Australia v Lions (2nd Test) Melbourne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australia v Lions (2nd Test) Melbourne

Sounds like Bowe Tuilagi and Roberts all have chance of being back. Only going by comments on tv.

I think only the backrow might get tweaked.... and maybe Roberts back if fit.

It will strengthen 23 as Maitland never looked liked he'd come on.

With Lilo , Aac and Barnes going off....its hard to know who'll be unavailable .AAC would be biggest loss imo.

He only came back from shoulder injury and it looks like he popped it again.
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

You'd hope the Lions will realise if they're going to win the series up front then they can't play a back row balanced towards playing it out wide. Also they have to look at refereeing and learn from it. Not many changes to make, I'd have Lydiate or SOB at BS. Considering his poor form not sure what Roberts would actually bring at the moment. Phillips should be dropped but won't be. I'd still look at an all rounder option on bench not Maitland. Mid week game will be interesting - if Bowe is fit will they drop Cuthbert or just bench Bowe?
    \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

POC looked in distress with ice on his right wrist and forearm in the dressing room afterwards, would be a major blow to the Lions, hopefully Corcoran will be on the wireless soon with a report.
      We made a balls of it, and that's something we've got to live with: Ronan O'Gara. (losing home HC record v Leicester)

Look at soccer. If you get tackled, you pretend you are half dead. If you get punched in the face in rugby, you try to pretend nothing happened. (Paul O'Connell)

Comment

Bowe passed fit, in for Cuthbert.

Comment

3 changes for next week hopefully - Lydiate for Croft, Roberts for Davies and Bowe for Cuthbert.....SOB onto bench for Lydiate and Zebo for Maitland

Comment

I would have SOB on at six, other than that agree.

Comment

One change for me next week. I'll be barracking for the Aussies.

Deans has a few injury headaches to worry about for us, but he's not without options. Assuming Faingaa comes in to the centres and O'Connor gets another chance at 10, the 12 jersey is the only one up for grabs. I'd like to see Cummins come in at right wing and move Folau to FB and Beale in at second five to share playmaking responsibilities with O'Connor.

I'd say the Lions will bring in Bowe for Cuthbert and Roberts for BOD. There will be a few lads on Tuesday who could force their way in with good performances. Lydiate, SOB, B Youngs/C Murray and Tuilagi. The front row won't change and Parling plus O'Connell seems a bit light in the second row.

Comment

Can't understand why anyone from Ireland or GB would shout for Australia. Actually I can't understand how anyone would shout for them full stop, unless they were playing the Blackness...and even then...

Comment

Originally posted by HenryFitz View Post

Deans has a few injury headaches to worry about for us, but he's not without options. Assuming Faingaa comes in to the centres and O'Connor gets another chance at 10, the 12 jersey is the only one up for grabs. I'd like to see Cummins come in at right wing and move Folau to FB and Beale in at second five to share playmaking responsibilities with O'Connor.

I'd say the Lions will bring in Bowe for Cuthbert and Roberts for BOD. There will be a few lads on Tuesday who could force their way in with good performances. Lydiate, SOB, B Youngs/C Murray and Tuilagi. The front row won't change and Parling plus O'Connell seems a bit light in the second row.
                  Beale to stay 15, JOC to 12, Matt Toomua to 10 and Faingaa to 13, 9/11/14 stays the same

or

Beale 15, JOC 10, Tapuai 12, Faingaa 13 and rest the same

Comment

Originally posted by Viigand View Post
                    Can't understand why anyone from Ireland or GB would shout for Australia. Actually I can't understand how anyone would shout for them full stop, unless they were playing the Blackness...and even then...
                    I don't think I've ever seen a Lions team play with as little ambition. They're supposed to be showcasing the best of rugby from the Isles. If that's the best they can do, the game is in big trouble up here. Following on the worst 6N ever, it's disappointing to see more of the same conservative, guileless bosharama down under.

Comment

If Bowe comes in Cuthbert will probably go to the bench as Bowe can cover centre, wing and FB. I'd be tied between Lydiate and SOB. Would probably put Lydiate to start and SOB on the bench to bring a hard carrying impact later on. Lydiate as the grinder, especially in the tackle, would free the other 2 to be themselves and bring a balance to the back row.
                      \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

I don't think I've ever seen a Lions team play with as little ambition. They're supposed to be showcasing the best of rugby from the Isles. If that's the best they can do, the game is in big trouble up here. Following on the worst 6N ever, it's disappointing to see more of the same conservative, guileless bosharama down under.

in fairness Aussies didn't make many linebreaks either, O Connor was anonymous and AAC and McCabe offered little going forward.....and were hardy in Lions 22 for any period of time...and Genia ended up box kicking quite a bit in 2nd half.
                        Yes you could say same about similar in Lions backline like Phillips or Davies...but painting one team as boring and the other as this incisive attacking team wasn't the game i was looking at.
                        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Roberts for JD, Bowe for Cuthbert (who will get bench spot even though I would love to see Zebo there) that's it....they will stick as closely as they can to winning formula. I was very disappointed at Wallabies play but they were rusty, I expect them to step up next week and take it to the 3rd game for the series...at least I hope so.

Comment

anyone who plays more than 40mins on tuesday will not be in the test 22.

Bowe will get maitland's spot. Its an irrelevent topic talking about Cuthbert being dropped- it's not going to happen.

Even if Roberts is fit- is he match fit? Thats a gamble to drop Davies for him especially when the Aussies are unlikely to provide a huge threat at 12 with the injuries

There might be a change to the balance in the backrow but its unlikely in my opinion.

They aren't going to radically change a team that won a Test match. Where the changes will come is the bench.

There is a strong chance Lydiate might get in as Mowen was superbh for the Aussies playing the same type of game Lydiate plays for Wales.
                            I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

Oddly the one change I would be most confident they'd make is Bowe coming straight into the team ahead of Cuthbert. We saw the prime example in the one match earlier, Cuthbert cut to shreds defensively and Bowe playing like North's twin brother. They should put a grinder in at BS, if they will I don't know but I really don't see the benefit of Croft. Heaslip is as good a lineout operator (ignore Sky's nonsense) and Warburton is the lineout man of the Wales backrow so he doesn't add as much as you'd think. They have North (only slightly shorter but a stone heavier and quicker), Cuthbert (same height/weight and quicker) and Davies (shorter but same weight and quicker) all out wide to finish the chances. Why do they need a backrow standing out there to do what those guys will do and then you have halfp/BOD who are more than capable of finishing chances. I really don't see what playing a back row as a big 13.5 is gaining this side, they don't need it, but clearly they do need a grinder at the breakdown and fringes.
                              Last edited by Evil Omer; 22nd-June-2013, 18:01.

Comment

Working...
                              X