Parling
    Seanie
    Warburton
    BillyV

Leave a comment:

• The Outlaw
    replied
    Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
    8 in 2001 as well, so in the pro rugby era Ireland's representation has averaged out at nearly 10 players per tour, which is fairly high.
    With scotland being a non-entity for the Lions and a non-entity in World Rugby its not that surprising, When you consider England have been terrible from 2005-2012- the 2009 team being the worst English side of all-time in my opinion. The era of 2004 -2013 for Irish rugby in contrast has been our zenith to date.

Its fair to say our reprsentation in 2017 will surely take a small nose-dive on the basis we will have fewer outstanding Test team canditates outside Murray, Healy, POM and possibly the likes of Bowe and maybe Zebo.

England will have a huge representtaion on the next Tour and Wales will still have North and a few others who should be hitting their prime years in that period.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Bit of a slow burner that one

Leave a comment:

• mr chips
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Daithi
    replied
    Originally posted by sewa View Post
    ..... Aside from that Wales maybe last time would have won it bar Rollands shocking decision....
    I presume you are talking about his decision to give a red card against Warburton for a spear tackle right in front of the ref.

Why do you think this was a shocking decision!?

You know the decision implemented the laws of the game!?

And also, there was a memo sent to all the RWC refs for that tournament by the head of the referees, reminding them of this law and how they were to adjudicate on it during games.

IMHO, the only thing shocking about Rollainds decision in that game is the blatant ignorance of the laws of the game & the appropriate penalties due, that people like you have shown afterwards.... shocking, truly shocking! :-)

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    Thats two tours where we had an unusually high representation as a result of not being as ****e as usual, in 97 we did very well to get four, previous tours had even less. I do agree fully that sending POC and Murray to Argentina was barmy. Marmion and D.Foley should have been playing regular Joe ball
    8 in 2001 as well, so in the pro rugby era Ireland's representation has averaged out at nearly 10 players per tour, which is fairly high.

Leave a comment:

• Murillo
    replied
    The Queen is recognising a rugby team that brings us all together, four teams united as one with a proud tradition. I know you dont get it but this is a cornerstone of the rugby tradition in these islands
    Which queen?.. oh the British one.

Lots of queens about these days.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Thats two tours where we had an unusually high representation as a result of not being as ****e as usual, in 97 we did very well to get four, previous tours had even less. I do agree fully that sending POC and Murray to Argentina was barmy. Marmion and D.Foley should have been playing regular Joe ball

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    I dont see any link netween the Lions and RWC success. New Zealand and SA have always been the worlds two biggest teams and they still are. That England have gotten to where they now consistently challenge them is quite an achievment, think its three finals now? Frogs were unlucky not to win the last one but they are massively inconsistent. Aside from that Wales maybe last time would have won it bar Rollands shocking decision. They have never been close to good enough any other time. The fact that ireland have never even been to a semi final is sweet FA to do with Lions tours as usually we send very few players on them. Ireland and Scotland alike bounce around between fifth and tenth in the world and that isnt going to change anytime soon
    Send very few on them? 17 in 09, 11 this time ifirc. That is a fair whack of players when you have a pool as small as Ireland's. I think we would agree that sending players who went on the Lions tour, apart from maybe Zebo, on this mickey mouse tour against a team of Argentinian amateurs was a ridiculous waste of time.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    I dont see any link netween the Lions and RWC success. New Zealand and SA have always been the worlds two biggest teams and they still are. That England have gotten to where they now consistently challenge them is quite an achievment, think its three finals now? Frogs were unlucky not to win the last one but they are massively inconsistent. Aside from that Wales maybe last time would have won it bar Rollands shocking decision. They have never been close to good enough any other time. The fact that ireland have never even been to a semi final is sweet FA to do with Lions tours as usually we send very few players on them. Ireland and Scotland alike bounce around between fifth and tenth in the world and that isnt going to change anytime soon

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    The Queen is recognising a rugby team that brings us all together, four teams united as one with a proud tradition. I know you dont get it but this is a cornerstone of the rugby tradition in these islands
    I agree, and I used to think that but one NH win out of 7 RWCs for the 4 nations makes me think it is time to review it. I think a sensible compromise would be to move it in the cycle so the tour happens 18 months after the previous RWC rather than 18 months before the next.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied

Leave a comment:

• the plastic paddy
    replied
    The Lions tour has nothing to do with the poor Summer tours, the link is tenuos at best. England had a very positive tour pushing All Blacks to limit twice, Ireland have suffered due to mainly to the coaches conservatism and Wales are just gone completely over the top, too old and not enough coming through
    Obviously any connection between teams under performing and Lions tours is 'tenuous', but Gatland has his OBE in recognition of his Lions coaching and his coaching of Wales to Grand Slams and six nations championships has nothing to do with his recognition by Betty Battenburg.

Leave a comment:

• sewa
    replied
    Originally posted by jeepers View Post
    There are dogs in the street that have OBEs.

Geech got knighted!
    Yeah and now Gats got one too, great recognition for him and the Lions

Leave a comment:

Working...
X