Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Lions - Should it be Canned for Good!? Time to Consign It to History?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Lions - Should it be Canned for Good!? Time to Consign It to History?

Is it time to cease Lions tours?

It's a fairly outmoded concept, based on an old outmoded colonial idea. Its relevance in the pro era is questionable at best.

The Cons:
    -It takes our top players on an exhausting end of season tour every 4 years
    -It leads to a high incidence of career affecting injuries to these top players
    -It limits their pre-season preparation the following season, preventing proper prep
    -Its a distraction to domestic& international season
    -It affects potential Irish tours & squad development & WCup prep

The Pros:
    - Lucre, loads of it, it makes dosh for 4 home unions, host union, the players & coaches
    - Tests are good international matches & entertaining
    - Many people like going on the tours
    - The Lions purports to represent the best the 4Ns offers
    - Sky sports adore it & promote it to the hilt
    - Stephen Jones loves it, sure it must be good!?
    Finish Lions?
    36.26%
    Continue with Lions?
    56.04%
    Don't know/ not sure/ don't care
    7.69%
    Last edited by Daithi; 8th-July-2013, 08:40.

alas they are just north munster now.......

You should be canned for this ****, not permaban, just couple of weeks to think about the crap you spew
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Couldn't even leave it a week. Virtual kick in the liathroidi for ye.
      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Pros:

The fans want it.
        The players want it.

Cons:
        We have to put up with threads like this.
        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

PP and Daithi have cast their vote. Can we close poll now.
          Last edited by NotreDameRFC; 8th-July-2013, 09:14.
          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

If there's a Lions vs World Cup conflict, can I move that we bin the latter? A nonsense of a tournament played in a bizarre early season window, which most teams enter without the slightest hope of winning it.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Just a question, and clearly shows my outmoded colonial bias. How many of the anti-Lions brigade discovered rugby through a successful Munster team? How many have a club back ground and have toured themselves and appreciate the value (non financial) of a tour?

Actually that was more than 1 question.
              A lion online, a lamb at home.

Comment

Originally posted by 5eight View Post
                Just a question, and clearly shows my outmoded colonial bias. How many of the anti-Lions brigade discovered rugby through a successful Munster team? How many have a club back ground and have toured themselves and appreciate the value (non financial) of a tour?

Actually that was more than 1 question.
                Daithi could trade club rugby credentials with most, as far as I know.
                "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Look lads I respect your opinion but I don't share it, so less of the hysterics please.

I hope you will still feel the same about the Lions if:
                  -if & when Ireland are without the long term injuries Cian Healy & Ferris next year (again) due to another Lions tour
                  -if & when Bod, Poc, Sob, Sexton, Tommy Bowe, Murray, Heaslip, Best &/or Zebo break down exhausted in the middle of next season due to the arduous nature of a Lions season this year
                  - if Poc &/or Bowe suffer longer term issues with the injuries they've acquired on this trip
                  - if Bod &/or Best fail to rediscover their confidence after the battering it took on this tour
                  - When Ireland's 2014 6 Ns campaign tanks just like every post Lions tour 6 Ns has thus far

Comment

Maybe everyone should just let the entire site rest for a month. Go out and enjoy the sunshine while it lasts, then come back and see how ye all feel. Not just the Lions, but everything.

Comment

BOD's confidence took a battering? Thats pure and utter nonsense, he is just happy he finally won a tour after four attempts. Best has been poor at lineouts since he did his neck about a year ago (incidentally not playing for the Lions at the time). Anyhow you hardly needed a poll to know you are talking raibheas
                      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                        BOD's confidence took a battering? Thats pure and utter nonsense, he is just happy he finally won a tour after four attempts. Best has been poor at lineouts since he did his neck about a year ago (incidentally not playing for the Lions at the time). Anyhow you hardly needed a poll to know you are talking raibheas
                        Forgive me if this sounds patronising
                        to you, but the purpose of a poll is to take an interest in and learn about other's opinions, I actually already know mine, hope this helps you understand a little.

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                          Forgive me if this sounds patronising
                          to you, but the purpose of a poll is to take an interest in and learn about other's opinions, I actually already know mine, hope this helps you understand a little.
                          You can start a poll about anything you like, the fact is there are three more Lions tours already booked so it isnt stopping anytime soon despite your myopic views
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

jesus lads sometimes the reaction on here to posts is akin to American foreign policy..attack first, then talk!!!

Comment

A Lions tour is the pinnacle of the sport for most 4N players. It transcends national borders, and is hugely significant to the players and supporters.

It's a fanatstic spectacle and should be continued.

Just my 2c worth.
                              Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                              Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Working...
                              X