X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who will be the lions captain?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/rug...Australia.html

Brian Moore thinks it should be POC.

Poc, Hands down after a great comeback. Gatty will bring Bod for his moments of brilliance. Poc to scare the bejaysus out of them.
    If he gets cited he might miss a week which would give him a nice break.
    Eddie Walsh's a sound lad and may not even cite him after all. Im glad its inhouse and not the Erc.
    When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

The rumour going around is that AWJ is going to get it.

Comment

I think Gatland said before the 6 nations that he had already made up his mind on the captaincy. That would seem to rule out O'Connell due to the uncertainty about his fitness at the time. I'd say its between Warbutton, Robshaw and O'Driscoll. They have the three best records as captains anyway. Problem is with O'Brien in the mix for the 7 jersey who can be sure of starting at openside?
        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

O'Brien's form has solved that dilemna
          My computer thinks I'm gay
          What's the difference anyway
          When all the people do all day
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
            He will be doing well to tour. POM played him off the park on Saturday.

He's been shown up as 1 dimensional at times this season. Between the giving away of silly penalties and his refusal to pass/offload, he's a player that teams have dealt with fairly easily this season.
            Lacks the dynamic pace he used to have since the injuries, a summer off could see him back as good as ever
            My computer thinks I'm gay
            What's the difference anyway
            When all the people do all day
            Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by tickettout
              He will be doing well to tour. POM played him off the park on Saturday.

He's been shown up as 1 dimensional at times this season. Between the giving away of silly penalties and his refusal to pass/offload, he's a player that teams have dealt with fairly easily this season.
              Yep, Sob hasnt developed his game as much as we would have liked. But I'd say you would live with that if he was at his explosive best but he isnt. He really hasnt been on his game this year.
              His not looking as fit after his operation. He needs a break. And a tour down under isnt what he needs.
              His young enough to come back to form next year.
              When their numbers dwindled from 50 to 8, the other dwarves began to suspect Hungry

Comment

Agreed that SOB isn't where he was, but the guy looks pretty knackered and the injuries/repairs have clearly taken their toll. I still think he will tour though, and hope he does well
                "There are a lot of points that we’ve left behind and this is with a young group. That probably tells you what they’re capable of and that they’re a very good side.

Probably next year or the year after next they will take some stopping"

Anthony Foley, May 2016. Axel RIP

Comment

He will definitely tour imho as he playes both sides and potentially No. 8 as well. My original post was about the potential Lions captain and its decended into more interprovincial willy waving. Just want to point out something here lads according to varying posters on various threads on here Munsters front row dominated Leinster. Munsters lionout dominated Leinster. Munster's backrow dominated lLeinster and here POM dominated SOB. I could go on and on and on..... But did anyone notice that Munster lost? Shocking considering how dominant they were. Rant over.
                  "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

Originally posted by offshorerules View Post
                    I think Gatland said before the 6 nations that he had already made up his mind on the captaincy. That would seem to rule out O'Connell due to the uncertainty about his fitness at the time. I'd say its between Warbutton, Robshaw and O'Driscoll. They have the three best records as captains anyway. Problem is with O'Brien in the mix for the 7 jersey who can be sure of starting at openside?

Someone else said Gatland was only taking 2 OHs which meant the Scottish lad was a certainty to go as he can play OH and SH, personally think it is all bullshlte as I reckon Gatland , if anything, is throwing false trails as he has not yet fully decided on the Captain, probably now down to 3 lads and he is known to favour a forward as Captain.

Gatland has always fancied himself as a PR guru and is always throwing grenades looking for reactions but should they not be directed at the Aussies.

As an aside, Gatland we know does not like EOS but what other individuals in IRFU would he hold responsible for his shortened tenure.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                      Someone else said Gatland was only taking 2 OHs which meant the Scottish lad was a certainty to go as he can play OH and SH, personally think it is all bullshlte as I reckon Gatland , if anything, is throwing false trails as he has not yet fully decided on the Captain, probably now down to 3 lads and he is known to favour a forward as Captain.

Gatland has always fancied himself as a PR guru and is always throwing grenades looking for reactions but should they not be directed at the Aussies.

As an aside, Gatland we know does not like EOS but what other individuals in IRFU would he hold responsible for his shortened tenure.
                      You might be right. Assuming Sexton is back fit and get some gametime I would think Sexton and Farrell are likely to go but I also think he will almost certainly take a third 10. Plenty of candidates for that place.

Glad O'Connell didn't get cited as if had it might have blown his chances of a 2nd captaincy if you're right about Gatland and pr.

Not sure about the IRFU thing. Sure he got shafted but wouldn't he be a bit foolish to continue to hold a grudge at this point? Can't see how that would benefit him.

Comment

If O'Connell is chosen over The Special One he'll replace Kidney as the No 1 Blue Magoo (TM T78) hate figure.

Be interesting to see the Irish Indo lead the campaign against O'Connell while the English papers get over themselves and back him.
                        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2019.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
                          If O'Connell is chosen over The Special One he'll replace Kidney as the No 1 Blue Magoo (TM T78) hate figure.

Be interesting to see the Irish Indo lead the campaign against O'Connell while the English papers get over themselves and back him.
                          That's pretty unlikely,Kidney was disliked because even before the World Cup it was clear he wasn't up to the job and yet the IRFU and Kidney himself decided to keep going.PoC is the 2nd best player Ireland have and is top 3 of all time in the professional era so a Kiwi picking him as captain of a made up team that only get together every 4 years is hardly a reason to change our (very high) opinion of him.
                          Last edited by LeinsterFancyDan; 15th-April-2013, 15:32.

Comment

Actually theres a thought. During the whole Heaslip failing as Irish captain bandwagon the thought struck me that other than BOD the only other stand out options were Best, who was also having injury problems in the AI's, and Sexton.

Comment

Originally posted by LeinsterFancyDan View Post
                              That's pretty unlikely,Kidney was disliked because even before the World Cup it was clear he wasn't up to the job and yet the IRFU and Kidney himself decided to keep going.PoC is the 2nd best player Ireland have and is top 3 of all time in the professional era.
                              And you are an authority on peoples likes and dislikes aswell as their opinions and emotions and also a compiler of rugby players greatness and the skills needed to be an international coach.
                              You really are a fancy dan and are wasted on the interweb.
                              clowns

Comment

Working...
                              X