2nd row pairing for Lions 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since a couple of threads are getting hijacked (mea culpa )...and judging by the list this could be wide open on who goes.

Possible Candidates

POConnell
    D Ryan
    R Gray
    I Evans
    AW Jones
    B Davies
    L Charteris
    G Parling
    C Lawes
    T Palmer
    M Botha

I Henderson (bolter )

5 locks went in 2009 - POC DOC Shaw Hines AW Jones
    5 locks went in 2005 - POC DOC O'Kelly Grewcock Kay (with Shaw and Cockbain added for Kelly and Grewcock)
    5 locks went in 2001 - Davidson O'Kelly Johnson Murray Grewcock

(just as an aside Shaw imo as been hard done by in Lions tours after looking at that.)

Anyway 5 will go on the basis of that ...a mixture of loosehead and tighthead locks needed...

POC Gray Jones Parling and Evans imo.
    "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

POC, Gray, Parling, Jnes, Ryan are the 5 I'd pick

Always a chance Shaw could go next year too!!

Comment

POC, Gray, Lawes, Palmer, AW Jones. I'd say there's lots of competition to partner POC, but can't see anyone shifting him unless he has an absolute stinker of a season. Ryan could tour - the mobility that he and Lawes could offer would be important down there.

The slots will depend on how Gatland sees it working. Does he go with a team who can match Oz for mobility, or a shower of beasts who'll batter them up front. POC, Gray, Ryan and Lawes are equipped to do both I'd say.

I'd still say that Locks are the big hole in the current Welsh side, but that probably won't stop Gatland taking every Welshman who looks vaguely like a 2nd row.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

Is Paul O'Connell really out of the woods injury-wise yet? When was the last time he played fully fit? Lions?
        Munster – Champions of Europe 2006, 2008, 2020.

Comment

Originally posted by rathbaner View Post
          Is Paul O'Connell really out of the woods injury-wise yet? When was the last time he played fully fit? Lions?
          probably true...though to be honest i think he had niggle before that tour too.

according to interview on other thread he has desire to succeed with Lions so if he's fit and his raring to go im happy for him
          "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

POC is a shoe in to start if fit. Could be any of 8 after that, depends on form. Gray would be favourite to partner him imo.

Comment

Yawn, yawn and more yawn-who cares anymore?
              "Fineen Wycherley was everywhere. When I watched this video back late on Saturday night I half expected to look up from my laptop to find him in my kitchen ' TRK Nov 3rd 2019 following Cardiff v Munster

Comment

Originally posted by A Banned Spammer
                MOD EDIT - POSTER QUOTED WAS SPAMMING THE FORUM
                Young Henderson of Ulster and McCarthy of Leinster must be in the running.
                Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                  Young Henderson of Ulster and McCarthy of Leinster must be in the running.
                  Well with POC, Charteris and Jones more or less out. Ian Evans could be gone too.

I'd say Donncha Ryan has a massive chance. More so then both.

For me its Lawes and Ryan as front runners. I dont' rate Gray all that highly
                  I always knew Madigan was a closet Scrum Half. Ignore All things that suggest Continuity.

Comment

After watching Hines in the back to back matches, he was one of the main reasons Clermont won and as they continue to rise, he must be in any 5 to go. + last time he made a sarcrifice on contract to go, Gatty wont forget.

Comment

Originally posted by Stanley View Post
                      After watching Hines in the back to back matches, he was one of the main reasons Clermont won and as they continue to rise, he must be in any 5 to go. + last time he made a sarcrifice on contract to go, Gatty wont forget.
                      And they could save on accommodation as he could stay with his family!?!?!?

Comment

I wouldnt be surprised to see 3 munster 2nd rows there,
                        POC,DOC,DR,Hines,Gray.
                        I hope im wrong these tours are bloodbaths in the long run.
                        clowns

Comment

Henderson I'd have as a genuine chance of making tour if plays any time in 6N
                          \"A million monkeys with a million crayons would be hard-pressed in a million years to create anything as cretinous as Battlefield Earth.\"

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                            And they could save on accommodation as he could stay with his family!?!?!?
                            The brilliance of a mind that see's advantage everywhere! Happy Christmas PP.
                            Gwan Joe!!

Comment

Originally posted by ustix View Post
                              The brilliance of a mind that see's advantage everywhere! Happy Christmas PP.
                              And to your good self my friend, happy Christmas!!

Comment

Working...
                              X