Qld & NSW Combined Country v Lions , Newcastle 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Munsterboy View Post
    Wouldn't read too much into the team performance as a whole. Hard to really get fired up for that and it was mostly being used to try a few things rather than to rack up as big a win as possible.

SOB and BOD are looking very good. Weak opposition but they're both working their socks off and showing lots of class, which many others are not. May force the Welsh boys out. Heaslip is playing ok and Faletau's not going well so he may be in with a shot too. Any chance Gatland would give Seanie a run at 8?

Murray was fine but didn't make a compelling case for the bench spot. That's still 50/50 between him and Youngs imo. Mostly depends what Fats wants in terms of style.

Poor Rory just isn't at the races at the moment. More lineout wobbles and nothing to write home about in the loose. Real shame he's off form.
    Re the backrow...its will be all about balance....but lineout options will need to be taken account of

If its Tupuric & Faletau.....I think Croft will have big chance at 6.
    If its Lydiate and tupuric ...I think Heaslip will have chance at 8.
    If Heaslip is picked I think SOB will lose out.
    Like wise if Croft is picked..Heaslip will lose out.

The 7 jersey is straight shootout with Warburton and Tupuric....though Warburton is a better lineout option than Tupuric ........but.surely Tupuric will get the nod if SW doesnt perfom v Tahs.......so will it be a 6/8 partnership of

Lydiate-Heaslip
    Sob - Falatau (especially if SW is in)
    Croft - Falatau (especially if JT is in)

Id be thinking the sob- sw-faletau is slight front runner at this stage.
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Was bloody cold at the game......some decent play and some very poor play....it was great having the ref microphone on radio so you hear everything going on......BOD was bossing the backs about all game telling them where to stand in defence especially and Heaslip was in charge of the pack....when he went off the silence that descended in the pack was so noticeable.

Good game for Halfpenny to have his first poor one as it should mean the mistakes are out of his system before the test game.

In the warm-ups before the game most of the lineouts were being thrown long to Heaslip at the back but they stopped during the game - lineout jumping in backrow I feel will be a major part of the test selection - likely to mean 1 of Croft/Heaslip will start.

Comment

Originally posted by Bash View Post
        I think Hogg has been the best outhalf on tour ive seen considering sexton has played feck all..
        Bash I think you have to put in perspective...the combined country is the worst team Lions will play....hogg just made a slight case for gatland that he may be comfortable sticking him on bench if sexton or farrell are injured.
        "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

How wet was it AD? Drico splashed in a puddle taking the final grubber. Was it soggy enough to influence handling?
          I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Huwie View Post
            Cuthbert had a decent match today, certainly not a weak player.
            His defense could be better i'd agree, his stature lets him down that way - a bit lanky. I think Farrell snr. needs to do a bit more work with him, maybe have him approch a little deeper in defence. He's coming in a bit too fast and square for my liking, and getting caught off balance.
            Cuthbert can tackle/take on the big forwards like North can and that could be invaluable in a test match. None of the other back 3s are able for that in the same way. He's also the fastest player in the squad at the moment, Zebo could top that. I don't know.
            .. But sure, we didn't learn much from today's match, Maitland is untested so far.

Happy to see SOB back at 6 where he belongs though.
            As with any of those quickest player things you have to know distance. For years Dempsey was one of the quickest players in Irish rugby (over 100m, shorter distances he wasn't so great). For years BOD was blinding over 30-60m but invariably got caught over longer distances. With Cuthbert I'd suspect he may be one of the quickest over longer distances but he definitely seems sluggish on short sprints, he's been caught once and almost caught again by non test players on shorter run ins. Might be a Trimble style, very quick once moving but takes a few strides to hit that.
            \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

On the back row lineout options, it's telling that SOB has been used massively in the matches he's played, as has Heaslip. In fact Heaslip has been used mainly at the front, SOB mainly at the back. None of the Welsh lads has been used much at all. Croft wasn't used in his game either. To me that suggests that if they're looking at back row balance and lineout options one of SOB and Heaslip is being seriously considered for the tests. On form both of them could be selected as things stand.

If really speculating then the move of Heaslip to front suggests he's the one, they want to be able to say to Australia look we can move our locks around front middle and back but don't assume you can guess where it's going, we've got this guy we can stick at the front and he's a good jumper as well. Could be bluffing but could also be establishing some doubt in Aussie minds. The pisser though is there is clearly something not right in the lineouts, the connection between throw and jumper isn't happening. They're having to reach way inside and I've seen at least 2 throws go through hands where the jumper wasn't ready in time.
              Last edited by Evil Omer; 11th-June-2013, 18:51.
              \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

3 from O Brien, Warburton, Tipuric and Falatau for the test back row.

Comment

What, in the name of all sanity, are SOB and Heaslip up to here?

SOB's "hould hard, I'm off down the shop, wait 'till I'm back with the milk" wave is one thing, but that other nitwit running in to take his own man out and create the underlap...

Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

Is that seen or unseen work?
                    The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by The Word Is Born View Post
                      Is that seen or unseen work?
                      Is there a third option of "Did I just fupping see that?" work?

Comment

What has been unseen cannot be seen.
                        The Beatings Will Continue Until Morale Improves

Comment

Originally posted by Thomond78 View Post
                          What, in the name of all sanity, are SOB and Heaslip up to here?

SOB's "hould hard, I'm off down the shop, wait 'till I'm back with the milk" wave is one thing, but that other nitwit running in to take his own man out and create the underlap...

It seems to be the gameplan of Gatland's for them......whenever they attacked one side of the pitch no matter how narrow the shortside they nearly always went there and had numbers on the shortside.....numerous times they went to the shortside even though there was no space and more numbers there to create space on the far side.....it happened so often that it must be a directive from above....

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                            How wet was it AD? Drico splashed in a puddle taking the final grubber. Was it soggy enough to influence handling?
                            It wasn't raining wet but the cold made it extremely dewy and slippery from about 20/25 mins in when the temps dropped fairly dramatically.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
                              It seems to be the gameplan of Gatland's for them......whenever they attacked one side of the pitch no matter how narrow the shortside they nearly always went there and had numbers on the shortside.....numerous times they went to the shortside even though there was no space and more numbers there to create space on the far side.....it happened so often that it must be a directive from above....
                              Gatlandball is to work it to the corner, pin more players on the blind than you have, then go wide with numbers over. That's what Murray's doing: two defenders on the blind, no attacker, numbers over, right it goes.

Then Heaslip arrives.

Heaslip didn't go to the blind side, or wide. He signalled left, then trundled right and made, oooooh, whole centimetres of ground.

Comment

Thats tipuric at 7 ...no? Or am I missing the point

Comment

Working...
                                X