Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lions - Should it be Canned for Good!? Time to Consign It to History?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by upandout View Post
    My top priority would be watching top notch test matches which the Lions deliver. I'd love you to exemplify the knock on deteriorating effect the Lions have had on Connacht by the way? Injuries is an oft repeated argument but players get injured on summer tours too, summer tours take place in the years the Lions don't. Lions tend to be better watching than the summer tours in my opinion.
    A test win for Ireland over NZ would mean a lot more to me. I think its debatable whether the entertainment is top-notch. I think there was one very good test match this time round and two pretty average ones. But its a revenue generator and money talks in the pro game.
    I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

    Comment


      Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
      A test win for Ireland over NZ would mean a lot more to me. I think its debatable whether the entertainment is top-notch. I think there was one very good test match this time round and two pretty average ones. But its a revenue generator and money talks in the pro game.
      A win for Ireland over NZ would mean more to me too, in fact the Lions beating NZ wouldn't mean much to me but I'd still like to watch the matches. I certainly enjoyed NZ-Lions 2005 more than Irelands last tour down there. Watching that NZ team in 2005 at their peak was incredible, Carters performances alone made the tour as a spectacle worth it.

      Comment


        Winning the lottery would mean a lot to me, like Ireland beating NZ its also got sweet FA to do with Lions tours
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

        Comment


          Originally posted by upandout View Post
          A win for Ireland over NZ would mean more to me too, in fact the Lions beating NZ wouldn't mean much to me but I'd still like to watch the matches. I certainly enjoyed NZ-Lions 2005 more than Irelands last tour down there. Watching that NZ team in 2005 at their peak was incredible, Carters performances alone made the tour as a spectacle worth it.
          yeah maybe. Cant say I appreciated the carnage of 2005 at the time.
          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

          Comment


            Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
            yeah maybe. Cant say I appreciated the carnage of 2005 at the time.
            New Zealand were just immense that summer. I think they'd have done similar damage to anyone else who toured there right then.

            Comment


              Originally posted by upandout View Post
              New Zealand were just immense that summer. I think they'd have done similar damage to anyone else who toured there right then.
              Damage being the operative word.

              Comment


                Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                Damage being the operative word.
                Please don't reduce another Lions tour to a single BOD related incident. There is a lot more to Lions tours than Brian O'Driscoll. Carters performances during that tour were the best fly half performances I've ever seen. If you're to remember something from that tour I'd recommend that.

                Comment


                  Originally posted by upandout View Post
                  Please don't reduce another Lions tour to a single BOD related incident. There is a lot more to Lions tours than Brian O'Driscoll. Carters performances during that tour were the best fly half performances I've ever seen. If you're to remember something from that tour I'd recommend that.
                  True but if you're Irish its hard not to remember him being taken clean out by a dangerous tackle that went unpunished
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                  Comment


                    The Lions - Should it be Canned for Good!? Time to Consign It to History?

                    What happened to BOD on this last tour does not even get close to Mealamu and Umanga's assault. I wonder if they would have set out to maim him if he had been captaining Ireland rather than the Lions?

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                      True but if you're Irish its hard not to remember him being taken clean out by a dangerous tackle that went unpunished
                      I am Irish and I remember the incident. It was however a multiple week tour and a lot more happened than just that. Being Irish we are always going to look back with anger on the incident. However if the next time Ireland played New Zealand SOB and POM dumped Carter on his head, put him out of the game and we went onto win; I think you and I both know we'd make yards and yards of excuses for our two lads and in actual fact be delighted at beating the NZ. Hell we'd probably praise the two lads for 'old school toughness' or some such.

                      Comment


                        The Lions - Should it be Canned for Good!? Time to Consign It to History?

                        Can't agree upandout, if two Irish lads deliberately speared any player into the ground like that, that far away from play they would correctly be torn to pieces on here. Fortunately I don't think any Irish player would ever try and maim someone in the way that Umanga and Mealamu did.

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                          Can't agree upandout, if two Irish lads deliberately speared any player into the ground like that, that far away from play they would correctly be torn to pieces on here. Fortunately I don't think any Irish player would ever try and maim someone in the way that Umanga and Mealamu did.
                          Irish players have plenty of previous with foul play in the past. Clohessy perhaps the most graphic to my memory in more recent times Messrs Healy and O'Driscoll have produced dangerous moments of foul play. Correct me if I'm wrong but at the time of the umaga incident there was no law against a spear tackle. That law came as a result of the play. I'm not suggesting it was right but I don't think a single isolated incident can be used as a reason to disavow a wonderful rugby spectacle. Duncan McRae and his fists of fury was a more deliberate attempt to inflict pain and injury on a Lion. However that was ROG so we don't get so up in arms, Burger gouged again a very deliberate act of foul play with dangerous consequences but we're not holding onto that as a reason to stop the Lions. Players will transgress the law, competitive spirit ensures that. I believe they set out to rattle O'Driscoll certainly; I don't for a minute believe they set out to end his career.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by upandout View Post
                            I am Irish and I remember the incident. It was however a multiple week tour and a lot more happened than just that. Being Irish we are always going to look back with anger on the incident. However if the next time Ireland played New Zealand SOB and POM dumped Carter on his head, put him out of the game and we went onto win; I think you and I both know we'd make yards and yards of excuses for our two lads and in actual fact be delighted at beating the NZ. Hell we'd probably praise the two lads for 'old school toughness' or some such.
                            sorry mate I wouldn't. It was an absolute disgrace of an incident. And you're digging a hole for yourself there. He could have ended in a wheelchair had he not moved his neck. At that juncture if we beat NZ with Carter getting the same treatment I wouldn't take any pride in the win at all
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                              sorry mate I wouldn't. It was an absolute disgrace of an incident. And you're digging a hole for yourself there. He could have ended in a wheelchair had he not moved his neck. At that juncture if we beat NZ with Carter getting the same treatment I wouldn't take any pride in the win at all
                              Do you genuinely think if Ireland beat New Zealand for the first time with a similar incident occuring that people would be getting as up in arms as they did when it happened to O'Driscoll?

                              Comment


                                "he could have doid"
                                My computer thinks I'm gay
                                What's the difference anyway
                                When all the people do all day
                                Is stare into a phone

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X