Lions V Aussies (First Test)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lions V Aussies (First Test)

(Former) Part-time Rabo Pro12 player George North is now rated at "less than 50-50" for the first test. That's Shane Williams nailed on so... Couple this with Dr. jaw pulling up and it's looking a lot less rosy for The Fat Kiwi.
    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

I heard Gatland was last seen kicking ta fup out of a shrubbery
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

While yelling "Bonsai"?
      The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

The really disturbing thing is he was just in his shorts, several people were hospitalised with shock
        My computer thinks I'm gay
        What's the difference anyway
        When all the people do all day
        Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
          (Former) Part-time Rabo Pro12 player George North is now rated at "less than 50-50" for the first test. That's Shane Williams nailed on so... Couple this with Dr. jaw pulling up and it's looking a lot less rosy for The Fat Kiwi.
          With him and Roberts out I'd fancy Australia.

No other winger available is as good as North and Roberts is by far the best 12.

From 11-15 Australia will be stronger IMO.

This is where the losses in the front-row will come back to haunt the Lions. That was an area where the Lions had a real advantage. Not so sure they do now
          I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

The Oz front 5 is too weak. Lions will win the test and the series.
            "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Aussies wont have an test tested outhalf if its JOC or Beale so we have advantage there, i worry about our lineout, our scrum should be fine. quagmire gone could be a massive blow because i think our gameplan is basically roberts and BOD all day. being down two of our test back three (north and bowe) is also maybe too much too handle.

Unless the aussie come out and show something we havent seen before i think the lions will still win the series 2-1 providing we win the first test. Otherwise who knows. still too many varibles i think.
              "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
                With him and Roberts out I'd fancy Australia.

No other winger available is as good as North and Roberts is by far the best 12.

From 11-15 Australia will be stronger IMO.
                I really doubt that, it depends on who Deans selects.

If he plays Israel Folau on the wing the Lions will still dominate, he can't kick to save himself and your rush defense will work. Still a League player and easy to turn the ball over in contact.

Kurtley Beale has not played a full game since the Start of March, the high tempo of Test rugby should be to much. James O'Connor is not a international fly half and should be on the wing (And yes I am a Melbourne Rebels fan saying that)

Center combo options:

12 Lilo 13 Ashley Cooper - Lilo on debut will be interesting, plays as a second play maker and is very dangerous
                12 Horne 13 Ashley Cooper
                or 12 McCabe 13 Ashley Cooper

The last 2 give clear advantage to the Lions as Deans will be playing exactly how everyone is expecting.
                Every Dog has it's Day

Comment

Lions have a predominantly Welsh team ( if everyone is fit)- Wales can't beat Australia despite having a superior front 5.

Australia play NZ 3 times every year and give them more problems then anyone else in the world does. Which means their backs must be fairly decent.

Kurtley Beale is a seasoned international rugby player and a genius when on form. A few weeks off won't be a problem especially if his head is right.

Only issue with JOC at 10 for me is he won't put the ball behind the rush defence like Sexton would. Which may play into the Lions hands. However this lad has every skill in the book.

Any backline with O Connor, Beale, Cooper, Berrick barnes and Genia matches up exceptionally well with anything the Lions have.

My view is I reckon the Aussies will feel if they keep the ball in play and avoid the set-piece they can win the Series
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

...My view is I reckon the Aussies will feel if they keep the ball in play and avoid the set-piece they can win the Series
                    Nobody can do that.
                    Yorn desh born, der ritt de gitt der gue,
                    Orn desh, dee born desh, de umn bork! bork! bork!

Comment

Lions have a predominantly Welsh team ( if everyone is fit)- Wales can't beat Australia despite having a superior front 5.

Australia play NZ 3 times every year and give them more problems then anyone else in the world does. Which means their backs must be fairly decent.

Kurtley Beale is a seasoned international rugby player and a genius when on form. A few weeks off won't be a problem especially if his head is right.

Only issue with JOC at 10 for me is he won't put the ball behind the rush defence like Sexton would. Which may play into the Lions hands. However this lad has every skill in the book.

Any backline with O Connor, Beale, Cooper, Berrick barnes and Genia matches up exceptionally well with anything the Lions have.

My view is I reckon the Aussies will feel if they keep the ball in play and avoid the set-piece they can win the Series
                      Strangely I think the Lions will want to keep the ball in play as well and hope to batter the snot out of Oz. Just power on top of power and work the blindsides till the cows come home. Farrell at 10 would really start to worry me in that scenario. All he does is punts the ball to their 22 in the middle of the field when presented with muck ball. Thats A-OK with the Aussie back 3
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Stay Calm...In Zebo we trust.
                        Tic-Toc. POC and DOC. Stop the clock.

Comment

Originally posted by John Cooper Clarke View Post
                          Nobody can do that.
                          He retired in 2001
                          Nulla semper amicus, servivit mihi, in iniuriam mihi neminem quem non persolvi

Comment

Genia is the main treat, but also does not look as dangerous when Cooper isn't along side him.

Seasoned international does not give you form and confidence when you have been suspended by your club twice in a short time and spent a couple of weeks in a treatment center to get help for a drinking problem.

Berick Barnes 152 minutes of rugby in 2013, the most injury prone player in Australia. Won't last the series if he even starts. Also don't rate him as anything dangerous.

Quade Cooper, not in Robbie Deans 31 man squad, won't get a call up even with the amount of public backlash and not selecting him.

Wallabies back row has been destroyed by injurys. No David Pocock, George Smith, Higgers, Palu. Leaving the 2 sevens of choice as young and inexperienced, a 3rd choice 8 and second choice 6 in the starting line up. Than add Digby Ioane and Tatafu Polota Nau and the advantage is clearly with the Lions, even with the doubts on the wing.

You are talking two debuts on the backline and a fly half who has only one international at 10.
                            Every Dog has it's Day

Comment

Originally posted by Kevino View Post
                              Genia is the main treat, but also does not look as dangerous when Cooper isn't along side him.

Seasoned international does not give you form and confidence when you have been suspended by your club twice in a short time and spent a couple of weeks in a treatment center to get help for a drinking problem.

Berick Barnes 152 minutes of rugby in 2013, the most injury prone player in Australia. Won't last the series if he even starts. Also don't rate him as anything dangerous.

Quade Cooper, not in Robbie Deans 31 man squad, won't get a call up even with the amount of public backlash and not selecting him.

Wallabies back row has been destroyed by injurys. No David Pocock, George Smith, Higgers, Palu. Leaving the 2 sevens of choice as young and inexperienced, a 3rd choice 8 and second choice 6 in the starting line up. Than add Digby Ioane and Tatafu Polota Nau and the advantage is clearly with the Lions, even with the doubts on the wing.

You are talking two debuts on the backline and a fly half who has only one international at 10.
                              I'm not as sold on your argument on the backrow for the simple reason that the Lions aren't going to start the best unit available to them.

A unit of SOB, Tupuric and Faleteau( if he was playing well) would cause the Aussies hell.

However the aussies backrow will cope fine with Croft, warbs and heaslip in my view.

JOC will; play a very similar game to Cooper and there is space out wide for them to exploit as we've seen. What he won't do what Cooper might have doen is the grubbers in behind- there is acres of space behind the Lions defensive line if they shift it wide. He's one of the best players in thw world JOC for me and I wouldn't have any doubts about this lad's ability to step up to the plate.

As regards avoiding the set-piece- Aussies do it every year they play Wales. You can't completely avoid it bu the Lions are making a mistake in my view if they don't use the kicking skills of Sexton at 10. If they do the Lions can win the Test Series

Comment

Working...
                              X