Lions v's Aus 3rd Test Sydney

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
    Roberts hasnt trained in two weeks. hell of a gamble because you have to carry a 12 on the bench instead of a gamebreaker
    people seem to be forgetting that Roberts wasn't setting the world alight anyway, had 1 good game against the weaker side and some dross since. Not being fit for last 2 weeks isn't going to improve that.

Originally posted by Yatenga View Post
    Look at the stats - BOD 14 tackles, none missed. Davies 7 , 3 missed. BOD made a few mistakes sure but is still a great defender, played a good game and not his fault he's still the best 12 in NH and has to play a full 80.
    Game was lost in forwards, not in the backs. Roberts if he is fit will come in for Davies, thats all. Not the time for new combos, the big call is #9. Murray has been the best #9 on tour but it will be a huge call. I'm a big fan but is he up to it?
    don't disagree with his defensive effort but the killer items were the intercepted pass that turned the momentum completely and the wild kicking away of turnover ball that again took the momentum away from his own side. Yes Davies missed the tackle and was totally at fault. Yes BOD was clearly telling him to get his arse over. But BOD was equally to blame for handing possession to the Aussies at key moments. As I said before, BOD these days is trying to write cheques he can no longer cash. Likewise the idea that BOD-Roberts could re-create the form of 2 tests 4 years ago when neither has been the same player for at least 2 years now is wishful thinking. The Lions need to try something else in midfield but I'm not sure what there is. Maybe the Sexon-BOD combo that nursed some really good stuff out of Tuillagi could do it again, problem is he's possibly a worse defender than Davies and beyond that is the ordinary Barritt and Twelvetrees (who has been mashed by amateurs every time he gets the ball).
    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

BOD and Sexton to relax and have a few beers, stop stinking up our play ffs
      My computer thinks I'm gay
      What's the difference anyway
      When all the people do all day
      Is stare into a phone

Comment

Its Gatty I say...he wants a game of attrition with big men in back line...bar 1/2p and BOD...why else would one play Lydiate...don't get me wrong he gives his all in the tackle but that's it...that's what he does...it shows where the head is at...to win the Management would have to play an attacking game with use made of BOD running off a big Lump like Davies/Roberts/Manu...but Zebo on bench rather than another big Lump like Cuthbert...bring 1/2p into the line using his speed, alow sexton to run the game with Murray/Youngs, play Tipuric/SOB...but none of this will happen...minimal changes next week attrition with Roberts at centre if fit, Lydiate tackling his socks off, BOD being used as a aux 7, Corblimey in at LH...and whatever injuries make players unavailable. CUP RUGBY you have to fancy Wallabies at home.

Comment

Assuming corbisero (?) and roberts fit and that Youngs and warbutton (and POC) aren't.

corbisero, hibbard, jones
          Grey AWJ
          SOB, Faleatau, Tipuric
          phillips, Sexton
          North, Tuillagi, BOD (c), Bowe
          1/2p

Vunipola, Best, Cole, Parling, Croft, Murray, Hogg, Davies

If the Lions are on top in the scrum and breakeven in the lineout they can win this. They picked three poor scrumagers in the front five last day. Need to correct that.

Granted with just Grey and AWJ to aim at, the lineout may not be great.
          Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice

Comment

Can't understand why people want to see Heaslip dropped, I think he's been extremely hardworking and effective.

Warburton and Lydiate are two tackle machines, its more carriers are needed. Fatland seems to put more store in what a fella can do without the ball rather than with the ball.

Comes down to the gameplan though, he picks a side to tackle till the cows come home, they'll lose. He picks a side to attack and score tries and I think they'll win.
            I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              Can't understand why people want to see Heaslip dropped, I think he's been extremely hardworking and effective.

Warburton and Lydiate are two tackle machines, its more carriers are needed. Fatland seems to put more store in what a fella can do without the ball rather than with the ball.

Comes down to the gameplan though, he picks a side to tackle till the cows come home, they'll lose. He picks a side to attack and score tries and I think they'll win.
              You've hit the nail on the head there I think. All the stats show the Lions focus was on defence, possibly hoping to get points only via 1/2p. Gatland seems to have little interest in what players do when they actually have the ball. I wonder what Joe Schmidt would be suggesting if he had been included in the coaching set up?

Comment

One interesting element on this tour is that the australian defence is much more like a NH defense than I'd suspect the coaches were expecting & they don't seem to have adapted their tactics to that at all.
                BBC are predicting Robert + Tuilagi to start next weekend, and Warburton looking very iffy due to injury.
                I'd love to see Murray & Zebo get starts, Murray *should* have started yesterday as youngs didn't deserve his start based on his cameo in the first test. But if Philips is fit again we can expect Philips will get the start.

BTW for the lunatics claiming ROG would have gotten that last minute penalty yesterday .. NOT A CHANCE, 5 years ago certainly, but not on his form over the last 2 seasons. he no longer has that range without a howling gale behind him, and the roof was closed.
                Plato: \"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors.\"

Comment

Originally posted by anno12 View Post
                  You've hit the nail on the head there I think. All the stats show the Lions focus was on defence, possibly hoping to get points only via 1/2p. Gatland seems to have little interest in what players do when they actually have the ball. I wonder what Joe Schmidt would be suggesting if he had been included in the coaching set up?
                  That's exactly why I am delighted he's not there...we don't want to be educating the welsh Lions on how the game should really be played they are happy with Gatland Ball...big bruising encounters little football...twas always so with gatty...Schmidt hopefully could lead a Lions tour to New Zealand...now wouldn't that be interesting.

Comment

I'd go on that tour
                    The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Originally posted by hooke View Post
                      That's exactly why I am delighted he's not there...we don't want to be educating the welsh Lions on how the game should really be played they are happy with Gatland Ball...big bruising encounters little football...twas always so with gatty...Schmidt hopefully could lead a Lions tour to New Zealand...now wouldn't that be interesting.
                      Agree with you on that, but its just that the Lions v Australia is the series that could most easily be won... it feels like a lost opportunity from that angle. But yes from an Ireland perspective - no bad thing!

Comment

Murray to start and I'd like to see SOB start, not sure who'd I leave in the backrow with O'Brien if he starts.

Comment

Originally posted by scotscor View Post
                          Assuming corbisero (?) and roberts fit and that Youngs and warbutton (and POC) aren't.

corbisero, hibbard, jones
                          Grey AWJ
                          SOB, Faleatau, Tipuric
                          phillips, Sexton
                          North, Tuillagi, BOD (c), Bowe
                          1/2p

Vunipola, Best, Cole, Parling, Croft, Murray, Hogg, Davies

If the Lions are on top in the scrum and breakeven in the lineout they can win this. They picked three poor scrumagers in the front five last day. Need to correct that.

Granted with just Grey and AWJ to aim at, the lineout may not be great.

Almost with you, Parling stays and Roberts for Davies, BOD stays at 13

Comment

Yanto in - Parling out
                            Jaw or Manu in - Davies out.
                            Pikey in - Murr bench
                            If Warburton is crocked its a shoot out between Tip or SOB. I'd go for the heavier fella, team needs a carrier badly.

Otherwise as they were.
                            I am the million man.

Comment

Laurie's thoughts

@LordLaurie58: Lions need to generate quicker ruck ball to give their attack any chance. An average 4 second clearance is way too slow to threaten good D.

Comment

From Lions Facebook page:

The British & Irish Lions confirmed today [Monday] that captain Sam Warburton would play no further part in the tour after suffering an injury during the Second Test.

Warburton remained in Melbourne after the match under the supervision of Lions team doctor Eanna Falvey to undergo a full medical assessment and a scan confirmed a significant tear in his left hamstring.

He will remain with the tour party for the Third Test in Sydney on Saturday.

Warburton said, “It is incredibly disappointing to be ruled out of the tour through injury as we head to Sydney for the deciding match. I wish the team all the best and hope I can play some part in the build up this week. I am confident that the boys can finish the job off and secure the series win.”
                                Life is good

Comment

Working...
                                X