Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qld & NSW Combined Country v Lions , Newcastle 2013

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Qld & NSW Combined Country v Lions , Newcastle 2013

    Well what ye think after first 3 games ...I dont necessarily think midweek team will appear this week in full this week...there still is a few spots in 23 up for grabs.
    Murray should another chance...gatland knows what Phillips has to offer.
    I think Warburton will play again.
    It will be a tricky selection for gatland as I think he will want to see some combo's but will have eye on Waratahs game...especially for som players who didnt play v Reds

    Corbisiero
    Best
    Cole
    Evans
    Aw J
    Croft
    Warburton
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Maitland
    Roberts
    Bod
    Hogg
    Halfpenny

    Though I could be completely wrong with that xv..
    Time is coming close to replace Kearney if hes not fit.
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

    #2
    Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
    Well what ye think after first 3 games ...I dont necessarily think midweek team will appear this week in full this week...there still is a few spots in 23 up for grabs.
    Murray should another chance...gatland knows what Phillips has to offer.
    I think Warburton will play again.
    It will be a tricky selection for gatland as I think he will want to see some combo's but will have eye on Waratahs game...especially for som players who didnt play v Reds

    Corbisiero
    Best
    Cole
    Evans
    Aw J
    Croft
    Warburton
    Heaslip
    Murray
    Sexton
    Maitland
    Roberts
    Bod
    Hogg
    Halfpenny

    Though I could be completely wrong with that xv..
    Time is coming close to replace Kearney if hes not fit.
    I've a feeling Zebo is a sure fire call up. With Kearney not starting anything so far they'll need cover at full back and now on the wing with Tommy Bowe going home.
    To The Brave and the Faithful, Nothing is Unpublishable.

    Comment


      #3
      Would like to see Zebo, but wouldn't rule out Brown. Visser would suit the Gatland mould though.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

      "Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy


      "I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by joeriddick View Post
        I've a feeling Zebo is a sure fire call up. With Kearney not starting anything so far they'll need cover at full back and now on the wing with Tommy Bowe going home.
        I don't see any point in Zebo going out to play in the mid-week team. He's better left where he is- playing for Ireland. I don't see the winger who gets called up playing Test Rugby. Zebo has plenty of time to go the next time round.

        Regardless of form Gatland now is likely to revert to type and go for two big wings on the wings. One fortunately in North is world class and has the potential to be one of the best wings ever to play the game. The other is average in Cuthbert.
        Brian Smith gives an excellent analysis in the Independent today of how all Gatland teams play-.

        This Country team mid-week are crap. So I'd imagine he'll throw out two Test Combos midweek either in the back row or the back 3. And start maybe 10 of the Test team versus the Waratahs and the rest coming off the bench.

        At this juncture we've only two certainties to start the Test side POC and Sexton with BOD almost likely to start.
        I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

        Comment


          #5
          Is that confirmed joe about bowe?
          Havent really been online much today.
          If so ...gutted for him...said all along he was Lions Xv cert.

          With Bowe out....I think Visser might get call. The patterns of play the Lions (gatland and howley) use is reliant on sizeable wingers...visser is sort of in that cuthbert north mould....none the class of bowe or north though.
          He might bring seperate fullback altogether.
          I think Zebo and Foden for that matter are classier players than Visser but it could be a case of wrong coach wrong time.
          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

          Comment


            #6
            Do find the dismissal of Zebo due to needing sizeable wings a bit odd. Zebo 6'2 around 15st. He's not a small lad.
            \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by The Outlaw View Post
              Gatland now is likely to revert to type and go for two big wings on the wings.
              Two big wings on the where?

              Comment


                #8
                They're targeting next Saturday for RK to start. If he can get through an hour, they'll be happy enough. They'll want him around for the 2nd and 3rd tests as cover. Hogg hasn't sparked the way they were hoping and was very nervy at times today.

                Sexton doubtful to be involved on Tuesday. His hammer is apparently being monitored. Doubt he'll start on Tuesday. It's a completely mickey mouse game. I wouldn't rule out Hogg getting a few minutes at 10 if they're being serious about him covering that slot.

                Comment


                  #9
                  @lionsofficial:
                  Forwards - Corbisiero, Hibbard, Cole, Gray,Evans, O'Brien, Tipuric, Heaslip

                  Backs - Maitland, Cuthbert, O'Driscoll (c), Roberts, North, Hogg, Murray

                  Replacements - Best, Grant, Stevens, AW Jones, Faletau, Phillips, Davies, Halfpenny

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Can't wait to go to this game.....think they might test out HOgg at 10 in this game....and possibly the Halfpenny/Kearney wing/fullback combination

                    Corbisiero
                    Best
                    Cole
                    Evans
                    Aw J
                    Croft
                    Warburton
                    SOB
                    Murray
                    Hogg
                    Maitland
                    Roberts
                    Bod
                    Halfpenny
                    Kearney

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
                      Can't wait to go to this game.....think they might test out HOgg at 10 in this game....and possibly the Halfpenny/Kearney wing/fullback combination

                      Corbisiero
                      Best
                      Cole
                      Evans
                      Aw J
                      Croft
                      Warburton
                      SOB
                      Murray
                      Hogg
                      Maitland
                      Roberts
                      Bod
                      Halfpenny
                      Kearney
                      This isn't the team

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Late try View Post
                        @lionsofficial:
                        Forwards - Corbisiero, Hibbard, Cole, Gray,Evans, O'Brien, Tipuric, Heaslip

                        Backs - Maitland, Cuthbert, O'Driscoll (c), Roberts, North, Hogg, Murray

                        Replacements - Best, Grant, Stevens, AW Jones, Faletau, Phillips, Davies, Halfpenny
                        As expected. With the Waratahs game set to be the dress rehearsal for the test, I think we can rule out Davies and Stevens from being in contention for the test 23 now. Faletau on shaky ground too it appears but his presence may be down to Croft not being fit after taking a heavy knock to the head.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Looks like Gatland is going down the Geech route of keeping them guessing. The test XV did not play together before the 1st test last time, though many of the units in the team played against the Sharks on the Wednesday. Very few of the Saturday team who played Province were included in the 1st test team, though that may not have been intentional. Geech tried to keep everyone interested by using the Wednesday and Saturday games as effective shoot-outs. However, the opposition were of comparable quality last time. Tuesday's game is against a second-rate scratch XV. If O'Driscoll and/or Roberts start the 1st test, they won't have played against serious opposition at any point on the tour. Same goes for O'Brien, Tipuric and/or Heaslip. That is, unless Gatland selects them again on Saturday.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            With the Brumbies game on the Tue before the test I'd expect most of the test team to play against the Tahs.....

                            That should be the Lions backrow, 11-14 there in that team....

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Very strange, had expected dirt trackers by now, hard to guess test side based on that selection
                              My computer thinks I'm gay
                              What's the difference anyway
                              When all the people do all day
                              Is stare into a phone

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X