upandout
    replied
    Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
    yeah maybe. Cant say I appreciated the carnage of 2005 at the time.
    New Zealand were just immense that summer. I think they'd have done similar damage to anyone else who toured there right then.

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    A win for Ireland over NZ would mean more to me too, in fact the Lions beating NZ wouldn't mean much to me but I'd still like to watch the matches. I certainly enjoyed NZ-Lions 2005 more than Irelands last tour down there. Watching that NZ team in 2005 at their peak was incredible, Carters performances alone made the tour as a spectacle worth it.
    yeah maybe. Cant say I appreciated the carnage of 2005 at the time.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Winning the lottery would mean a lot to me, like Ireland beating NZ its also got sweet FA to do with Lions tours

Leave a comment:

• upandout
    replied
    A test win for Ireland over NZ would mean a lot more to me. I think its debatable whether the entertainment is top-notch. I think there was one very good test match this time round and two pretty average ones. But its a revenue generator and money talks in the pro game.
    A win for Ireland over NZ would mean more to me too, in fact the Lions beating NZ wouldn't mean much to me but I'd still like to watch the matches. I certainly enjoyed NZ-Lions 2005 more than Irelands last tour down there. Watching that NZ team in 2005 at their peak was incredible, Carters performances alone made the tour as a spectacle worth it.

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    My top priority would be watching top notch test matches which the Lions deliver. I'd love you to exemplify the knock on deteriorating effect the Lions have had on Connacht by the way? Injuries is an oft repeated argument but players get injured on summer tours too, summer tours take place in the years the Lions don't. Lions tend to be better watching than the summer tours in my opinion.
    A test win for Ireland over NZ would mean a lot more to me. I think its debatable whether the entertainment is top-notch. I think there was one very good test match this time round and two pretty average ones. But its a revenue generator and money talks in the pro game.

Leave a comment:

• upandout
    replied
    I honestly don't see the point in going to NZ in the professional era for the Lions. International countries compete in the WC with NZ so they have to play them.
    I don't see the point at the end of the a long hard season travelling to the other side of the world to a place where they are invariably hammered and leaving players knackered for club and country the following season. At least in Oz and SA the Lions have some sort of a track record which could justify the means.
    Depends on what your priorities are. Mine are province and country.
    My top priority would be watching top notch test matches which the Lions deliver. I'd love you to exemplify the knock on deteriorating effect the Lions have had on Connacht by the way? Injuries is an oft repeated argument but players get injured on summer tours too, summer tours take place in the years the Lions don't. Lions tend to be better watching than the summer tours in my opinion.

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    Everybody pretty much has a poor record against New Zealand??? They've historically the best record I don't think that constitutes a reason to disband the Lions. Ireland have a terrible record against New Zealand should we stop playing them?

I watched that game; Cruden looks top notch, hard to say if he'll hit the same heights as Carter on an international scale.
    I honestly don't see the point in going to NZ in the professional era for the Lions. International countries compete in the WC with NZ so they have to play them.
    I don't see the point at the end of the a long hard season travelling to the other side of the world to a place where they are invariably hammered and leaving players knackered for club and country the following season. At least in Oz and SA the Lions have some sort of a track record which could justify the means.
    Depends on what your priorities are. Mine are province and country.

Leave a comment:

• upandout
    replied
    because it happens to be my opinion. You don't have ownership of the thread or the website. The facts are the lions have a terrible record in NZ.

As for Carter did you see Aaron Cruden last Saturday? I'll lend you the highlights. They'll be fine at 10.
    Everybody pretty much has a poor record against New Zealand??? They've historically the best record I don't think that constitutes a reason to disband the Lions. Ireland have a terrible record against New Zealand should we stop playing them?

I watched that game; Cruden looks top notch, hard to say if he'll hit the same heights as Carter on an international scale.

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post
    I believe the IRFU are the ones blocking provincial teams taking on SH international sides.

The contracts will be renegotiated and the 4 home unions are expected to get more of the money from the tours. Will you then regard the Lions tours as beneficial?
    The SH international teams don't seem to be playing any club sides in any other countries either so maybe it isn't entirely down to the IRFU not wanting to upset Aviva. Every tour Ireland undertake they seem to be asked to play franchises and our refusal is cited as a reason for the SH international sides not playing our regions. But none of this factors in the Lions games against the franchises. Why doesn't the Lions team play its warm up games against 'home' union club sides and then travel down under solely to play the tests? The Lions would get competitive games against professional opposition, unlike on the last few Lions tours when the SH unions have deliberately fielded weakened sides to undermine the Lions preparations.

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    What a wonderfully dour offering. I don't reckon you can tell the future; you really have no way of knowing how the next tour to NZ will go especially considering Carter and McCaw will have retired. Why bother posting when your contribution is surly, negative and conversation killing?
    because it happens to be my opinion. You don't have ownership of the thread or the website. The facts are the lions have a terrible record in NZ.

As for Carter did you see Aaron Cruden last Saturday? I'll lend you the highlights. They'll be fine at 10.

Leave a comment:

• upandout
    replied
    Nothing refreshing going to NZ to have the shortcomngs shown up time and again.
    What a wonderfully dour offering. I don't reckon you can tell the future; you really have no way of knowing how the next tour to NZ will go especially considering Carter and McCaw will have retired. Why bother posting when your contribution is surly, negative and conversation killing?

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    Depressing to see such fiscal-centric opines about the Lions. I am obviously aware that since professionalism the Lions has been heavily commercialized. For the men in the suits who make money out of rugby this is important but I don't see why the supporters should care that much about it. Arguing against a rugby tour on the grounds of business decisions is incredibly shallow. Do you enjoy Irelands/Munsters success because of the financial windfall or because of the rugby???

Frankly I couldn't care less how big the ARU directors bonuses are I'm much more concerned with the rugby, the spectacle. Regardless of your allegiances or emotional investment in the Lions the tests are top notch viewing. Up there with the best of Aus/SA against NZ in my opinion. Not a vintage tour viewing wise this year but 2009, 2001 & 1997 were feasts of rugby. I think supporting rugby should be about the game not about the associated financial profits of boardroom players. The constant diatribes about money on here would lead me to believe some posters would have more interest in watching a boardroom meeting than a game of rugby.

At the end of the day the Lions tends to deliver 3 cracking tests. There is an intrigue not to mention wonderful debate to the exact combination of the best of 4 nations. Well 3 unfortunately of late but I'm sure the Scots will address that in time. The rugby on the show is played at the highest intensity and the opposition tend to be worth watching too. The idea of replacing it with a watered down world cup is unappealing. The Lions tour happens once every 4 years, all the players seem incredibly keen on it. Being rugby players you might respect their judgement on the matter somewhat. It's a refreshing three tests, media coverage is becoming painful sure but at the end of the day it makes for a nice change.
    Nothing refreshing going to NZ to have the shortcomngs shown up time and again.

Leave a comment:

• upandout
    replied
    Depressing to see such fiscal-centric opines about the Lions. I am obviously aware that since professionalism the Lions has been heavily commercialized. For the men in the suits who make money out of rugby this is important but I don't see why the supporters should care that much about it. Arguing against a rugby tour on the grounds of business decisions is incredibly shallow. Do you enjoy Irelands/Munsters success because of the financial windfall or because of the rugby???

Frankly I couldn't care less how big the ARU directors bonuses are I'm much more concerned with the rugby, the spectacle. Regardless of your allegiances or emotional investment in the Lions the tests are top notch viewing. Up there with the best of Aus/SA against NZ in my opinion. Not a vintage tour viewing wise this year but 2009, 2001 & 1997 were feasts of rugby. I think supporting rugby should be about the game not about the associated financial profits of boardroom players. The constant diatribes about money on here would lead me to believe some posters would have more interest in watching a boardroom meeting than a game of rugby.

At the end of the day the Lions tends to deliver 3 cracking tests. There is an intrigue not to mention wonderful debate to the exact combination of the best of 4 nations. Well 3 unfortunately of late but I'm sure the Scots will address that in time. The rugby on the show is played at the highest intensity and the opposition tend to be worth watching too. The idea of replacing it with a watered down world cup is unappealing. The Lions tour happens once every 4 years, all the players seem incredibly keen on it. Being rugby players you might respect their judgement on the matter somewhat. It's a refreshing three tests, media coverage is becoming painful sure but at the end of the day it makes for a nice change.
    Last edited by upandout; 29-July-2013, 19:05. Reason: Made the bad engrish.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X