No announcement yet.

Gatland gets Lions job

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems from reading it that Gatland is posing the questions back to the writer.

Comment

Gatland gets Lions job

I think his talk of a "tour captain" who might not make the test team should be knocking chunks off the odds of BOD touring and skippering.
      "We will not walk in fear, one of another. We will not be driven into an age of unreason if we dig deep into our history and remember we are not descended from fearful men" Edward R Murrow

"Little by little, we have been brought into the present condition in which we are able neither to tolerate the evils from which we suffer, nor the remedies we need to cure them." - Livy

"I think that progress has been made by two flames that have always been burning in the human heart. The flame of anger against injustice and the flame of hope that you can build a better world" - Tony Benn

Comment

As things stand now I can't see anyone that really stands out as captain so of course Heaslip is going to be mentioned. To be fair to Gatland no decision has to be made for a long time yet and who knows there could be a bolter in the 6N's. The problem now is that it is hard to see who will be guaranteed selection and that is mostly down to injuries so give it a few months and we will see.
        "They’re the benchmark that everyone else has to raise their game to meet." Alan Quinlan on Leinster

Comment

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/20638321
          Lions 2013: Rowntree, Farrell & Howley to be coaches

England coaches Graham Rowntree and Andy Farrell will assist British and Irish Lions head coach Warren Gatland on this summer's tour of Australia.
          Rob Howley, who has stepped in as Wales' interim coach while regular Wales boss Gatland prepares for the tour, will also be part of the staff.
          Rowntree and Howley worked on the 2009 tour of South Africa, but it will be Farrell's first Lions involvement.

Comment

No Irish involvement at all...? Is Gatland taking another swipe at the IRFU or is this justiufied? I'd have thought Schmidt was in with a shout.......

www.bbc.co.uk

England coaches Graham Rowntree and Andy Farrell will assist British and Irish Lions head coach Warren Gatland on this summer's tour of Australia.
            Rob Howley, who has stepped in as Wales' interim coach while regular Wales boss Gatland prepares for the tour, will also be part of the staff.
            Rowntree and Howley worked on the 2009 tour of South Africa, but it will be Farrell's first Lions involvement.

The trio's individual areas of responsibility are yet to be confirmed.
            The Lions will play the Barbarians in Hong Kong on Saturday 1 June before taking on Western Force in their opening match in Australia four days later, while the first Test of the 10-match tour is on 22 June in Brisbane.
            Rugby Football Union chief executive Ian Ritchie confirmed in November he supported Farrell and Rowntree's involvement despite a clash of dates between England's tour of Argentina and the start of the Lions trip.
            Forwards expert Rowntree, who is assistant to England head coach Stuart Lancaster, initially joined the national set-up in June 2007 and was credited with rebuilding the Lions scrum after it came under severe pressure in a first-Test defeat by the Springboks in 2009.
            The former England and Leicester prop, who won three Lions caps in 2005, was one of the few coaches to emerge with credit from the leaked review of England's underwhelming quarter-final exit from the 2011 Rugby World Cup.
            Trust is good; control is better. V I Lenin.

Comment

Rob Howley's Favourite Scrum Half Rob Howley.

Oh, dear.
              Ceterum censeo INM irrumandum esse.

Comment

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyna...1466-32796497/

interesting comments from Gatland.

“At the moment, England are playing well,” he said.
                “They did well in the autumn, particularly the outstanding victory against the All Blacks and, if they do well in the Six Nations, there will be a reasonable contingent of English players.
                “But that brings a certain element of - how do I say it - other pressures that come with selecting a lot of English players.
                “It becomes a much greater media focus from the English papers; potentially a negative focus from the Australian papers.
                “And English players are targeted by other countries.
                “They are not always the most popular with other countries because of the history. People like having a pop at them.”
                Gatland will be well aware of what happened in his native New Zealand during the 2011 World Cup when England’s off-the-field antics - such as a boozy night out at a dwarf-throwing contest and a player jumping off a ferry - generated negative headlines for Martin Johnson’s side.
                “It’s just being aware of potential issues that may arise,” said the Kiwi.
                “We all know what happened with England at the World Cup and the circus that was created.
                “I’ve just got to be aware of the possibilities that, if there are a number of English players on the tour, the same sort of things could be instigated, through stings through the media or set-ups trying to create controversy.”

Read more: Wales Online*http://www.walesonline.co.uk/rugbyna...#ixzz2KiDKQqmI
                "Hell, I'm not saying I'm an angel, but when it came to dirty tricks I couldn't hold a candle to the Irish Mafia" Jimmy Hoffa

Comment

*Whimpers*

This is going to go so, so horribly wrong, isn't it?

Comment

I cant belive Gatland with all his media experience would be so dumb as to make those statements. Hay for the headline makers and (even if reading the entire thing it wasnt that bad) This England team is a lot different to the one in the RWC (God I preferred it when they were behaving badly). But he has set off a **** storm, and now his selection will be under even more scrutiny. And another motivation for the English players to do the Slam.

Comment

I think Gatland has played a blinder!! Has he started his campaign to undermine the 2017 Lions tour against the NZ team he wants to coach already?

Comment

Originally posted by the plastic paddy View Post
                        I think Gatland has played a blinder!! Has he started his campaign to undermine the 2017 Lions tour against the NZ team he wants to coach already?
                        Nah, just Gatland being Gatland.

Comment

I think sometimes he just likes the attention.
                          But this time it sounds like someone rubbed him up the wrong way and he had a mouth fart.
                          The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                          Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Lions coach Gatland hits back over English players furore

Furious Lions coach Warren Gatland has strenuously denied he will limit the number of England players on next summer’s tour because of off-field concerns.
                            Gatland yesterday faced a huge backlash from English pundits after suggesting he was concerned by the external pressures English players might bring to the tour, including increased negative media attention from the British and Australian press.
                            RFU chairman Bill Beaumont issued a statement backing England’s Lions heritage, while former England hooker Brian Moore questioned the New Zealander’s ‘sanity and suitability’ if the comments were meant.
                            But Gatland today insisted he had been misrepresented, and he claimed he would be happy to pick 15 Englishmen in his Test side if they are the best for the job.
                            England are currently the form side in Britain and Ireland after winning their opening two Six Nations matches just a few months after crushing world champions New Zealand.
                            Ironically, Gatland is actually with the England camp today in an observational capacity as part of his preparaton for the June tour.
                            “I am extremely disappointed that anybody should try to misinterpret what I said and try to say that will count against English players,” Gatland said.
                            “The last thing I would ever do is limit the number of English players. There is absolutely no limit to the number of any players from any nation we will pick if they are worthy of a place on the tour. And I would happily pick 15 English players in the first Test at Brisbane if I though they were the best 15 players for the job.
                            “The only consideration for a Lions coach is to get the best 15 on the park to do the job. That’s paramount, I’m not remotely bothered which country they come from. When I first started at Wales I remember I once picked 13 Ospreys for one of my early Tests in charge.
                            “Hand on heart I would never be able to look myself in the mirror if we didn’t pick a player who deserved to go on Tour because he was English. I just couldn’t do that to any individual. Morally it is just wrong," he told the Telegraph
                            Gatland’s statement comes less than 24 hours after he was quoted in the Evening Standard newspaper apparently raising concerns of selecting too many England stars.
                            "English players are targeted by other countries," he said.
                            “They are not always the most popular with other countries because of the history. People like having a pop at them.”
                            Gatland is also well aware of what happened in his native New Zealand during the 2011 World Cup when England’s off-the-field antics - such as a boozy night out at a dwarf-throwing contest and a player jumping off a ferry - generated negative headlines for Martin Johnson’s side.
                            “It’s just being aware of potential issues that may arise,” said the Kiwi.
                            “We all know what happened with England at the World Cup and the circus that was created.
                            “I’ve just got to be aware of the possibilities that, if there are a number of English players on the tour, the same sort of things could be instigated, through stings through the media or set-ups trying to create controversy.”
                            Gatland's comments brought stinging criticism from the likes of former hooker Moore, who used his Twitter account to question the New Zealander's motives.
                            "Gatland comments bizarre & largely unfounded. Australian press will be anti-Lions whatever squad make-up. Person not nation determines a good Lion," he said.
                            "Gatland knows his comments will resonate so he must have a purpose I can't fathom. If made without reason they're needlessly provocative.
                            "If he means those comments, I question his sanity and suitability. If he doesn't, I question their suitability and purpose."
                            RFU chairman Beaumont was another to comment, insisting "Wearing the Lions shirt, whether captain or player, is something that all English players take very seriously. This will undoubtedly continue for those that get picked this time."
                            The axe that cuts the tree can easily forget, but the tree thats been cut will not forget.

Originally posted by the plastic paddy
                            Gwan the Welsh

Comment

Looks like breaking his feet last year didn't make it any harder for him to fit them both into his gob.
                              Tis but a scratch.

Comment

Killer will take his chance in the 6n now that Healy is gone for a while and will end up being a star for the Lions.

Comment

Working...
                                X