Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gatty's mistakes

1. Captain

very few players are definite starters, POC, BOD and halfpenny are, and 2 of them are captain material, warburton isn't a nailed on starter and the decision seems to be a political one that could well backfire.

2. Hartley

Doesnt have the temperament for it, and that was obvious before he called the ref what he did.

3. Matt stevens

enough said

4 Out-halfs

it can't be right that a player is allowed to dictate his terms, which it appears is what wilko is doing.

Not having picked Schmidt as a member of the coaching team.

Comment

6. Graham Rowntree

edit: dont agree on your analysis of the jonny wilkinson situation! your totally wrong of course the player can dictate what he wants to do!
      Last edited by Bash; 25th-May-2013, 17:52.
      "I can't say, I'm the referee, I'm not your coach" - Romain Poite

Comment

Don't think Wilkinson dictated, Lawrence. My understanding is that a decision was reached between him and the coaching team before the announcement as to how to allow him to finish his season with Toulon without delaying the start of the tour for everyone else. The current choreography allows Gatland to maintain the illusion of a three line whip for Hong Kong without an almighty row with the FRU and Toulon.

He's on the tour (at least according to a former England coach).
        "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Totally agree regarding the absence of Schmidt. Could it be because Gatland sees Schmidt as a rival for the job he really wants (NZ coach) and is reluctant to provide him with more positives for his CV? Given all Schmidt has achieved I cant see anyone seriously selecting Howley/Farrell over him - without some other reason. With Gatland's poor record against Australia you'd expect him to want to bring more good external coaching talent with him, as the current Wales set up dont seem to have provided the answer. I know Wales have done well in the 6N - but not against the southern hemisphere teams, and the Lions are not preparing to play France!

I still dont understand the selection of Sam Warburton as captain either. He's not the best 7, he was even dropped during the 6N. I think he's a nice lad but not the best leader. Yes Im biased but Id have picked POC. Gatland's argument about selecting him because of how well the ref (Steve Walsh?) reacted to him when not captain ... went nowhere for me. Gatland also said Warburton would obviously start every game ... well Im not full of optimism!

Sensitivity to how players get on with referees ... then selecting Hartley ...

Comment

For me there are no Gatty mistakes he is getting Wales prepared for the WC 2015 .

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
              Don't think Wilkinson dictated, Lawrence. My understanding is that a decision was reached between him and the coaching team before the announcement as to how to allow him to finish his season with Toulon without delaying the start of the tour for everyone else. The current choreography allows Gatland to maintain the illusion of a three line whip for Hong Kong without an almighty row with the FRU and Toulon.

He's on the tour (at least according to a former England coach).
              Then why not announce that as being the case? obviously he would be finishing the season with his club if he was picked, every player is.

Comment

Originally posted by anno12 View Post
                .....I still dont understand the selection of Sam Warburton as captain either. He's not the best 7, he was even dropped during the 6N..................

Its easy to understand it when you realize who is paying gatlands wages. If the lions coach was English robshaw would probably be captain, and if Irish they would have to choose between POC and BOD.

Comment

Originally posted by lawrence View Post
                  Then why not announce that as being the case? obviously he would be finishing the season with his club if he was picked, every player is.
                  Nathan Hines didnt
                  The Source for this post is The Internet

Comment

Originally posted by Bosco View Post
                    Nathan Hines didnt

And he should have fulfilled his club commitments at the time. The thing I dont get with wilko is why cant they announce him as being picked and that he will join them when his time with the club finishes? Is it so as not to appear to be giving foreign based players what they want when the boards of their respective countries want them at home?

Comment

Because Gatland was on the record as saying that all tourists would be there from day one.

The home nations have already had run ins with the French about the availability of players based there for summer and autumn fixtures.
                      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Originally posted by Balla Boy View Post
                        Because Gatland was on the record as saying that all tourists would be there from day one.

The home nations have already had run ins with the French about the availability of players based there for summer and autumn fixtures.

I imagine the irfu might be heading for such a run in later this year , and early next year

Comment

I imagine the irfu might be heading for such a run in later this year , and early next year
                          He who pays the piper picks the tune.
                          The IRFU know this!
                          Stay cool .None of us are in the brain trust,right!

Comment

Sexton has release periods for international rugby that go beyond the IRB-mandated ones written into his contract.

Comment

Picking neither ROG nor Stringer for the tour. There I did it, typed that without bursting out laughing.

I do think a mistake has been made picking just one recognised inside centre and a crashball rather than a footballing one at that. Yes Roberts is sound, but Twelvetrees should have made the trip ahead if Davies. The Wallaby backs are hard to crack and looking at the Lions' backs it would appear that other than Jonny's wraparound and BOD's passing the only threat is fast straight running backs. I doubt McGahan is losing sleep over how to defend against them.

Comment

Working...
                              X