Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time now for Euro Lions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Time now for Euro Lions

    A couple of weeks back on Sky, Shane Horgan spoke about his 'British Lions' selection. Given Sky's impeccable recod on the correct nomenclature - I (almost) expected him to be (embarassingly) corrected by one of the Sky presenters. But the boul Shane perhaps has a point - on a previous recent occasion sundry British princes have somehow seemlesly attached themselves to the tour and the British press often forget completely about our (partial) independence.

    But the old boys club that rugby and hence the Lions grew out of and characterised by Shane's remark(sometimes also featuring on the RTE website) has surely had its day and just like the Ryder cup, it is must be time to let our Euro friends into the show - and perhaps play against all the Southern Hemisphere.

    The problems with the current scenario is further compouned by 4 countries going off to play one country and that one country having been beaten by Ireland in a more important fixture in the world cup but a year ago, and arguably when they had a stronger team.

    Let this be the last of the cosy-old-boys-rugger-club trips.

    ...and how refereshing it would have been to have seen a team set of with Sergio Parisse as captain.
    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

    Originally Posted by mr chips
    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

    #2
    of course its the british lions it always has been.

    a euro team would be great
    If the lessons of history teach us anything it is that nobody learns the lessons that history teaches us.

    Comment


      #3
      Time now for Euro Lions

      Think it would be great. Can't see the Blazers ever going for it though
      Con Artist

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post

        ...and how refereshing it would have been to have seen a team set of with Sergio Parisse as captain.
        Yes indeed - a European team led by an Argentinian - and maybe the team could include Risteárd Mac An Strauss (South Africa) and Yannick O'Nyanga (Congo) while we're at it.
        New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

        Comment


          #5
          Don't see any attraction to a Euro side, already got the Barbarians tour if you want a novelty act. Whether people like it or not the Lions started at the point where there was a linked status to justify it. There is nothing similar on a Euro front to justify that linking. In fact there'd be more reason to see the Lions playing against France than with them.
          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

          Comment


            #6
            re. "Barbarians tour if you want a novelty act"

            The same logic applies to the Ryder cup - there is no 'novelty' in that. The Barbarians are a circus that no one takes seriously.

            The gap between North and South has narrowed - Enlgand have won the world cup - having 4 countries playing against one is just silly nowadays. We beat Australia by ourselves. Respect the history and move on before it becomes embarassing.
            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

            Originally Posted by mr chips
            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
              re. "Barbarians tour if you want a novelty act"

              The same logic applies to the Ryder cup - there is no 'novelty' in that. The Barbarians are a circus that no one takes seriously.

              The gap between North and South has narrowed - Enlgand have won the world cup - having 4 countries playing against one is just silly nowadays. We beat Australia by ourselves. Respect the history and move on before it becomes embarassing.
              I'd agree more with your last point than the move to Euro team. If we want a Lions tour then stick to the Lions tour with the format it has. If we want a anyone we can rope in tour then that's a novelty thing with nothing behind it and that's what the Barbarians tour is for. If we don't want a Lions tour as is then drop the whole thing.
              \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Evil Omer View Post
                I'd agree more with your last point than the move to Euro team. If we want a Lions tour then stick to the Lions tour with the format it has. If we want a anyone we can rope in tour then that's a novelty thing with nothing behind it and that's what the Barbarians tour is for. If we don't want a Lions tour as is then drop the whole thing.
                Why do you say "then that's a novelty thing with nothing behind it"?

                The same logic exactly applies to the Ryder cup - you change and evolve when a format runs its course. The boost for example to Italian rugby would be great - why should Italy be excluded - just because they were not owned by Britain a century and a half ago?
                ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                Originally Posted by mr chips
                AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                  Why do you say "then that's a novelty thing with nothing behind it"?

                  The same logic exactly applies to the Ryder cup - you change and evolve when a format runs its course. The boost for example to Italian rugby would be great - why should Italy be excluded - just because they were not owned by Britain a century and a half ago?
                  By any chance have you asked the French and Italians what they think of this proposal? Because, whatever about the Italians, I reckon that the French would bluntly suggest that you immerse yourself in a deep slurry pit - preferably head first.

                  Or how would the Scots - who might well never see another Scottish Lion (other than a Dutch-Scotsman) - feel if the French joined the British and Irish and Manx and Cornish and Channel Islands and Rockall and Italian Lions?
                  New infraction avoidance policy: a post may be described as imbecilic, but its author should never be described as an imbecile.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    re. "Or how would the Scots - who might well never see another Scottish Lion (other than a Dutch-Scotsman) - feel"

                    That is how old-boys-networks operate, not on merit but on tradition that has its best day behind it.
                    ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                    Originally Posted by mr chips
                    AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Nope, Not interested, the Lions tours are a great tradition, in some ways a step back in time when rugby was an amateur sport. I'd have no interest in a Euro v SH tbh.
                      Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by AdolphusGrigson View Post
                        re. "Barbarians tour if you want a novelty act"

                        The same logic applies to the Ryder cup - there is no 'novelty' in that. The Barbarians are a circus that no one takes seriously.

                        The gap between North and South has narrowed - Enlgand have won the world cup - having 4 countries playing against one is just silly nowadays. We beat Australia by ourselves. Respect the history and move on before it becomes embarassing.
                        Just because it works in golf isnt a good enough reason.
                        Aren't the french doing enough whinging about their schedule as it is, they'd never go for it

                        Comment


                          #13
                          No thanks. Would never work.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Tobyglen View Post
                            No thanks. Would never work.
                            Well it doesn't work very well now does it - sending 4 teams to do what one could do on their own -and embarassing listening to players pretending it means everything - just beating Australia - big fecking deal.

                            The comparison with golf is fair one - that was also an old boy network that didnt wants the contintentals involved because they were not and never had been British.
                            ​​​​​​#GiveLeinsterTheHCupNow

                            Originally Posted by mr chips
                            AG gets the responses he does because he is a journalist..

                            Comment


                              #15
                              The nice thing about rugby in the island of Ireland is we have always played rugby as a sport reviewing your first post you seem to wish to change that, If you don't like the British and Irish Lions tour don't watch it.
                              Excellence is hard to keep quite - Sherrie Coale

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X