Australian Squad to face the Lions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Australian Squad to face the Lions

I dunno if a thread for this is already available but what the hay.

I was thinking with the return of the mighty George Smith to the Brumbies, god the Aussies are seriously stacked when comes to backrowers, for example at 7 you could have Liam Gill, Michael Hooper, David Pocock, Eddie Quirk and now George Smith. The article below is related to Eddie Jones saying Smith could walk into the Oz side and i'd nearly agree, he's only 32 (taught he was 40 by now)

http://www.foxsports.com.au/rugby/ed...1#.US6O_zA70wo

Weakness: Frontrow/SecondRow, Horwill still injured, few guys look good at S15 level but dunno if are test standard let alone the standard required to face the Lions.

Backs: With all the talent they have at their disposal they never seem to get the combination right, with Cooper, Beale, Barnes, JOC and Leallifano all wanting to play 10 or 12 it makes Deans job difficult at getting the fit right, Genia will be nailed on 9, wingers, Ioane will be one, leaves a window for others

The standard required to face the lions? Nice
    My computer thinks I'm gay
    What's the difference anyway
    When all the people do all day
    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Pack is the issue...outside the two Bens they struggle for props and even they aren't as good as they were....slipper is young and this test is a couple of years too early...kepu really struggles v really good tighthead ....also at hooker PolatuNou is very inconsistent and seems to be favoured over Moore.

They really struggle without Horwill....and i presume Sharpe is retired... others like Timani haven't impressed. Simmons might be good but like Slipper i think its a couple of years too soon.

Whilst they are flooded with 7s they struggle elsewhere in backrow ....still relying somewhat on Samo and Palu ...not sure Higginbottom is an 8....more of a 6.

At 10 they have nothing settled since QC got injured....i presume since he's back he might go straight in there. If the pack struggles your in Michalak territory with him.

They have some class out back like AAC , Beale , O Connor and Iaone, and Mitchell isn't too bad.

Israel Folau might be the surprise star.

Will be interesting to see will they squeeze them all in or stick with orthodox 12 like mccabe or Anthony faingaa who imo are limited players.

Is B Barnes out of the equation since he went to Japan i wonder.
      "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

Amazing for such a team with "supposed" poor forwards they still manage to beat Eng/Wales/SA/NZ....which we struggle to do

Comment

Originally posted by Aussiedub View Post
          Amazing for such a team with "supposed" poor forwards they still manage to beat Eng/Wales/SA/NZ....which we struggle to do
          Rare that I'd agree with you but I will on this occasion
          Is stare into a phone

Comment

Well are we comparing them to Ireland?

If so they are in trouble.

Plus im interested to see if you think they are winning. those matches because of their forwards...

Plus your disregarding them losing to Both Scotland and samoa at home and Scotland away....and dare i say us.
            "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

The seasons only settling in down under, at this stage before the Lions tour to NZ very few of us had even heard of Dan Carter, I expect they will unearth some serious talent down under for this
              Is stare into a phone

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                The seasons only settling in down under, at this stage before the Lions tour to NZ very few of us had even heard of Dan Carter, I expect they will unearth some serious talent down under for this
                I don't think we'll see too many bolters for Oz, think if all fit the team picks itself with maybe one or two unknowns. Taking a stab at it i'd say:

Alexander, Moore, Slipper
                Horwill, Pyle
                Higginbottom, Smith, Pocock
                Genia, Cooper
                Barnes, ACC
                JOC, Beale, Ioane.

Think Israel Folau, Dom shipperley, Liam Gill and Michael Hooper are likely to be some of the lesser known players to be involved

Comment

Originally posted by NotreDameRFC View Post
                  Well are we comparing them to Ireland?

If so they are in trouble.

Plus im interested to see if you think they are winning. those matches because of their forwards...

Plus your disregarding them losing to Both Scotland and samoa at home and Scotland away....and dare i say us.
                  Their forwards are good enough to win enough ball for their backs to win games....They lost to Scotland at home with a reserve team in some of the worst weather I've ever seen and dominated the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Bromance View Post
                    I don't think we'll see too many bolters for Oz, think if all fit the team picks itself with maybe one or two unknowns. Taking a stab at it i'd say:

Alexander, Moore, Slipper
                    Horwill, Pyle
                    Higginbottom, Smith, Pocock
                    Genia, Cooper
                    Barnes, ACC
                    JOC, Beale, Ioane.

Think Israel Folau, Dom shipperley, Liam Gill and Michael Hooper are likely to be some of the lesser known players to be involved

So up front they have a better hooker and by far the better backrow, the backrow could well be decisive on hard fast ground. As for the backs you'd go a long way to find better, halfback combo in particular is awesome and Beale on his day is the worlds best player
                    Is stare into a phone

Comment

Fair bit of Aussie bigging up going on round here. Cooper is highly highly over rated and liable to falling apart after a few good slaps. Which he WILL be administered in a Lions test

Moore isnt a hooker to write home about.

They won the tri nations in 2011 and that was the first time since they did the back to back 10 years previous to that.

Last November France hockeyed them, they beat England and they beat Italy by the skin of their teeth.

They're a good international side, but have none of the physical dominance of the Boks, nor the all round game and nous of the All Blacks.

+Robbie Deans.

Here's the Tri-Nations/Championship all time tables:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2013-02-28 at 12.22.31.png
Views:	1
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	2476299

By no means am I suggesting they'll be a walkover, but of the 3 tours, I think this one is the best chance of a series win.
                      Last edited by Cowboy; 28th-February-2013, 12:24.
                      I am the million man.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy View Post
                        Fair bit of Aussie bigging up going on round here. Cooper is highly highly over rated and liable to falling apart after a few good slaps. Which he WILL be administered in a Lions test

Moore isnt a hooker to write home about.

They won the tri nations in 2011 and that was the first time since they did the back to back 10 years ago.

Last November France hockeyed them, they beat England and they beat Italy by the skin of their teeth.

They're a good international side, but have none of the physical dominance of the Boks, nor the all round game and nous of the All Blacks.

+Robbie Deans.
                        They've beaten Wales in their last 5 games, they've beaten Eng also....the 2 teams that will make up most of the Lions team/squad.

Australia without Horwill, Pocock, Higginbottom, Cooper, Genia, O'Connor still beat Eng with Beale at 10.

Comment

They've beaten Wales in their last 5 games, they've beaten Eng also....the 2 teams that will make up most of the Lions team/squad. Australia without Horwill, Pocock, Higginbottom, Cooper, Genia, O'Connor still beat Eng with Beale at 10.
                          and England beat NZ....which means as little as Australia form over Wales..Oz have only ever won 4 tests...ever in total v Lions....and this squad (oZ squad) is worse than 2001 and 89 imo.As i pointed out in my original posts they have strengths and weaknesses...AD you just seem to ignore the obvious weaknesses they have ...they are weak in the front 5 but the compensate , inconsistently i might add.....yes they beat England but before that England hammered them in twickenham.Weather....gimme a break.....your ignoring how inconsistent they are...plus the oz tour is no where near as tough over the 10 games as going to nz or Sa.

Comment

Originally posted by sewa View Post
                            So up front they have a better hooker and by far the better backrow, the backrow could well be decisive on hard fast ground. As for the backs you'd go a long way to find better, halfback combo in particular is awesome and Beale on his day is the worlds best player
                            May have a better hooker in your opinion, my opinion is Best is much better, despite his blip against Scotland. As unit goes the Lions front row would be stronger, 2nd rows are a level play ground with neither being an outstanding pair. Backrow is where Oz definitely have the edge if get balance right, halfbacks, depends if they pick Cooper (could be brilliant and brutal). Centres, Lions would have the edge i think, back three well i dunno, tough call again.

Head to head would look like in my opinion:

1. Healy - Alexander
                            2. Best - Moore
                            3. Cole - Slipper
                            4. Hines - Horwill
                            5. POC - Pyle
                            6. SOB - Higginbottom
                            7. Robshaw - Pocock
                            8. Faletau - G Smith
                            9. Phillips/Murray - Genia
                            10. Sexton - Cooper
                            11. North - JOC
                            12. Roberts - Barnes
                            13. BOD - AAC
                            14. Halfpenny - Ioane
                            15. Goode - Beale

How many individuals there are better than their opposite number? Can see the lions winning 8-10 of those battles

Comment

Originally posted by Bromance View Post
                              May have a better hooker in your opinion, my opinion is Best is much better, despite his blip against Scotland. As unit goes the Lions front row would be stronger, 2nd rows are a level play ground with neither being an outstanding pair. Backrow is where Oz definitely have the edge if get balance right, halfbacks, depends if they pick Cooper (could be brilliant and brutal). Centres, Lions would have the edge i think, back three well i dunno, tough call again.

Head to head would look like in my opinion:

1. Healy - Alexander
                              2. Best - Moore
                              3. Cole - Slipper
                              4. Hines - Horwill
                              5. POC - Pyle
                              6. SOB - Higginbottom
                              7. Robshaw - Pocock
                              8. Faletau - G Smith
                              9. Phillips/Murray - Genia
                              10. Sexton - Cooper
                              11. North - JOC
                              12. Roberts - Barnes
                              13. BOD - AAC
                              14. Halfpenny - Ioane
                              15. Goode - Beale

How many individuals there are better than their opposite number? Can see the lions winning 8-10 of those battles

Dont forget George smith retired from wallabies 2 years ago and had indifferent spells in toulon and stade since....be interesting to see how he gets on with brumbies ...im aware he hasn't ruled out a return to international rugby.

Comment

Working...
                              X