No announcement yet.

Lions v's Aus 3rd Test Sydney

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The aussies can take off their tinfoil hats now....about IRB stitch up and conspiracy
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
      IMHO It is like this at the moment cos:
      -The Lions are an outmoded concept
      -Its bloody difficult to get a bunch of disparate players, from different cultures who are normally opponents to gel into an effective tour party, test squad & team
      -Hence why teamwork things like the lineouts, scrums, backs running & moves have all looked pretty crap tbh while individual skills like kicking, tackling, one off runs, etc have looked reasonable v the Aussies i.e. the Lions are playing like a bunch of individuals cos they are just a bunch of individuals

then there's a few specifics:
      -Hookers have been really poor- Best losing his lineout form was a real body blow for the Lions chances
      -To lose 2 x loose head props was careless and catastrophic (' to lose the first was unfortunate, the second careless..' (obviously) )
      -Lions midfield are poor, piss poor going forward & okay defending
      -POC was the inspirational figure who may have just lifted this group of individuals and cajoled them into a test winning team- he did that in the first test but he is now badly missed.

I was surprised the Lions won the first test but they managed it in fairness (although arguably lucky), the Aussies (as I predicted) would win the 2nd (& they should have by more IMHO), and I'd be amazed if the Lions can win the 3rd.

But its sport, the Lions have significant players likely to be fit again (Corbs & Roberts), Aussies may be down Horwill, its O'Driscolls last stand, I don't underestimate the nostalgia and effect of his will to win & the affect of that to lift those around him, and finally, Poites reffing so even if the Aussies are better (which is likely IMHO) the Lions could still win due to the erratic one!!
      Not trying to stir things; however if they loose this would this spell the end of the concept....?

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
        The aussies can take off their tinfoil hats now....about IRB stitch up and conspiracy
        Two chances of that happening.
        Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

So, the head is no longer sacrosanct in rugby.

Comment

Dave Kearney wouldnt think so either.......

oh no he didn't. ...

"Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
              Two things ill suggest:

1) always thought Cryo therapy is bollox, are the lads plain exhausted?

2) midweek games were utterly worthless, what's the accumulated points difference like?
              I agree completely, they look knackered, why is anyones guess but Spala always preceded crap flat looking Irish performances
              My computer thinks I'm gay
              What's the difference anyway
              When all the people do all day
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by supiebrian View Post
                Not trying to stir things; however if they loose this would this spell the end of the concept....?
                No unfortunately, cos its still making money for the main protagonists, home unions, host union, regional teams & sky sports.

alas they are just north munster now.......

Comment

Roberts, Phillips, and Corbesiero all reckoned to be near full fitness.
                  Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                  Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Originally posted by Daithi View Post
                    No unfortunately, cos its still making money for the main protagonists, home unions, host union, regional teams & sky sports.
                    We already have a whinging about the Lions thread, a number of them in fact
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by supiebrian View Post

If losing series was likely to have that outcome, it would all have finished some time ago. I'm 37, and the Lions have won two series in my lifetime.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by LondonMunster View Post
                        The Wallabies lose games when their ball is slow, their set piece if fupped and they face implacable defence. This is not revolutionary technical analysis. If Gatland and this brain trust can not deliver such a game plan, it is scandalous.
                        So how come Aus tend to beat Eng/Wales/SA etc so often?

Comment

Could it be the Aussies win games because they are a far better side than people appreciate?
                          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
                            So how come Aus tend to beat Eng/Wales/SA etc so often?
                            Because they fail to slow their ball down, and fail to defend well against them?
                            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                              Could it be the Aussies win games because they are a far better side than people appreciate?
                              They are indeed. I noted that they have been referred to as the worst aussie side in a long number of years. The more I have thought about it the more I think this is a nonsense, the team of 2007 that included the likes of Matt Dunning, Al Baxter and such other hysterically poor players was a far weaker side.

This is not yet a vintage aussie side but there are some serious ball players there and the pack are combative at the very least.

The Horwill decision was never going to go any other way, the Aussie's or rather the SH, were not going to hang one of their own during a Lions series. Also if the Lions win on Saturday it will make the result taste even sweeter.

Comment

Corbisiero fit would be a massive boost. Once again Gatland has some tough decisions to make. Both tests have been very close and the Lions have been within an inch of taking the series 2-0 (or indeed losing it 2-0) so to be frank I think any thoughts of him making drastic changes to either lineup or gameplan are crazy talk.

The selection challenges...

What to do at LH if Corbisiero isn't fit?
                                Youngs or Hibbard?
                                Retain Parling?
                                Who to bring in for Warburton? And does that affect the rest of the back row?
                                Who to pick at scrum half?
                                Who to pick at 12?

Let's not waste time with any talk of BOD not starting. If there's one man you want in a series-defining match which is likely to be won or lost by <5 points then O'Driscoll is the first name on the sheet. End of. He's also far and away the best leader in the squad - that could be worth 6 points alone. He will captain the side, and do it as well as he ever does. If there's a lack of pace, or a knock-on, or a penalty given away at the tackle, or a lack of penetration, you can be damn sure that he'll make up for it in other ways. So enough of this nonsense.

If Corbisiero is fit then he gets 60 minutes and Vunipola 20, that one is simple. If he doesn't make it then we're shafted. Not bringing Grant on even for the last 10 minutes shows how much disdain Gatland has for him (has a Scot set foot on the Test pitch yet?).

I thought Youngs did OK on Saturday alsthough not half as well as in the first test. If Corbisiero isn't fit there's an argument for starting Hibbard who is a better scrummager. Otherwise I'd stick with him.

I'd say Parling did fine so would keep 3, 4, 5 the same.

Big call at open-side. The big problem has been getting over the gain line so SOB is the most obvious choice - and the form choice too. Problem is then who do you pick on the bench? Tipuric hasn't been on great form. It actually makes a lot more sense this time around for Gatland to repeat what he did on Saturday - having no second row sub but to have both Croft and Tipuric on the bench - that would give the greatest flexibility.

Scrum half is a MASSIVE call. Murray undoubtedly did enough on Saturday to be involved again this time around - tough call whether he'll start or be sub. I'd marginally rather Murray but I think Phillips will start. Expect to see a 45 minute substitution if things go wrong though.

Who to pick at inside centre though? Davies did OK in the first test but was limp in the second, so he'll definitely be dropped. Roberts would be the obvious choice but in a way I think we lack the zing of Tuilangi. We know North and Bowe can do a job out on the wings, but we're not creating anything in midfield, so (to my surprise) he'd be my first choice. Leave the rest of the side alone.

There's also an argument for rejigging the subs slightly to get Tuilagi involved even if Roberts starts. Leaving Farrell out and having Hogg and Tuilagi as your substitute backs would be one way of doing it. Cuthbert should be left out in any event - even if Farrell is in the 23, then bin any thoughts of Tuilagi and put Zebo in there.

So assuming everyone's fit my XI would be...

Corbisiero
                                Youngs
                                A Jones
                                AW Jones
                                Parling
                                Lydiate
                                O'Brien
                                Heaslip
                                Murray
                                Sexton
                                Tuilagi
                                O'Driscoll